Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
dcassetta

Advice on November Cruise

We are considering a November cruise and there are 2 options.  One is a western with stops at Falmouth, Cozumel and Grand Cayman, all of which we have visited.  The second is eastern with Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Key West.  We love Key West, but have not visited the other ports.  Both visit Half Moon, so that is not an issue.  And, as it is Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam, that is not an issue either.  The prices are similar for both.  If any of you have done the eastern itinerary, what did you think?  Thanks!

That second itinerary is about as close as you can get to an all private island cruise....except for the KW stop.  I would take that one in a heartbeat over Cozumel and Grand Cayman.  Plus, it goes to my home of KW, which I miss dearly.  Enjoy whichever cruise you pick. 

I would choose the tropical over the western in a heartbeat.  Just got off that itinerary on December.  It was perfect.  No need for shore exc. at any port.  Very beachy - our favourite.  

We have done both and sailed on both ships.  Last spring we did the Western.  Next week we are doing the tropical again, not because we liked the itinerary (we really don't) but because we got a super deal on a Neptune.  I suppose it depends on what you want to do on a cruise.  We are older and have done the Caribbean many times.  Once you've seen one island, the others are much the same.  That being said, on the tropical, we couldn't dock in HMC or Amber Cove due to high winds.  Ended up going to Samana instead of AC, but it was raining and we don't do ATV's, etc so stayed on ship.  Turks and Caicos was pretty but very windy.  Shops and Margaritaville near pier looked the same as everywhere else.  We stayed on our balcony that day, too. We always get off in KW and go to Dancing Finger on Duval for a marvelous foot/leg massage.  We have been to all of the KW sights many times.  On the western, we do Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cochum in Cozumel and we did a wonderful all inclusive day at Falmouth (check out Resort for a Day Jewel Dunn's River Beach).  Having been to Cayman multiple times, we stayed on the ship, but I just discovered that there is a rum distillery there that makes coconut rum.  The next time we go to Cayman, we will go there and bring back some bottles.  I would choose the western Caribbean without a doubt.

Have done both western and eastern cruises on both ships multiple times.

JMO -- I would go with the Eastern Caribbean cruise.

1 hour ago, sprockie said:

I would choose the tropical over the western in a heartbeat.  Just got off that itinerary on December.  It was perfect.  No need for shore exc. at any port.  Very beachy - our favourite.  

Agree - and we just did this cruise in Dec.  It is a VERY relaxing cruise, no rushing around to see this or that.  Just enjoy the beaches/pools on land or even stay onboard!  

41 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Agree - and we just did this cruise in Dec.  It is a VERY relaxing cruise, no rushing around to see this or that.  Just enjoy the beaches/pools on land or even stay onboard!  

Very true.  We just keep doing this itinerary every year. 

Just some thoughts about Key West, a favorite place of ours.  Going there on a port day is fine, but staying there for a few days is much better then fine and the drive from Miami/Florida City on the Ocean Highway is one of the most picturesque drives in our country.   On quite a few cruises we take out of Port Everglades or Miami we fly--in a few days early, rent a car and drive to KW for 3 or 4 days.  We then drive back the day before our cruise.  It is a relatively easy drive and sure gets us in the mood to go on a cruise.

Hank

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just some thoughts about Key West, a favorite place of ours.  Going there on a port day is fine, but staying there for a few days is much better then fine and the drive from Miami/Florida City on the Ocean Highway is one of the most picturesque drives in our country.   On quite a few cruises we take out of Port Everglades or Miami we fly--in a few days early, rent a car and drive to KW for 3 or 4 days.  We then drive back the day before our cruise.  It is a relatively easy drive and sure gets us in the mood to go on a cruise.

I'm a little biased because it's where I call home but I firmly believe the drive down the Overseas Hwy is one of the most beautiful in the World. 

Image result for overseas hwy

Thanks all. We spent a week in Key West about a decade ago, and really enjoyed it. One of the nice things about stopping there on a cruise is seeing the things that have changed, and of course the things that haven’t changed. Chickens!

If you do go to KW and like sipping rums, the tour at Papas Pilar (Hemingway Rum Co) is well worth it. Educational and delicious..

I can't speak for the full itineraries, but I like Cozumel and Grand Turk, although quite popular ports of call.

If you are looking for a day pass at a mostly adult-oriented beach club, Nachi Cocom in Cozumel is great. It was $65 pp when we went. The food and drinks were included and it was a very relaxing day. I did snorkel here, but there were not a lot of fish, although I was pleased with what I saw right off the beach. Here is a video:

Cozumel - Nachi Cocom Beach Club https://youtu.be/HWVhLuEm46o

Grand Turk is nice for many reasons.  If you want to save some money, the beach is right off the ship.  You can buy drinks and food around the terminal and in Margaritaville, but we never spend any money in Grand Turk.  If you like to snorkel, the snorkeling is pretty good and better than Nachi Cocom.  Here's some videos from different places in the Grand Turk cruise terminal:

Grand Turk Cruise Terminal Highlights https://youtu.be/O8nx-HBg8js

Grand Turk Margaritaville only https://youtu.be/XxJBcnxP0eI

Grand Turk - Snorkeling with a Barracuda https://youtu.be/siGqNnjrDd0

Grand Turk - Snorkeling with parrot fish https://youtu.be/9y0QOaMk5Sw

Grand Turk - Flounder Fish https://youtu.be/hnWr1BVtc0U