Liquor

camper49

I want to order a bottle...or two...for my husband to have in our cabin. He prefers Canadian but I don’t see that option. Crown Royal is an option but when I put it in my cart it says Crown Royal-Burbon Isn’t Crown a whiskey??

16 minutes ago, camper49 said:

I want to order a bottle...or two...for my husband to have in our cabin. He prefers Canadian but I don’t see that option. Crown Royal is an option but when I put it in my cart it says Crown Royal-Burbon Isn’t Crown a whiskey??

I think you are bumping into some laws about what really is whiskey. 

This is off of google:

For a whiskey to call itself bourbon, its mash, the mixture of grains from which the product is distilled, must contain at least 51% corn. ... Scotch is whisky made in Scotland, while bourbon is whiskey made in the U.S.A, generally Kentucky. Scotch is made mostly from malted barley, while bourbon is distilled from corn.

• Like 2

Bourbon is whiskey. Rye is whiskey. Irish is whiskey. Scotch is whisky (no "e"). They are all different types of whiskey. The song American Pie always bugged me with the line about "drinking whiskey and rye" since rye is whiskey.  Canada makes whiskey. Japan makes whiskey. Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey - which is pretty much just bourbon that is filtered differently at the end. There are blends and single malts. Whiskey is a very broad-reaching term. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Bourbon is whiskey. Rye is whiskey. Irish is whiskey. Scotch is whisky (no "e"). They are all different types of whiskey. The song American Pie always bugged me with the line about "drinking whiskey and rye" since rye is whiskey.  Canada makes whiskey. Japan makes whiskey. Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey - which is pretty much just bourbon that is filtered differently at the end. There are blends and single malts. Whiskey is a very broad-reaching term. 😁

Check out Makers Mark(Kentucky Straight Bourbon)as they spell it as WHISKY!

9 minutes ago, johnmik1 said:

Check out Makers Mark(Kentucky Straight Bourbon)as they spell it as WHISKY!

A good Bourbon - on the sweeter side. Quite tasty. Odd spelling for a Kentucky Bourbon but that's okay by me. We Americans mess with things. I doubt you will ever find a Scotch Whisky spelled with an "e" though. That would likely cause quite a donnybrook. The Scots take their Whisky seriously.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

They don't all taste the same, I prefer Scotch over Bourbon  - rarely drink Bourbon.

Wow. No kidding. They all have very distinct flavors and, of course, not all Bourbon is the same, not all Rye is the same, not all Scotch is the same (definitely not!I). Onboard I tend to drink Talisker. Definitely not for everyone. I like a good Rye but Princess... I also like Bourbon and Irish. A Vanilla Latte with an extra shot of Espresso and a shot of Jameson is a nice, balanced breakfast drink.

36 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Wow. No kidding. They all have very distinct flavors and, of course, not all Bourbon is the same, not all Rye is the same, not all Scotch is the same (definitely not!I). Onboard I tend to drink Talisker. Definitely not for everyone. I like a good Rye but Princess... I also like Bourbon and Irish. A Vanilla Latte with an extra shot of Espresso and a shot of Jameson is a nice, balanced breakfast drink.

Agree with the Talisker, very smokey. How do you feel about Dalwhinnie, my favorite.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Actually , the lyrics  for "American Pie" are: I drove my Chevy to the Levee (which was a bar in New Rochelle, NY - ) which was closed, (dry)  so they drove to Rye, NY - hence the words are actually drinking whiskey IN Rye.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MixerDave said:

Actually , the lyrics  for "American Pie" are: I drove my Chevy to the Levee (which was a bar in New Rochelle, NY - ) which was closed, (dry)  so they drove to Rye, NY - hence the words are actually drinking whiskey IN Rye.

That's a great story, but it's not true.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/04/07/wrn-american-pie-lyrics-auctioned-seg.cnn

128293290_ScreenShot2020-01-10at6_33_59AM.png.3675a2cec7efa02bae2de05b0bef9932.png

Edited by Outerdog

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

When Paul Simon met Mickey Mantle on “The Dick Cavett Show,” the Mick asked him why he didn’t use his name instead of DiMaggio’s. “Wrong amount of syllables,” Simon told the Yankee star.

25 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

A little off topic but my brother and I are going on the Royal in April, he is a scotch drinker, we have the package, can anyone tell me the current scotch list that's available?

Thank you!

Haven't sailed Royal so don't know if there is a venue with the expanded whiskey menu. I know on Emerald it was in Wheelhouse. If that is available then there is a greatly expanded whiskey menu which has a bunch of higher-end items that are well out of the range of the beverage package. For most folks this won't be an issue as pretty much anything that "regular" people drink is included in the package. Below is a clip from an older listing of the normal whiskey offerings. I was pleased to find that the expanded list allowed me to purchase Bulleit Rye which isn't normally available on Princess and was within the limit of the PBP.

image.png.a585792c1a8cb8665c061c0b14df9250.png

Here is a LINK to a pdf of the expanded Whiskey menu available in certain venues on some ships.

Edited by Thrak

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Haven't sailed Royal so don't know if there is a venue with the expanded whiskey menu. I know on Emerald it was in Wheelhouse. If that is available then there is a greatly expanded whiskey menu which has a bunch of higher-end items that are well out of the range of the beverage package. For most folks this won't be an issue as pretty much anything that "regular" people drink is included in the package. Below is a clip from an older listing of the normal whiskey offerings. I was pleased to find that the expanded list allowed me to purchase Bulleit Rye which isn't normally available on Princess and was within the limit of the PBP.

image.png.a585792c1a8cb8665c061c0b14df9250.png

Here is a LINK to a pdf of the expanded Whiskey menu available in certain venues on some ships.

Thrak…. When you were on Star Princess in E407 what type of obstruction was out  the window?

6 minutes ago, Raymok said:

Thrak…. When you were on Star Princess in E407 what type of obstruction was out  the window?

Answered in other thread. Put pic and useful link there. 😁

Edited by Thrak