Wonderful Copenhagen 2023

A question about Tivoli Gardens please.  How accessible is it to seniors who can't do a lot of walking?  Is there any form of transportation within the park, like little trains or trolleys?  We're not interested in midway rides, is there really any reason to go there at all?  It would be fun just to see it, and sit in a beer garden or have lunch, but I'm thinking it's beyond us because of the walking.  Opinions from those who have been there?  Is the Tivoli Food Hall inside or outside of the park? (Ah, I see you can visit it from the street, that's great.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

How accessible is it to seniors who can't do a lot of walking? 

Very accessible- the garden is quite small. There is a ‘tram’ you can take for a tour of the garden.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Is the Tivoli Food Hall inside or outside of the park?

It’s outside the garden. Entering the food hall from Bernstoffsgade.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Very accessible- the garden is quite small. There is a ‘tram’ you can take for a tour of the garden.

Thank you so much.  I also see that there's an aquarium.  We love aquariums, is it a nice one?  Are there discounts for ticket purchase in advance, or is it something you can just do at the gate?  Any discounts for seniors?

I'm also wondering if you're wanting to take the 'tram' around the gardens, and do the aquarium, is the best way to buy a ride pass, or can you pay for those things separately?

47 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

is the best way to buy a ride pass, or can you pay for those things separately?

A ride pass might be too expensive for the few activities - you can buy tickets for the tram and aquarium separately - you can also download the Tivoli app and purchase entrance tickets as well as tickets for the rides/aquarium in advance to avoid queues.

The aquarium is quite small.

• Thanks 1

We are booked at the Hotel Danmark by Brochner Hotels.  Is this a good choice for getting to attractions and transportation and is it in a safe area?  We were thinking of taking a cab to the port for a Royal Caribbean cruise in June.

6 hours ago, twocruisersok said:

Is this a good choice for getting to attractions and transportation and is it in a safe area?

Yes, safe area close to Town Hall, and Tivoli. Use Metro from ‘Rådhuspladsen’ (Town Hall Square) for sightseeing - Many sights in walking distance.

We have only 6 hours or so for our Copenhagen port call.  We would be interested in seeing the Rosenborg Castle, National Museum, Museum of Dutch Resistance, Nyhavn and or course have to get a photo of the Little Mermaid.  The excursions offered by the ship seem to involve mostly seeing sights through the window of a bus.  I recognize the distance between these sights is a too far for a walking tour but what option would you recommend?

1 hour ago, LindaJ+ said:

We have only 6 hours or so for our Copenhagen port call.

I’ll be happy to assist. To be able to guide I need to know which cruise terminal and weekday - which ship and date?  Do you want to visit Rosenborg Museum or just see the castle and the park?  I suppose you mean ‘Danish’ and not ‘Dutch’ Resistance museum?  You must also prioritize your museum visits - the National Museum alone takes 6 hours - you could also consider including a canal tour - it includes Nyhavn and The Little Mermaid.

Danish, yes! 🤪  Rotterdam arriving May 10.  Hoo boy, yes, sounded like too much when I typed it.  Hubby was interested in the canal tour ... I was thinking "By this time I've been on a boat for a day and a half ... don't wanna hop right on another boat!"

25 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

Rotterdam arriving May 10

You’ll be in Copenhagen May 12. Rotterdam will dock at Langelinie. Arrival 7 am and departure 5 pm - should give you at least 7 hours. Everything in walking distance.

It’s a 30 minutes walk from Langelinie to Nyhavn along the harbor front - on you way you’ll pass by The Little Mermaid and also ‘Frihedsmuseet’ (Museum of Resistance) as well as the Royal Palace. Guard change at noon. I strongly recommend a canal tour - very nice way to see the city.

Walking distance from Nyhavn to Rosenberg Castle is 15 minutes - here you might include the museum.

Also include  a short walk along Strøget to Amagertorv and Købmagergade.

Visit at the Museum of Danish Resistance is 2 to 3 hours and canal tour is 1 h.

Oh, wow, that sounds great!

Our itinerary on HAL website shows we are in Copenhagen on May 10, 7 am, with departure at 4 pm.  I'd much rather walk places than be stuck on a bus for 3 hours.  I guess if we get tired we can get a taxi back to the pier.

I have the Lonely Planet city map ... doesn't have the pier but shows a location for "Canal Tours Copenhagen".  Are these available on the spot or do you have to reserve ahead?

9 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

doesn't have the pier but shows a location for "Canal Tours Copenhagen".  Are these available on the spot or do you have to reserve ahead?

Two locations for Stromma - Nyhavn or ‘Gammel Strand’ also Netto Bådene (Netto Boats) from ‘Holmens Kirke’ - No ned  for reservation however might be queue.

you can find information about cruise ship pier and arrival at cmport.com

Rotterdam is arriving from Gothenburg May 12 at Langelinie - most cruise ships dock at Oceankaj but I strongly believe that information at port web is correct except if last minute changes

44EB6FDF-4EAB-4EA4-A98E-097124A24F18.jpeg

Im so excited - Unplanned but a great addition to our cruise, we will be blessed to be able to spend 5 days in Copenhagen before the cruise! 

We were able to book at the Andersen Boutique Hotel on Chase points - Good Location?

Due to being there this long, it will probably make sense to purchase the 120 Copenhagen Card.  

We would like to take the train to see the Viking Museum and spending a day up in the area?

Then also taking public transportation to Hillerod?

All sound good?

I will reread all the threads here to get canal tour info, Tivoli, the 15 free museums in Denmark, the attractions included with the card, and appreciate all that is already selflessly given in this forum topic. 

So thank you for all the contributions to all of us, always asking questions!

11 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

Andersen Boutique Hotel on Chase points - Good Location

Depend - in the “Red light District” - in general a safe area.

13 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

see the Viking Museum and spending a day up in the area?

Assume the Viking Museum in Roskilde? Here also is Roskilde Cathedral - but not a lot more - 30 minutes by train each way. You might also consider visiting Helsingør with Kronborg and the Maritime Museum.

15 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød is worth a visit.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

We would like to take the train to see the Viking Museum and spending a day up in the area?

I did both the Viking Museum in Roskilde and Frederiksborg Castle (on different days) using public transportation included with the Copenhagen card.

• Like 1

• Host Bonjour changed the title to Wonderful Copenhagen 2020-2022
On 4/8/2022 at 8:35 AM, hallasm said:

Two locations for Stromma - Nyhavn or ‘Gammel Strand’ also Netto Bådene (Netto Boats) from ‘Holmens Kirke’ - No ned  for reservation however might be queue.

The canal boat tour sounds good to me.  We will also be docked in Langeliniekaj on Friday 20th May.  If we get to a boat pier about midday, or soon after, would you expect there to be much of a queue - how long can we expect to wait?  Can I also ask if there are toilets on the boats, which I may need if we need to wait a while? Alternatively, can the tickets be pre purchased for a set time?

1 hour ago, tring said:

The canal boat tour sounds good to me.  We will also be docked in Langeliniekaj on Friday 20th May.  If we get to a boat pier about midday, or soon after, would you expect there to be much of a queue - how long can we expect to wait?  Can I also ask if there are toilets on the boats, which I may need if we need to wait a while? Alternatively, can the tickets be pre purchased for a set time?

Looking at the FAQ it doesn't look like there are washrooms onboard.

But they also seem to be only an hour long.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So many great suggestions. I will have to start over to absorb them all.

Current question:

Being fiscally conservative, I am looking at 3 different hotels for July. Pros and cons of each?

The Square

Hotel Danmark

Scandic Palace

We will be sailing from Langeline and will want to visit Trivoli, do the canal boat and one of the hop on - hop off tours.

A plus if we can take transit to the pier instead of a taxi.

Thanks,

BJ

23 minutes ago, garden girl said:

I am looking at 3 different hotels for July. Pros and cons of each?

I have not stayed at any of the three hotels, but all centrally located close to The Town Hall Square and  Tivoli Garden - Canal boats are in walking distance

26 minutes ago, garden girl said:

We will be sailing from Langeline

It’s very unlikely that your cruise will start from Langelinie - most cruises from Copenhagen will be from Oceankaj. 

We will be in Copenhagen for two nights before our cruise in July. The last time we were there was in 2003. We had one of the best dinners ever at a restaurant in Tivoli gardens. I can’t find my diary but seem to recall the name translated to Phoenix. Does this restaurant still exist?  Would you be able to tell me the correct name?  Do we need to make a reservation?  I’m sure things have changed in 19 years. 

4 hours ago, ldog said:

We had one of the best dinners ever at a restaurant in Tivoli gardens. I can’t find my diary but seem to recall the name translated to Phoenix

I can not think of a restaurant in Tivoli that relates to ‘Phoenix’ - One option could be ‘Grøften’ - my immediate recommendation is Nimb Brasserie.

You have to book a table - it is possible on Tivoli.dk - Here also a list of all the restaurants.

Avoid visiting Tivoli on Friday nights as there are often quite a few people for music on the 'Plænen’.