Jump to content

Wonderful Copenhagen 2020.


Recommended Posts

On 10/25/2020 at 10:20 AM, Fran2020 said:

Another vote for Groften, it is terrific! 


We tried very hard to have dinner at Groften a few years ago, but were thwarted by cigar and cigarette smoke.  Maybe that has changed now.  Here’s what I posted back then:

 

“We had no problem in getting a able as a walk up, but it turned out, to our great surprise, that there was a huge smoking section (in the otherwise lovely semi-outdoor area).   We didn't realize smoking was allowed there until we were seated and smelled all the smoke, including a guy smoking a cigar one table over, which is a total deal breaker for us.   We asked to be moved, and we were moved to a small no-smoking section.  That would have been fine, except that it overlooked the smoking area and the smoke was drifting up.  

 

If smoke in restaurants bothers you, I would look into this some more; perhaps there's a section in Groften where it will not be a problem.”

 

I hope things have changed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Try as I may, I just cannot get my arms around getting to and from the Copenhagen cruise terminal. 

 

We will be spending a few days in Copenhagen before our MSC cruise departing on July 10. We will be staying in an Airbnb property (Reverdilsgade 6) near the train station. 

 

My research indicated that C331, Nordhavn Occankaj, Terminal 1 is where the ship will dock. Subject to change, of course. 

 

I'm having real trouble figuring out how best to get from the hotel to the ship's departure point.

 

I should add, we don't mind walking. 

 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Try as I may, I just cannot get my arms around getting to and from the Copenhagen cruise terminal. 

Your Airbnb is just next to Copenhagen Central - you can either take S-train or regional train to Østerport Station and the bus from there to Oceankaj - or you can take Metro M4 to Orientkaj and then bus to Oceankaj - or walk from Orientkaj to Oceankaj - 2.7 km (1.7 miles) 

Just note that there is no bus service currently available - bus service 25 and 27 will resume to Oceankaj once cruise season is starting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, hallasm said:

Your Airbnb is just next to Copenhagen Central - you can either take S-train or regional train to Østerport Station and the bus from there to Oceankaj - or you can take Metro M4 to Orientkaj and then bus to Oceankaj - or walk from Orientkaj to Oceankaj - 2.7 km (1.7 miles) 

Just note that there is no bus service currently available - bus service 25 and 27 will resume to Oceankaj once cruise season is starting.

Wonderful!

Very happy to learn this.

We appreciate your time! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I need a little education on currency...

Are the Euro and the Danish Kroner acceptable forms of currency in Denmark?

 

We'll also be visiting the ports of:

Stockholm, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

St. Petersburg, Russia

Tallin, Estonia

Gdynia, Poland

Kiel, Germany

 

Do that all take the Euro, or will I need several forms of currency?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Kjjd4 said:

Do that all take the Euro, or will I need several forms of currency?

Stockholm, Sweden. Swedish Kronar

Helsinki, Finland - Euro

St. Petersburg, Russia. - Rubles - US$ or Euro can be used.

Tallin, Estonia - Euro

Gdynia, Poland - Zloty - might be possible with Euro

Kiel, Germany - Euro

 

For Denmark and Sweden I’ll suggest a Credit Card with pin/chip - or Apple Pay / Google Pay on you mobile phone - can be used in most shops and for any purchase - Sweden and Denmark are almost cashless. I have not used cash myself for the last three years.

You can use Euro in department stores and maybe restaurants but in general Euro is no generally accepted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

We will be in Copenhagen after a Regent cruise from Reykjavik in August 2022. We are looking at staying a few days after to see the city and maybe some of the countryside. I will be going back and checking the earlier posts in this threads to see if there is recommendations for hotels, restaurants and tours. But by posting here now I will be able to follow this thread in the future. Have a great next cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Woww this is great. I just found this thread. My cruise from Amsterdam was canceled so I rebook Baltic’s for almost same dates. I’ll be flying in from Amsterdam a day before cruise & then staying there for 3days post cruise. Time to start planning hotels, restaurants & sites. See ya in Sept 2021🤞🏼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Let's hope there's a wonderful new thread, or a continuation of this one, for 2022!  We've put off cruising until then, July 2022, in the hopes that travel will be fairly normalized by then.

 

First time in Copenhagen, and my husband's not so mobile any more.  He can walk, just not long distances, and climbing is a real problem. We don't need to see all the sights or the bright lights; we tend towards quirky anyways and enjoy just people-watching.  We do enjoy a nice pub or brewery,  live music of the modest, local variety, and some open-faced sandwiches sound perfect before the excesses of an 18-day cruise.  The canal trip sounds nice, but we will pass on Tivoli I suspect.

 

Best location for a hotel given our requirements?  Thinking of the Marriott, but someone suggested d'Angleterre--seems awfully expensive, but this will be our post-Covid extravanza so anything goes!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:15 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

d'Angleterre--seems awfully expensive

Hotel d’Angleterre is one of the most expensive hotels in Copenhagen.  Here is a small selection  (far from complete) of central located good hotels that you can take a closer look at:

Villa Copenhagen, Tietgensgade 35-39, 1704 København

Nimb, Bernstorffsgade 5, 1577 København

Radisson Collection Royal Hotel, Hammerichsgade 1, 1611 København

Skt Petri, Krystalgade 22, 1172 København

Copenhagen Marriott Hotel, Kalvebod Brygge 5, 1560 København

Copenhagen Admiral Hotel, Toldbodgade 24-28, 1253 København

71 Nyhavn Hotel, Nyhavn 71, 1051 København

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, hallasm said:

Hotel d’Angleterre is one of the most expensive hotels in Copenhagen.  Here is a small selection  (far from complete) of central located good hotels that you can take a closer look at:

Villa Copenhagen, Tietgensgade 35-39, 1704 København

Nimb, Bernstorffsgade 5, 1577 København

Radisson Collection Royal Hotel, Hammerichsgade 1, 1611 København

Skt Petri, Krystalgade 22, 1172 København

Copenhagen Marriott Hotel, Kalvebod Brygge 5, 1560 København

Copenhagen Admiral Hotel, Toldbodgade 24-28, 1253 København

71 Nyhavn Hotel, Nyhavn 71, 1051 København

Thank you.  I'll make a note of these and check them out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the look of several, including the 71 Nyhavn, for the view, and Skt Petri because it's close to a brew pub, and the university.  We prefer real neighbourhoods, easy access to a good brewpub would be great. Not interested in Tivoli.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I like the look of several, including the 71 Nyhavn, for the view, and Skt Petri because it's close to a brew pub, and the university.  We prefer real neighbourhoods, easy access to a good brewpub would be great. Not interested in Tivoli.

We spent 5 nights at Skt Petri fall of 2018; 1st time in Copenhagen, before our 1st TA. It is a lovely hotel. We really enjoyed the location, though admittedly we're more mobile than your husband so walked absolutely everywhere. It's a nice neighborhood in the midst of a sprawling university type area. Nice blend of tourists, students and locals with restaurants, shops and such. I loved that our room had a huge window seat overlooking the street below- perfect perch for people watching!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Is it feasible to take the train, with luggage from our hotel (as yet to be determined), to the airport?  We plan on purchasing the Copenhagen Card, since we're staying there 3 days, post cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CSloan said:

Is it feasible to take the train, with luggage from our hotel

Depending on location of hotel you can either take the train from Central Station (few other stations like Nørreport and Østerport) or if staying in the Nyhavn area the Metro M2 direct to the airport.
I do find it convenient to take the train when I’m going to the airport for cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 12:51 AM, hallasm said:

Depending on location of hotel you can either take the train from Central Station (few other stations like Nørreport and Østerport) or if staying in the Nyhavn area the Metro M2 direct to the airport.
I do find it convenient to take the train when I’m going to the airport for cruise.

Thanks!  Any issue on the train with luggage? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, CSloan said:

Any issue on the train with luggage? 

Never easy on train - but manageable. 
Trains are relatively easy to enter with luggage  -  usually the entry conditions match the platform height - I normally keep it at the floor next to my seat.

Edited by hallasm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say that it somewhat depends on how much luggage you have. I travel with a medium size suitcase (24"-26" size) and my carry-on is a backpack on my back (which I put on my lap when I sit). If you can't easily maneuver your own luggage I wouldn't suggest a train.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, CSloan said:

Is it feasible to take the train, with luggage from our hotel (as yet to be determined), to the airport?

I echo Gnome12's sentiments. One must be able to easily manage their own luggage. I almost always utilize local transportation and have used both the train & metro with luggage. I also carry only a medium sized case and a small backpack & I ensure that my case is not too heavy for me to lift off the ground (but not overhead 😳). IMHO, the train/metro is not a good option for those that are not relatively light packers. 

Edited by dogs4fun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I echo Gnome12's sentiments. One must be able to easily manage their own luggage. I almost always utilize local transportation and have used both the train & metro with luggage. I also carry only a medium sized case and a small backpack & I ensure that my case is not too heavy for me to lift off the ground (but not overhead 😳). IMHO, the train/metro is not a good option for those that are not relatively light packers. 

I'm cheap. I am the child of children of the depression, and I was taught that taking a taxi is frivolous. I try to always use local transportation, not because I can't afford the alternative, but if there are choices, I gravitate towards local transportation.

 

In 2010, I had a river cruise booked from Antwerp to Amsterdam. The trip was at the tail end of the Icelandic volcano. I was supposed to fly to Brussels, and be picked up by Uniworld for transfer to the ship. When I left Toronto (and I wasn't sure until the last minute that I would be able to) I knew that internal flights in Europe would not be flying. The only way I was able to get to the ship turned out to be train from Frankfurt airport to Cologne, then they put us on buses to Brussels, then train to Antwerp and taxi to the ship. I couldn't have done that if I couldn't deal with all my own luggage. Then at the end of the trip, we disembarked on Queen's Day (as it was at the time). People that had too much luggage left the ship the evening before, because we were told that taxis would not be able to get into the city the next day. I had booked a hotel that I could easily walk to from the ship, so I was able to enjoy the final evening on board.

 

Even when I travelled with my bicycle (before the airlines made the cost prohibitive) I was able to maneuver the bike (in a box or bag) in one hand, my rolling suitcase in the other, and a backpack on my back. This works much better when you have at least 3 people in your party if you have to make a connection, but I have done it on my own also. This one I couldn't do with local transportation, but the tour people picked us up at the airport and delivered us to the airport, so it was only dealing with the luggage at the airport that was an issue. (Except one year when we missed a connection in Paris, and got booked on a flight out of Orly instead of Charles de Gaulle so a group of 3 of us had to get our luggage to a bus to get us to Orly and then check in - only to discover that our discounted ticket wouldn't allow us to get on the flight they had booked for us and we had to wait hours for the later one, which was about the same time as the next flight out of Charles de Gaulle would have been!)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

I'm cheap. I am the child of children of the depression, and I was taught that taking a taxi is frivolous. I try to always use local transportation, not because I can't afford the alternative, but if there are choices, I gravitate towards local transportation.

Good for you, I've also been like that for decades but now we're at an age where it's usually not an option. But we still travel light and can certainly maneuver our luggage on and off a train.  Great story about the Icelandic volcanic event.

 

BTW, I'm itching to get back on the TTC (public transit here in Toronto).  I actually made one subway trip last month and intend to use it more now that our vaccination levels are getting so high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

BTW, I'm itching to get back on the TTC (public transit here in Toronto).  I actually made one subway trip last month and intend to use it more now that our vaccination levels are getting so high.

Are you? I have avoided it completely since the start of the pandemic. Right now I either drive where I need to go or cycle. I have a hospital appointment in a week and a half, and the TTC might be the most convenient way to go, but I'm still hesitating. (Having just turned 65 I got my Presto card adjusted for seniors rates, but I have yet to use it.

 

I will be travelling in September, and will probably take the UP Express (for non-locals the train from downtown Toronto to Pearson airport) rather than a limo. Coming home, depending on what time I arrive, I will decide whether to use transit or take a limo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...