Need some GOOD advice

Giantfan13

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise on NCL end of Oct from Rome. Then on returning to Rome, we are doing a TA on RCCL back to Miami.

Now, we were thinking of flying into Venice a few days early, spend a day or two there, take the train to Civi and board our first ship. 

So my questions, from Venice Airport, what's the best way to get into Venice and our hotel (which we haven't booked yet). I would assume taxi. We are two seniors and would have two large suitcases and probably a couple of carry ones. We don't do well, schlepping luggage up and down stairs and all around town. We are also not in the category of, what the heck, we'll pay whatever they want to get us from here to there, if you know what I mean. So about what would a taxi cost if that is our best option.

Second, getting to the train station from our yet to be announced hotel. If my understanding of this is correct, you can't take a taxi there? Is this correct? What would be the procedure for catching a train schlepping wise and cost wise? 

Third, when we get to Civi by train, what's the best way to get to the cruise port or hotel by the cruise port. I thought I read that via train you again have to haul luggage up or down staircases?? is this the case. Any other options?

Sounds complicated, but if it is too stressful or too expensive, maybe another time and we will go to Rome instead and then shuttle to Civi. We are looking to book our airfare, we just have to know where we are going to fly into. 

Thanks all

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I'd suggest staying in the Piazzale Roma area of Venice;  it's the last point of travel for cars, taxis and buses in Venice.  It's popular with cruisers since it has easy access to airport,  pier and sightseeing.  There are 3 or 4 hotels right on at PRoma so a cab can drop you at the door.  A cab will be about 40E and 20 minutes.  If you can walk a couple of blocks and over a small bridge there are several more hotel options.  

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.h

The Venice train station is on the opposite side of the Canal from PRoma which will be a problem with all your luggage and the big bridge to cross.  It would be easier to take a cab to the town of Mestre which is on the mainland, just across from Venice.  A 10 minute ride.  Your train to Rome would be stopping there anyway .  

The other option would be to stay in a hotel in Mestre.  It's cheaper than Venice. There are several hotels near the depot.  When you want to visit Venice, it's about 10 minutes away by bus or train and about 3E.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-hotels-train-station.htm

Another transportation option from the airport, is the ATVO airport express bus.  It's a non stop bus, about 20 minutes, for about 8E pp.  There's a bus to Mestre and another to Piazzale Roma in Venice.

Others have given good advice re: Venice.

In Civitavecchia it's true that at the train station, if your train arrives on the far tracks, you will have to go down a full flight of stairs, through a tunnel under the tracks, and then up a flight of stairs to reach the station and exit. Despite what some have posted, there is no good way to ensure that you will not have to do this "sottopasseggiato".  There is no elevator available except, supposedly, for those who have mobility limitations and have made prior arrangement.

And to add... from Civitavecchia train station you either take a taxi or the 2 Euro shuttle to Largo della Pace and there the free shuttle to your ship.

In Venice there is a pretty new bridge from Piazzale Roma over to the train station. But the bridge has steps, not very high but steps. The steps are pretty deep. So you can schlepp your luggage up one step, roll a short distance and then next step.

steamboats

Since you are on a budget, have a significant amount of luggage & are arriving via air, I would recommend staying in Mestre - the hotels there are much less expensive than in Venice. You can take the bus from Marco Polo to  the train station assuming your hotel is located near the station - very inexpensive option & there is plenty of luggage space which the driver stores for you (https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-airport-buses.htm). You can easily take the train from Mestre to/from Venice - it is fast and inexpensive. It is a lovely experience to actually stay in Venice but reaching hotels requires crossing bridges - not fun with luggage. You would not have to worry about bridges in Mestre. Although we prefer staying in Venice, we actually stayed in Mestre for 5 nights on one of our trips to Venice - we stayed there because we were traveling with young members of our extended family who were on a rather fixed budget & 5 nights in Venice was too costly. We stayed at the Hotel Villa Constanza - lovely hotel within easy walk of train station (there are hotels that are even less expensive and, bonus, are even closer to the train station).

As already mentioned, there is an issue with the Civi train station - schlepping luggage would be required unless you can use the elevator mentioned by cruisemom (about which I am totally clueless). Info here: https://www.sagetraveling.com/accessible-cruise-ports-rome-civitavecchia-italy

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-train-station

Copied from the link above:

CIVITAVECCHIA STATION: ASSISTANCE TO PERSONS WITH REDUCED MOBILITY

All passengers with a disability or reduced mobility can benefit from a free assistance service, available only on request, at the Station of Civitavecchia. This is a useful service, especially to go up and down the stairs that lead to some of the platforms.

The service can be booked (at least 1 hour before) by calling the following numbers (from Italy):

These numbers are active every day from 6.45 am to 9.30 pm (including holidays).

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you all so much for the excellent responses.

I want to make sure I got this correctly. If I were to stay in Venice, then it is a requirement that I would have to schlepp luggage to the train station?

If I were to stay in Mestre, it would be much easier to go from the hotel to the train?

Flying into Venice, I would require a taxi to get me to Mestre? (about 45 Euros) or a bus from the airport to the train station (Venice/Mestre)? How far would be have to go from say customs to where the bus is and do they have those carts to help with luggage?

And, if I do manage our luggage thru the Civi train station, then it is two buses to get to where we board? Do the drivers take your luggage on these buses or are you responsible for them?

Once again, thanks for all the great suggestions. I know I can always count on CC for help.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

37 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

I want to make sure I got this correctly. If I were to stay in Venice, then it is a requirement that I would have to schlepp luggage to the train station?

Whether u take a cab or ATVO Bus, you will be dropped at Piazzale Roma. To reach the Venice train station you would then walk about 2 blocks to the Grand Canal where you would cross a very large bridge then walk another block to the station.  Perhaps use google maps to get your bearings.

If I were to stay in Mestre, it would be much easier to go from the hotel to the train?

YES, there are hotels next to and around the Mestre train station.  ATVO express bus drops you by the station and cab will drop you wherever.

Flying into Venice, I would require a taxi to get me to Mestre? (about 45 Euros) or a bus from the airport to the train station (Venice/Mestre)? How far would be have to go from say customs to where the bus is and do they have those carts to help with luggage?

I travel light so I never notice carts.  The ATVO bus stop is across from the the main door, about 100 ft. 

And, if I do manage our luggage thru the Civi train station, then it is two buses to get to where we board? Do the drivers take your luggage on these buses or are you responsible for them?

This was our port stop so we had no luggage. But yes, 2 buses.  

Once again, thanks for all the great suggestions. I know I can always count on CC for help.

Cheers

Len

I would also suggest in a hotel at Piazzale Roma. No bridges to cross if you stay at one of the hotels on the square. It really does not feel like Venice if you stay in Mestre. We were in Venice in November traveling with a wheelchair, a service dog, two large suitcases and a carry on. We took the bus from the airport - very easy to do and airport staff will point you to where to buy the tickets. The bus stop is right outside the doors where you exit the airport. Land taxis are easy to find also. If you stay in Piazzale Roma you can catch a vaporetto to anywhere in Venice. The bridge from Piazzale Roma to the train station has shallow steps, but there are a lot of them. You can take the vaparetto one stop to the train station if you cannot manage the bridge. Another option would be to take a land taxi to the Maestre station.

4 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Thank you all so much for the excellent responses.

Cheers

Len

If you stay IN Venice (Piazzale Roma), then your path might be:

• Arrive at airport, walk to inexpensive express ATVO bus. Luggage is stowed beneath.
  • Ride bus to Piazzale Roma
  • Get luggage to your hotel in Piazzale Roma, such as one of those listed here:  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm .  (Some do not require crossing any bridges.)
  • Sightsee in Venice using your feet or the vaporetti to get around (if you plan to use the vaporetti, get one of the multi-day passes, they are cheaper than paying per ride).
  • When you are ready to get the train, you can either a) tow your luggage over the Calatrava bridge to the railroad station (Santa Lucia/Venezia) or take a taxi to the Mestre station.
  • NOTE: There is no direct route by train, so you will need to make at least one transfer to reach Civitavecchia, with all your luggage (no porters). If that transfer is at Rome Termini, you will walk the equivalent of 4-5 long city blocks to get to the tracks for the regional train to Civitavecchia.
  • Upon reaching Civitavecchia, you may have to manage your luggage as detailed in my earlier post.
  • To reach the port from the train station, do not count on a taxi. You will likely take a public bus to the main port gates and then a free shuttle bus to the ship. I'm not sure about the public bus but there is luggage storage on the port shuttle.

Should you choose to stay in Mestre, it will make transit slightly easier. You can take a taxi from the airport and it will not be very expensive (Mestre is not far). Each day you go into Venice you'll ride the train from Mestre into Venice proper. You will lose some of the charm of Venice unless you plan to stay well into the evening when most of the cruise passengers and day trippers leave and the city becomes more charming.  

And when you leave Mestre for Civi, it will also be easier as you can again take a short taxi ride to the train station in Mestre.  

I know you'll make up your own mind, but I wouldn't do this much schlepping for anything less than a 3-day stay in Venice. More would be better, of course....

Edited by cruisemom42

16 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Yes

Yes

Yes - there are carts and the bus stop is just outside the door from baggage claim (so, a very short walk) - the ATVO Fly bus would be the most economical option (8 euro) & it will drop you at the Mestre train station (journey time from Marco Polo to train station about 15 minutes). Info here: https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-airport-buses.htm

Consider, for the sake of comparison, just the following 2 options thru Booking.com (there are others but the price differential between Venice & Mestre will always be quite sizeable):

Hotel Santa Chiara (located in Piazzale Roma, Venice)  -  rate for one night, Oct 8-9 would be $297 per person plus $10 tax. If you stay 2 nights, you are looking at $614.

Best Western Tritone (located across the street from the Mestre train station) -   rate for one night, Oct 8-9 would be $143 plus $6 tax. If you stay 2 nights, you are looking at $298 (and I would definitely recommend staying at least 2 nights at a minimum).

Note: both the Best Western Tritone & Bologna in Mestre are much more spacious and modern than comparable hotels in Venice. IMHO, Venice hotels have more charm because they are located in Venice - Mestre hotels are generally of a nicer quality but without the charm.

After your stay, your onward journey to Civi is easily accomplished by simply walking across the street to the train station, purchasing your ticket & boarding the train.

We stayed in Venice late into each evening and then caught the train back to Mestre. The journey from Mestre train station to Venezia Santa Lucia (the train station) is only about 10 - 15 minutes. You must cross the Ponte della Libertà (Liberty Bridge) - the road bridge connecting Mestre and Venice.

Form Santa Lucia, you can walk or hop on the vaporetto (there is a vaporetto stop right in front of the train station on the Grand Canal). BTW, if you stay at the Best Western, ask for train tickets (to Venice) at the reception desk as they usually have a supply of them. If not, it is easy-peasy to get them at the train station (we used the machines).

Train info here: https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-to-venice-by-train.htm

I’ve included 2 maps to give you an idea of how close the Mestre hotels are to the train station & the route from Mestre train station to Venice. The top map also shows where the ATVO bus stops outside the train station.

Hope it helps.

698601624_MestreTrainStation.thumb.jpg.c90aa798f833541704513175871c2c50.jpg

Mestre_Venice.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

I'm a moron - after looking at the map I uploaded, the ATVO bus is not marked correctly on the map above (that is a city bus stop). The attached map is definitely correct - you can't miss the parking lot where the ATVO buses park - it is only a block from the Hotel Tritone, same side of the street as the train station.

MESTRE1.thumb.jpg.9b173181a5988265c04191daffe29378.jpg

ATVO lot by train station

ATVO_ACTV Mestre.jpg

A different point of view.   You are flying to Europe, taking a Med cruise and a Trans Atlantic cruise and thinking of spending 1 or 2 days in Venice.

It’s not worth the extra trouble for 1 day and maybe not for 2.

How many times are you going to get a chance to be in Venice?  It’s truly unique!

If you decide to go to Venice, go for 3 days minimum.  You need 1 day to recover from jet lag.  I would take a water taxi to my hotel . It’s well worth the incremental cost. Especially after a long overnight flight when you will be tired

I would not stay in Mestre.  You miss half the fun staying out in the hinterland.

Read Donna Leon or City of Falling Angels before you decide.

All told, figure on an extra $1000 to add Venice to your itinerary.

• Like 1