Who has used the silicone or metal straws Carnival now sells for the whole cruise

VentureMan_2000

It's been 3 or 4 weeks since Carnival introduced the silicone or metal straws for sale at the bars. 

Who has purchased them and used them for the duration of the cruise ?

Did you like or hate the silicone ?  Are they limp, or chewy, as some have described on the internet ?  Were the metal straws comfortable or unforgiving ?  And how was having metal in your mouth ?  All I can think of is the feeling when you chew on a ball of aluminum foil... 😂  The photo below looks like they have plastic tips ?

carnival-straw-2-576x768.jpg

carnival-straw-1.jpg

Edited by VentureMan_2000

Good, legitimate question! Thanks for asking it. I'd like to know myself. I saw the silicone straws in Kroger's the other day and said to myself, hmmmmm.... might have to try it out.The metal straws, from what I've read, have silicone tips...not plastic. Don't know that for a fact though.   

• Like 1

I’m sorry, but how does somebody not know what a silicone or plastic straw is like? Limp and chewey? You’re not supposed to chew on them.

EDIT: Oh you meant the SUGAR STRAWS.

Also, no, metal doesn’t taste like anything.

Edited by ChristianDamon

Put the kind of straws you want to use on your packing list. Go to the Dollar Store or other inexpensive place and buy a bag/box of them and put some in your suitcase. They are not going to take up much room or tip you over the airline weight. Stick one behind your ear whenever you leave your cabin on a cruise and you save a lot of angst before, during, and after your cruise. Problem solved. Other than putting them behind your ear, you deal with many cruise issues the exact same way.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise
  • Like 1

On a very popular e-commerce site they’ve got the same (or extremely similar) items in a 5 pack for $10 (or 11 depending on size) with Prime shipping. Reports are they are $4 on the ship but of course branded. We ordered a set because we have a group. They fold a collapse fine but still stand up just fine when using. There isn’t any taste to them like a garden hose or anything. 

• Like 1

Amazon has compostable &/or biodegradable straws for sale every day.  They aren't dirt cheap like plastic straws but they are sturdy, especially the corn based ones, and one lasts all day with one straw in our tumblers.  I take a zip lock of them on all vacations now.  If someone other than me throws it in the ocean, I think it will dissolve or the turtles can eat it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

what about all the plastic of their packaging? that case for silicone one has enough to make a box of straws, same with those metal ones. another way to make a buck using the fuzzy feelings of "saving the planet"

Thanks for answering one or more of the questions...

39 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Thanks for answering one or more of the questions...

to answer your question - they are all crap. they will start smelling, they are very difficult to clean, they will carry over strong smells. later it will have a bacterial/fungal biofilm on the inside surface that you will consume each time you use it unless you sterilize it, which is kinda hard to do at home, let alone ship. the later process will be more likely in silicone ones and less likely in metal ones, but those plastic mouth pieces are plastic. you can pack some scent free dish soap to help

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tunafish said:

to answer your question - they are all crap. they will start smelling, they are very difficult to clean, they will carry over strong smells. later it will have a bacterial/fungal biofilm on the inside surface that you will consume each time you use it unless you sterilize it, which is kinda hard to do at home, let alone ship. the later process will be more likely in silicone ones and less likely in metal ones, but those plastic mouth pieces are plastic. you can pack some scent free dish soap to help

We use Get It Right brand silicone straws at home.  I stand them in the utensil holder in my dishwasher. 

They always come out clean and not smelly at all.

That said, I would not bring them on a cruise because I'd hate to lose them.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSrCi2C0ND1ZW2ojm5D

1 hour ago, cruise_gal21 said:

Did some rule change on CCL? We haven’t cruised in 3 years and are going in October. I understand help save the planet movement, but are there no longer straws in the dining areas?

They got rid of all plastic straws. They have sugar straws for frozen drinks. And they sell

silicone and metal straws. 

12 hours ago, tunafish said:

what about all the plastic of their packaging? that case for silicone one has enough to make a box of straws, same with those metal ones. another way to make a buck using the fuzzy feelings of "saving the planet"

This!!!  my pet peeve - a local restaurant that doesn't have straws, but serves everything on styrofoam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

Put the kind of straws you want to use on your packing list. Go to the Dollar Store or other inexpensive place and buy a bag/box of them and put some in your suitcase. They are not going to take up much room or tip you over the airline weight. Stick one behind your ear whenever you leave your cabin on a cruise and you save a lot of angst before, during, and after your cruise. Problem solved. Other than putting them behind your ear, you deal with many cruise issues the exact same way.

We eat at a Korean restaurant that doesn't give out straws with your drinks.i keep a handful in my car.the wife grabs 2 before we go in.ill probably have a handful in my carry on .if we need them.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:56 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

It's been 3 or 4 weeks since Carnival introduced the silicone or metal straws for sale at the bars. 

Who has purchased them and used them for the duration of the cruise ?

Did you like or hate the silicone ?  Are they limp, or chewy, as some have described on the internet ?  Were the metal straws comfortable or unforgiving ?  And how was having metal in your mouth ?  All I can think of is the feeling when you chew on a ball of aluminum foil... 😂  The photo below (now above) looks like they have plastic tips ?

So we don't loose track of the original questions on this thread and get off track...  😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mytime2014 said:

This!!!  my pet peeve - a local restaurant that doesn't have straws, but serves everything on styrofoam.

Agreed! I just cannot eat off of, or drink anything made of styrofoam!  

I've been using stainless steel straws for a while.  I carry them with me in my purse - and bring them with me on cruises.  I've never noticed any kind of taste to them and they are easy to clean (they come with a cleaner).  I also have some silicone ones that I don't like as much because they're huge lint magnets and are always a little dirty on the outside.  I probably should have bought a higher-quality brand.  But anyway, I carry a small bag everywhere with me when I cruise because I always have a book with me, so it's no extra trouble to carry straws.  (And a travel mug.)

On my cruise last year, I brought my cheaper version of the well known insulated cup and a metal straw that I bought in a pack from the same retail store that sells my off brand (but works just as well) cup. My straws came with different color silicone covers over the metal and a cleaning stick (I think they were like $4 for a set of 4). Here is where I'll get back to your post. The silicone is there to "protect" your teeth from a metal straw accidentally chipping your tooth and for those who have metal sensitivity etc. However, I washed my straws well, but the silicone was not easy to take off, so I wouldn't do that every time I washed them. One day I noticed that mold was growing between the silicone and the metal...............I cut everyone of those silicone covers off my straws. It wasn't worth it the annoyance of taking them on/off all the time or the potential health risk. Soooooo, just and FYI. I plan on taking my cup and straw back on with again this time (I take the cleaning stick too) and maybe an extra. Honestly, it doesn't bother me to drink out a cup without a straw, I used to drink out of the water hose as a kid.......I think it will be okay.