Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
AndyMichelle

Don't get pregnant and don't die!!

Recommended Posts

Did anyone see Rip off Britain yesterday?

It highlighted a couple of issues that arise, especially with the fashion to book so far in advance. 

Although the program was not about P&O, the same rules seem to apply... 

Ladies cannot travel if they are over 24 weeks pregnant on the return date. 

2 passengers were refused travel at 26/27 weeks. One was refused at portside, they refunded her ticket, but not her husband and young son who didn't want to board without her.. 

Yes, they should have checked t&cs. 

 

Another poor chaps wife had died well before travelling. They had paid £1500 deposit, which the company refused to refund... They eventually agreed that if the ship sailed full, they would refund him, which they did but still charged a £200 admin fee. 

Buyer beware, as no compassion from the cruise lines... 

Andy 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy....on the second point....does your travel insurance not cover deposits although thinking about it we have an annual insurance which goes up to Dec2020 but a cruise booked for October 21....just took it for granted that the 21 cruise deposit would be covered because cruise was booked while covered .

If not fortunately we booked with a very low deposit so not such a " tragedy" but certainly makes you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have always been in the terms and conditions over the time we have cruised (more than 12 years).  Probably much the same with all holidays as well.  Travel insurance would definitely include death, but not so sure about pregnancy, but that can be planned these days.  With a son who 40 years ago was born at 30 weeks, (and was touch and go then), and knowing there were babies in the special care unit at the same time who were born earlier stage, I can see the sense of not allowing anyone in late pregnancy on a cruise ship.  I seem to remember seeing similar T&C's for flights - again sensible IMO.

 

I would not call either of these things rip off Britain, but if it makes people realise they need travel insurance and need to care for a baby even in the womb (which needs easy access to good medical care), then it could only be good publicity.  I suspect pretty much all posters here are in favour of travel insurance though and also realise that it is required as part of the T&C's when booking a cruise, but again all publicity can only be good publicity as there are always those who do not bother to tell their insurance company  about existing conditions etc.

 

The other point of course is to read the T&C's as well as travel insurance policies.  It seems a bit short sighted to turn up at a port at that stage of pregnancy, when they would have known about it when final balance was due, so would have lost no more than the deposit and may have been able to save that if booked on Freedom Fare and able to change the booking.  A shame people do not read the T&C's.

 

So overall perhaps worth mentioning Andy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Companies like to pretend that their terms and conditions are inviolable. They’re not. There’s clear legislation covering unfair terms and conditions, and most companies will negotiate a settlement rather than have their Ts and Cs tested by the courts. That’s what looks to have happened in Andy’s post re the £1500.

 

Moral: never accept what your cruise company tells you about lost deposits. If they’ve not actually suffered a loss on your booking there’s only a small amount that they can charge you - basically admin costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that programme and the guy paid his deposit 2 years in advance .He tried to get cover but was told it was too far away to insure.Perhaps if he booked a year in advance he might have been OK.A sad scenario.He got his 200 quid back after the programme intervened.Bad publicity for the cruiseline,letting it get that far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janny444 said:

Hi Andy....on the second point....does your travel insurance not cover deposits although thinking about it we have an annual insurance which goes up to Dec2020 but a cruise booked for October 21....just took it for granted that the 21 cruise deposit would be covered because cruise was booked while covered .

If not fortunately we booked with a very low deposit so not such a " tragedy" but certainly makes you think

We are in the same situation with our yearly policy ending in Jan 2021 and have 2 booked cruises after that, one of which I have to pay the balance in Nov 2020.

I raised this question when I renewed recently. I was told that I would be covered if I agreed to a 'rolling renewal' against a credit or debit card. If however you agree to this you are accepting the cost of your renewal unseen, which I did not agree to. For example this year they wanted to increase by £68 at renewal time but after querying this they agreed to a renewal increase of only £18 and that is the reason I did not agree to roll the policy over at renewal. Just a risk I will have to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if your trip is booked over a year in advance, you will be covered prior to the trip if you have insurance in place. 

If you think about it, how can it be otherwise for those of us with annual policies - as we approach the end of our annual policy, we would constantly  be having to roll over the policy to cover for trips booked after the renewal date if that were not the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have travel insurance through our bank.We booked a cruise for Jan 2021 when it was first released and as it was over the standard time cover of 31 days they said we could pay a small excess to cover the extra few days.However they said it wouldn t be covered until 18 months before sailing date.We noted this date on our calendar and phoned up to pay the small extra amount a few months ago.It is not an annual policy as it just continues as long as we meet the banks conditions and it may not apply to all insurance companies(or even to all banks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to quote from the small print of my insurance policy

"Cover for cancellation starts from the date you book your tripo orpay the insurance premium, whichever is later, unless you have bought an annual multi-trip policy, in which case cover for cancellation starts at the time you book your trip or the start date shown on your validation certificate, whichever is later"

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read the title to this topic, at 53 I hope that neither would apply to me but just to be on the safe side I'll keep my legs crossed and keep taking the tablets 😝😝😜🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Having read the title to this topic, at 53 I hope that neither would apply to me but just to be on the safe side I'll keep my legs crossed and keep taking the tablets 😝😝😜🤣🤣🤣

I will keep my legs crossed too 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tring said:

The other point of course is to read the T&C's as well as travel insurance policies.  It seems a bit short sighted to turn up at a port at that stage of pregnancy, when they would have known about it when final balance was due, so would have lost no more than the deposit and may have been able to save that if booked on Freedom Fare and able to change the booking.  A shame people do not read the T&C's.

 

So overall perhaps worth mentioning Andy.  

As regards to the 2 pregnant ladies, one claimed she checked with the cruise line and was told she could travel up to 27 weeks, but could not prove it. 

The other flew to the port, and assumed wrongly that because the airline said she could fly, that she would be able to cruise. 

The point of posting this was just to make people aware to read the T&C's and check your insurance cover. 

 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bee-ess said:

We are in the same situation with our yearly policy ending in Jan 2021 and have 2 booked cruises after that, one of which I have to pay the balance in Nov 2020.

I raised this question when I renewed recently. I was told that I would be covered if I agreed to a 'rolling renewal' against a credit or debit card. If however you agree to this you are accepting the cost of your renewal unseen, which I did not agree to. For example this year they wanted to increase by £68 at renewal time but after querying this they agreed to a renewal increase of only £18 and that is the reason I did not agree to roll the policy over at renewal. Just a risk I will have to take.

My understanding from our travel broker is that as long as you maintain an annual policy then future cruises outside the normal 12 month period are covered. Not certain what would happen if you changed provider at renewal, however I would hope that by continuing with an annual policy, albeit with someone else, would show your intent to maintain insurance,  and mean that future cruises would still be covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My understanding from our travel broker is that as long as you maintain an annual policy then future cruises outside the normal 12 month period are covered. Not certain what would happen if you changed provider at renewal, however I would hope that by continuing with an annual policy, albeit with someone else, would show your intent to maintain insurance,  and mean that future cruises would still be covered.

I think the closing statement on the program from Gloria Huniford was along the lines that the chap couldn't get insurance because it was so far in advance... 

I don't think they were experienced cruisers and booked it as a special treat, so may not have had yearly insurance. 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think the closing statement on the program from Gloria Huniford was along the lines that the chap couldn't get insurance because it was so far in advance... 

I don't think they were experienced cruisers and booked it as a special treat, so may not have had yearly insurance. 

Andy 

Agreed Andy, most people just book single trip insurance, but most people only book within 12 months of their holidays.  Its only people taking multiple holidays a year that tend to take out annual policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Agreed Andy, most people just book single trip insurance, but most people only book within 12 months of their holidays.  Its only people taking multiple holidays a year that tend to take out annual policies.

If you book a holiday over a year in advance, which is common for cruisers,  you will only  be paying a small deposit,  therefore insurance is  not  therefore important. The only time  that  insurance becomes an issue is when full payment is due.   

So, self insure your deposit, and then  make sure insurance is in place  before full payment is due.  

Like many of these consumer programmes,  the actuality does not match the reportage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deposit in question was not that small,it was £1500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brian1 said:

The deposit in question was not that small,it was £1500.

That's right Brian, I think the holiday was about £9,000, booked 2 years in advance. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... 

Andy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My understanding from our travel broker is that as long as you maintain an annual policy then future cruises outside the normal 12 month period are covered. Not certain what would happen if you changed provider at renewal, however I would hope that by continuing with an annual policy, albeit with someone else, would show your intent to maintain insurance,  and mean that future cruises would still be covered.

Mine will only cover future cruises beyond the renewal date if we agree to auto-renewal (without  knowing the price). Perhaps I'm with the wrong company

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Mine will only cover future cruises beyond the renewal date if we agree to auto-renewal (without  knowing the price). Perhaps I'm with the wrong company

I believe they are wrong, but regardless auto renewal can be cancelled if you don't agree the new premium.  They should always give you 2/3 weeks notice of the new premium, and since you know the renewal date you can have competitive quotes ready in order to challenge your provider to be competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe they are wrong, but regardless auto renewal can be cancelled if you don't agree the new premium.  They should always give you 2/3 weeks notice of the new premium, and since you know the renewal date you can have competitive quotes ready in order to challenge your provider to be competitive.

Very true, I I think I will do that as I have to pay the balance for an early 2021 cruise before the 2020 policy expires. thanks for the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Mine will only cover future cruises beyond the renewal date if we agree to auto-renewal (without  knowing the price). Perhaps I'm with the wrong company

You certainly are with the wrong company. It's an outrageous condition, and, imho, very unusual. Your policy should cover you for losses during the period you are covered, regardless of the date of travel. Find a new insurance provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You certainly are with the wrong company. It's an outrageous condition, and, imho, very unusual. Your policy should cover you for losses during the period you are covered, regardless of the date of travel. Find a new insurance provider.

Thanks, you are correct, I have phoned them and I was given incorrect information at renewal, I am covered for any losses during that period and I can claim if I need to cancel a 2021 holiday for illness etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...