Beach Recommendation Please

kstetser

We are the only ship in Port this July and are looking for a relaxed beach day.   Chairs/umbrellas to rent, rest rooms, water we can swim in (so not too rough or rocky).  Food/drink a bonus.  Want to avoid Towels and Herds.   4 adults and 3 teens.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, kstetser said:

We are the only ship in Port this July and are looking for a relaxed beach day.   Chairs/umbrellas to rent, rest rooms, water we can swim in (so not too rough or rocky).  Food/drink a bonus.  Want to avoid Towels and Herds.   4 adults and 3 teens.

Thanks!

I am a fervent advocate for Beach Limerz. I was there for the first time in 2018 and just fell in love with it. Only a 10 to 15 minute cab ride, Beach Limerz is an old school beach bar/restaurant with beach loungers, umbrellas, great food, awesome drinks and it is owned by two lovely people...Gail and Barry. The beach is uncrowded, the entrance into the water is gentle with VERY few rocks and no coral, and the waves are usually slight...I say usually, because an unexpected storm can change that within minutes..but that's the ocean! If you have not already seen our youtube videos, here is the link to our latest experience at Beach Limerz in Nov. 2019:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3hDO6YYgI

If you choose Beach Limerz, contact Gail at info@beachlimerz.com. She will arrange for a cab ($5pp) to meet you on the pier. Tell her Jim and Toni recommended  Beach Limerz. It will make her smile.

• Like 2

Beach Limerz pushed extensively by one poster on this board may turn out to be a facility that meet your expectations. (just make sure to check out their TA reviews and old feedback on this board by OTHER posters)

I was sold on them until I realized that most good reviews are by the SAME POSTER (did find both positive and negative reviews by others when dug into it both in past threads here and on TA). 

Since we ended up not selecting them, have neither positive or negative to report about them

From what is being reported by RECENT posters, sharp drop-offs seem to be an issue at many of the Antigua beaches this season.

If you find one that does not, please come back and post as it would help others planing for upcoming cruise.

PS: Look at the post from poster "Allentownahoy" about recent experience a Beach Limerz (posted very recently) at the end of the other similarly titled thread "Easy Access Getting Into Beach"

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, kstetser said:

Thanks!

If you wish a totally "T'erd free" experience with a Beach, then your list for considereration  is:

Jacqui O's

Cecilia's

Catherine's Café

Without a Beach then "Sheer Rocks" 

Book your Lunch/Day in advance for all.

The just an occasional Herd experience is to be found at Rum Bus (Probably with a vibe more suited to a teens or younger adults).  But Towles are now starting to discover it, being a new "Status" ego trip, considered to be more upmarket than their usual cheapo haunts, because a local public transport bus can be utilised.

Rum Bus is the less expensive option.

Again, book Rum Bus in advance for Cabanas and day.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo & Predictive
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 7:22 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

If you wish a totally "T'erd free" experience with a Beach, then your list for considereration  is:

Jacqui O's

Cecilia's

Catherine's Café

I would love to know which of the beaches associated with these restaurants has the least drop off this year.  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, aquidneck1 said:

I would love to know which of the beaches associated with these restaurants has the least drop off this year.  

Thanks!

We are looking for same recent info...some people do not swim and what looks great may not be easily swimable

1 hour ago, aquidneck1 said:

Thanks!

This is a difficult one to answer, as the Beach/Sea can change in days.  The only consistent smooth entry and exit known is the beach before the Bluff at Curtain Bluff.  But CB is AI and spaces not always available.

However, if you want a beach with the odds in your favour, then try Catherine's, but not guaranteed.

Any feedback on Galley Bay Resort and Spa beach for a day-beach while in port? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2705982-d150079-Reviews-Galley_Bay_Resort_Spa-Five_Islands_Village_Saint_John_Parish_Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbu.html

We're also looking for a beach to spend the day at while in port this March. 

Beachlimerz has around 20 chairs total which sounds like it'll get filled up quickly. We prefer a nice beach and one that's not blaring with loud music and drunk tourists.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

This is a difficult one to answer, as the Beach/Sea can change in days.  The only consistent smooth entry and exit known is the beach before the Bluff at Curtain Bluff.  But CB is AI and spaces not always available.

However, if you want a beach with the odds in your favour, then try Catherine's, but not guaranteed.

Do you know how long of a taxi ride/cost it would be to get to Catherine's?  

1 hour ago, Wrunkles said:

Do you know how long of a taxi ride/cost it would be to get to Catherine's?  

Private tax will be about US$40.00 with tip for 4 pax - Time about 30 minutes - Allow 40 minutes for your return.

Don't forget to book you day in advance with Catherine's as beds are limited.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, CA_Cruzing said:

Any feedback on Galley Bay Resort and Spa beach for a day-beach while in port? https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2705982-d150079-Reviews-Galley_Bay_Resort_Spa-Five_Islands_Village_Saint_John_Parish_Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbu.html

We're also looking for a beach to spend the day at while in port this March. 

We prefer a nice beach and one that's not blaring with loud music and drunk tourists.

Curtain Bluff - All Inclusive 

Jacqui O's

Cecilia's

Catherine's Café

Without a Beach then "Sheer Rocks" 

Book your Lunch/Day in advance for all.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, CA_Cruzing said:

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Moomduck1 said:

How do you book in advance? I'm not quite sure that I understand....am I booking a table for lunch or am I renting a loungechair? Would any of these beaches be good for young toddlers, ages 1 and 2?

Both.  Book on line or by telephone.

Beds at each establishment are for guests booking lunch/day as beds are limited.

For a beach visit.

CB is best for little ones, but spaces are only occasionally available, best to 'phone.

Next best is Catherine's.