Screaming children on Regent

tripperva

At the end of the day Regent markets it’s product as a Luxury Cruise Line, it does not offer an Adult only Cruise experience.  Each cruise will vary from passengers onboard mix, and has been well stated certain times of the year will impact this greatly.

We have never had the opportunity to cruise at the festive season due to work commitments, but would be well aware the numbers of children onboard would be increased. This also applies to the summer holiday season, and Regent does market certain voyages with the children’s clubs, club Mariner and also reduced fares.

They are not offering a child free cruise at anytime of the year . 
Whilst I agree that children should be supervised by parents/families and be as well behaved as possible you just can’t account for the onboard experience being always the same, and this also applies to adult passengers who can often be problematic shall we say?    Jean.

• Like 1

Fortunately our experiences with kids onboard have been positive and very few and far between. We don't have kids and try avoid times of the year when kids will be travelling.

On our second Regent cruise we had a cabin beside a family with 2 small children. Everytime we saw the mother she hoped her children were not disturbing us. We assured her everytime that we never heard a thing and that when we saw them they were well behaved.  The only noise we heard from their cabin was when the grandfather was what seemed to be coughing up a lung. Didn't last long and no big deal for us. 

One cruise we wanted to do was only offered in the summer and had a kids sail free promotion so we chose something else.  Not wanting to spend thousands of $ to be annoyed by potentially bored kids. I feel sorry for the kids, being in a place that offers little for them to do and relatively confined spaces.  When i see a kid acting out, i rarely blame the kid but look to the parents to manage their kids. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, 1982CruzStart said:

Fortunately our experiences with kids onboard have been positive and very few and far between. We don't have kids and try avoid times of the year when kids will be travelling.

On our second Regent cruise we had a cabin beside a family with 2 small children. Everytime we saw the mother she hoped her children were not disturbing us. We assured her everytime that we never heard a thing and that when we saw them they were well behaved.  The only noise we heard from their cabin was when the grandfather was what seemed to be coughing up a lung. Didn't last long and no big deal for us. 

One cruise we wanted to do was only offered in the summer and had a kids sail free promotion so we chose something else.  Not wanting to spend thousands of $ to be annoyed by potentially bored kids. I feel sorry for the kids, being in a place that offers little for them to do and relatively confined spaces.  When i see a kid acting out, i rarely blame the kid but look to the parents to manage their kids. 

Our second Regent cruise was scheduled for our Anniversary at the beginning of June. Unfortunately, the entire itinerary was changed from the Mediterranean (Barcelona to Venice, and I had never been to Europe before), to Greece and Turkey (which I had no interest in). We really wanted to do Barcelona to Venice, and didn't want to lose money by cancelling, so we had no other choice than to reschedule to  a cruise in July, with many kids, mostly as part of large family groups. It was not pleasant.

Our Singapore to Singapore cruise in early December had no kids onboard that stood out. On our Singapore to Sydney, there were very few kids, but 2 young girls that were part of a family group were always noisy. Toward the end of the cruise, a few screaming infants made their appearance in Compass Rose at dinner. If they were in Prime 7 or Chartreuse, I would have asked that they be removed, or we would have left.

We're looking at Viking Ocean cruises in the future since they only allow 18 and older.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:09 PM, drib said:
I'm going to make a couple of new points, and then I'm out of here like a big dog.

1. The fourth page, and beyond, of any thread is stupid.

2. If dungaree blue jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms, then I don't see how the Von Trapp kids are going to get away with wearing drapery.

Sorry drib, but your comment is more like a foo foo dog that a big dog. Many threads go on past the 3rd page and still have useful information. And we see jeans in the dining room without being thrown out, so the Von Trapp kids will be allowed to stay no matter what they're wearing, even if they don't sing for us in the Constellation Theater on the final night.

But shorts are not allowed to be worn by any adult on the last night of the cruise, even though it's always casual night, allowing us to pack all of our upscale clothes,  and put our suitcases outside of our cabins before we go to dinner. Jeans, however, are allowed in the dining rooms on the last night of the cruise.

And your points are?

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

According to 2 GM's that are personal off-ship friends, there is no dress code the last night...nor are shorts banned when eating dinner outside by the pool on any night. 

On our last cruise, on the last night,  people wearing shorts were turned away from the dining room.

There is a lack on consistency on board in general. The Life boats drills are all different based on Captain...have you ever noticed that? Anyway, in 500+ nights on board, about the only consistency is that the staff are truly happy about being there.

6 hours ago, Pcardad said:

The Life boats drills are all different based on Captain...have you ever noticed that?

No, they always follow a consistent pattern in our experience on Regent ships.

There has been a change across the fleet recently whereby guests are no longer required to take their lifejackets to the drill. The risks of tripping over trailing straps outweighed the benefits.

7 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

On our last cruise, on the last night,  people wearing shorts were turned away from the dining room.

We have never seen guests in shorts in Compass Rose ................ and why would anyone want to wear them to dinner, or think it was appropriate?

It's been my experience that sometimes you have jackets, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you go outside, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you have a second drill after a couple of weeks, sometimes you don't. 

I have seen shorts in CR. I have seen mesh dresses on females with nothing underneath. I have seen jeans and sneakers and t-shirts.

Why anyone would want to see a mesh dress on a Sr. Citizen is beyond me.

I am fine with shorts and prefer them but I respect the rules and only wear them to dinner on the pool deck. I have no need to start trouble with my fellow passengers.

After 34 Regent cruises, the bottom line seems to be that most Regent cruisers (and other luxury cruise line passengers) do not want to see children on board.  However, Regent gives discounts during the summer and possibly during the December holidays.  So, if you wish to avoid children and large families, avoid these times of the year.  NOTE:  I am posting specifically about children in the U.S./Canada since approximately 80% of Regent cruisers are from these areas.  

The comments about adults acting inappropriately has nothing whatsoever to do with children.  If an adult acts inappropriately (or is drunk - rarely seen on Regent), the crew can deal with them.  However, if children are running wild, climbing onto the seats in the Constellation Theater, rolling down the isles of said theater (we have seen these behaviors), Regent is concerned about confronting parents who think that their children can do nothing wrong.

Had to speak up and share our experiences (we have seen polite children but they are a rarity).  

Feel free to contact me at mitamejade@gmail.com

The behavior of passengers in general on Regent is not your typical slice of Americana. The vast majority of them are awesome...but some (of varying ages) are rude, entitled and a real handful for Regent and the other passengers. We don't often see kids on board and the ones we see are the senior staff's children coming to visit. The summer cruises to ALaska and the shorter cruises over the holidays and the winter months have the most. Regent can and will tell you , should you enquire), if they will have a staff member on board assigned to kids...the more of those they have the more kids they have booked.

16 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

After 34 Regent cruises, the bottom line seems to be that most Regent cruisers (and other luxury cruise line passengers) do not want to see children on board.  However, Regent gives discounts during the summer and possibly during the December holidays.  So, if you wish to avoid children and large families, avoid these times of the year.  NOTE:  I am posting specifically about children in the U.S./Canada since approximately 80% of Regent cruisers are from these areas.  

The comments about adults acting inappropriately has nothing whatsoever to do with children.  If an adult acts inappropriately (or is drunk - rarely seen on Regent), the crew can deal with them.  However, if children are running wild, climbing onto the seats in the Constellation Theater, rolling down the isles of said theater (we have seen these behaviors), Regent is concerned about confronting parents who think that their children can do nothing wrong.

Had to speak up and share our experiences (we have seen polite children but they are a rarity).  

Feel free to contact me at mitamejade@gmail.com

Couldn't agree more!!!!

TravelCat: "After 34 Regent cruises, the bottom line seems to be that most Regent cruisers (and other luxury cruise line passengers) do not want to see children on board.  However, Regent gives discounts during the summer and possibly during the December holidays.  So, if you wish to avoid children and large families, avoid these times of the year.  NOTE:  I am posting specifically about children in the U.S./Canada since approximately 80% of Regent cruisers are from these areas.   After 34 Regent cruises, the bottom line seems to be that most Regent cruisers (and other luxury cruise line passengers) do not want to see children on board.  However, Regent gives discounts during the summer and possibly during the December holidays.  So, if you wish to avoid children and large families, avoid these times of the year.  "

TC has warned us about this for years and she is correct that pax can skip Regent for about 4 months a year if you want to avoid children. But many of us are Regent fans and want to travel in the summer and perhaps over Christmas. Unfortunately, Regent becomes luxury cruise line  just about 8 months a year if you don't like screaming children. We (Platinum) will most likely continue to book with Regent year 'round and also with Silversea. The inconsiderate parents and their children would truly have more fun on other cruise lines.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, tripperva said:

A recent cruise on Explorer was marred by the many young children yelling and running around the ship. Several large families brought kids, from infants to teenagers, and they certainly effected the high quality normally expected on Regent. This may be unique to the holiday season cruises, but many guests were unhappy with the noise and disturbances. Imagine dining in the Compass Rose with screaming infants nearby. Or reading at the pool area with young kids constantly running past and jumping around. Regent organized supervised activities for the children on the upper decks and also turned the card room into a play camp which effected guests in the suites above on 12. Is Regent encouraging children on their cruises by offering free fares and organized events ? I hope not, because it diminishes the otherwise excellent Regent experience.

Must have been a holiday cruise.

I see this battle is still going on, and it probably will continue for years. I see the Virgin Group is promoting adults only cruises, with no kids, no brats, no babies. I can't wait to hear back from you guys on how quiet and polite life is like on those cruises without a single little kid.

Good luck on that one. 

16 hours ago, bissel said:

As this thread approaches the end of the fourth page, I am reminded of Drib’s First Law of Thread Length. From now on it will be repetitive. Perhaps energy can be spent on some new interesting topic. 

Exactly what inconsiderate parents are hoping for.

At the end of the day, every issue with poorly behaved children is an adult problem at its core. Could be on a $25K cruise or a $80 meal at a nice local restaurant. It's just that its worst when the adults at fault (parents) seem to be oblivious to it, or worse, don't care.

Anyhow, I don't think we're going to solve the problem of inconsiderate parenting in a cruise critic thread.

I believe Pcardad made it short and simple. When you have 500/800/3000 people on a ship or a plane, the odds of getting people who don't care about anyone else but themselves is rather large. 

this post had quite a few people upset that kids were being kids on a cruise with their parents and grandparents, and I must say there was a bit of exuberance and exaggeration in some of the tales. 

Most of the regent passengers were older, quiet, reserved, as was expected. On the other hand, there were ZERO passengers that /i would say would fit a Carnival Cruiseline frequent guest by any means. 

While we had a couple of little kids  with us on the cruise, we didn't get a free deal, and as a matter of fact we got no deal. I think its great Regent takes kids, and takes care of them to boot, as a  cruise is a wonderful way for various generations to travel together. 

While i will never convince the naysayers that the responsibility of booking a cruise belongs to each of us, there are also an awful lot of choices for all of us that complaining after the fact seems to be rather useless. 

I don't believe the cruise lines are shy about talking to parents if their kids are lighting fires etc, so to end my part of this thread i will repeat that  most kids travelling on the luxury lines are great, as their parents are usually overtly concerned about how their kids act in front of others. If you don't want kids on your cruise, don't book during the holidays, and if you wish to do so, book a line that takes no kids. 

Let's move onto something more important, like why Regent ran out of bananas halfway through the cruise while travelling through Guatemala , Honduras and Costa rica, go figure?