What’s up with horrible Epic reviews

bostonfred

We have sailed the Epic once before, so we know the ship itself is poorly designed. However, I just read about a dozen reviews and about 10 are one star. I know there are a lot of complainers out there and have seen other ships get slammed, but this is unsettling. We sail the 26 th of this month and are hoping we have a much better experience. We have about 30 cruises under our belt and at least 10 with NCL,. We have never had a one star experience, so hopefully this will continue. We will report when we return with a detailed review.

Has anyone had a recent good experience?😎😎

I don’t have recent experience of the Epic, but I would rely on the previous experience you have from 10 NCL cruises over what some stranger posts on the internet.

I don’t read the reviews, but I’ve seen posts similar to yours about other ships just before I’m due to sail on them. Not surprisingly, those bad reviews have always proved to have a lot less relevance to my enjoyment than my previous experience does.

Have been on the Epic in 2018 and 2019 and going on her again this April. Read all the reviews before first cruise on it and was a little concerned based on all the negative reviews. 
We had no complaints and did not experience any of the “horrible” things on the ship. As you can see we continue to still sail on it. You’ll enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

The amount of really bad reviews with no good ones lately is concerning but I think a lot of it has to do with the mess in San Juan right now.  There are a lot of people that can't recover from a bad start to the vacation and the rest of the way are looking at ways to be upset.  

We've not been on the Epic, and likely will never be on the Epic - simply for the cabin bathroom design.

I wonder if many of the reviewers didn't know of the cabin design before their cruise?

Even if they did know, perhaps they weren't thrilled with it, and it clouded the rest of their experience?

We love the Gem.  I cannot tell you how many bad reviews I have seen, and wonder if these people were actually on the same ship.   

Just go with an open mind, and plan to have a great time - and you will!!!!!

• Like 1

It’s mostly the port issues out of San Juan from what I am reading. 

Follow the info give to not show up until after 1pm and expect to wait in line outside if you do. I’m the this sailing with you. I’m so excited!!!!!!  Complainers petty stuff has no bearing on our sailing. 

• Like 2

Epic's got its good and bad points.  

A lot of people have issues with the room and bathroom design, and those are justified I think.  They're weird.  I wasn't into them, but some people are.  There are also some ship design issues, I get the complaints that it feels very closed off.  

On the other hand, the Spice H2O area is fantastic, the Thermal Suite is probably the best in the fleet, and the Epicurean show was one of the coolest performances I've ever seen, at sea or off.  I'm not a Haven guy, but I also understand the Haven setup is one of the best in the fleet as well.  

Pluses and minuses, all ships have them.  I'm on Encore leaving Sunday, and I'm sure I'll have things that I will and won't like, even on the new hotness.  I wouldn't worry, the Epic's a fine boat and I'm sure you'll have a good time.  

I actually liked the weird cabin layout, but did not care for the ship, mainly because I like a promenade and the Epic did not have that. I felt too closed in, not enough ocean views for me. While I don't prefer it, I might sail on the Epic again if I'm looking for a specific itinerary.  I did enjoy the Spice H2O area, spent a lot of time there! While it's not my cup of tea, many others enjoy Epic, and I would never tell someone not to sail on her just because of my preferences. I always take reviews with a grain of salt, and you can easily weed out the petty ones, lol!

I'm on the Epic this coming March (1-8)

At first I found some of the reviews a little disconcerting.  Then I decided to look at the reviews for the last NCL cruise I went on on the Getaway.  We had a FANTASTIC time.  Was it perfect? No.  But my takeaway was nothing but great memories.

The reviews would have you believe otherwise though.  Tepid food....rude staff....pillows not fluffy enough...you get my drift.

There were a few comments that I may have agreed with e.g. DH and I had this vibe from the Ocean Blue staff that we should feel honoured to be dining at their establishment....we just found it kinda funny though.  

Maybe too many people are expecting the red carpet and expecting staff to make their vacation great for them.  

For me, I've already decided that this cruise is going to be EPIC......see what I did there?

I've also read on other threads that people have had amazing vacations on the Epic; and recently as well!  

Despite delays at the port, bathroom setup, lack of waterfront...like the above posters here, they just decided it wasn't going to ruin their vacation.  I get the feeling you have the same philosophy if you've never had a one star experience.  Have an amazing time and do report back!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, itf said:

The reviews for the Breakaway are giving me similar concerns, but we've been on the Jade and the Getaway and enjoyed them - how bad can it be?

Breakaway is identical to getaway.  Yes there are a few decor differences, but thats about it.  Each vacation is what you make of it!

We spent 11 nights on the Epic and I would gladly sail her again. 

Is the restroom thing odd?  Yup.  did it impact my enjoyment level of vacation?  not at all. 

I will say the overall storage we had in an Epic Balcony room was heads and shoulders above any other cruise ship cabin. I can agree with the lack of water access in public areas (fixed on Escape and newer ships) is a bit of a downer, but enjoyed most everything else on Epic. 

• Like 1

You need to take them with a grain of salt. Last year their were a bunch of very negative reviews. Over 50% of them were complaints about the bed or bathroom set up. The people had No Idea the Epic cabins are not like your normal cabins. You need to be a fool to not actually get a little info about the ship before you book and cruise

PR just had another big quake, I'm sure the complaints will start rolling in again

Edited by Laszlo

keep in mind, complainers are always louder than satisfied people.  The vast majority of cruisers who are happy with their trip, will just keep steppin' forward, never look back, and not bother with reviewing their trip for others consumption.   Unhappy cruisers, who feel they didn't get quite what they paid for will always find a way to try to get others to commiserate with them, and tell them. They will be the ones who are the squeaky wheels....looking to get the grease. 

• Like 2

Sailed her for the third time December 15-22.  I love the Epic.  The entertainment was fantastic, even better than the last time (October 2018), and it was great then! Priscilla, Burn the floor and  Howl at the Moon......Loved them all. The other entertainment throughout the ship was also very good. 
The food was great as usual. No complaints.  We did find breakfast service a little slow in Aqua though.  Otherwise service was good.  

The main differences on this cruise was the late leave time from San Juan, but we were well informed, so not too big of a deal.   Also, the main passenger count was from Puerto Rico and we found that the late night venues catered to them.  

Btw, on return to PR, taxes are charged on drinks when the ship enters Puerto Rican waters. Just be advised.  We were charged from 7pm on

Enjoy.  Your cruise is what you make it

13 hours ago, DinaS said:

We've not been on the Epic, and likely will never be on the Epic - simply for the cabin bathroom design.

I wonder if many of the reviewers didn't know of the cabin design before their cruise?

Even if they did know, perhaps they weren't thrilled with it, and it clouded the rest of their experience?

We love the Gem.  I cannot tell you how many bad reviews I have seen, and wonder if these people were actually on the same ship.   

Just go with an open mind, and plan to have a great time - and you will!!!!!

I’m in agreement with you. The bathroom design is something I couldn’t tolerate unless I was sailing alone and needed no privacy (rare!) There’s only a few NCL ships I haven’t been on and that’s one of them, and my hope is that it ends up being the one ship I never go on. Don’t understand why they didn’t sell it. Epic is an Epic FAIL!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, itf said:

The reviews for the Breakaway are giving me similar concerns, but we've been on the Jade and the Getaway and enjoyed them - how bad can it be?

I’m sailing on Breakaway for the second time tomorrow. If it were “bad” I wouldn’t sail on it again. Not my absolute favorite but it’s a great ship!

We just got off the EPIC a few weeks ago. It was a great time. Embarkation couldn’t have been easier, just be ready for some traffic. Food was great and entertainment was also good. Very similar to our previous NCL cruises so that’s where you should base your expectations. I will say it was crowded at time but service was never poor. Also, book reservations as soon as you can online and you will never have a problem. 

• Like 1