Maybe First Solo Cruise Question?

HappyValley3

Since my husband doesn't like cruising and my small circle of friends can't go this time, I'm thinking about going alone.   I know I will be just fine while on the ship, but my biggest concern is being alone and safe in ports.    Need some experiences to help me decide.

I have been traveling alone for 10 years and will be coming up on my 2nd cruise alone. I love the freedom of doing what I want, when I want, where I want, how I want and eat what I want. It's amazing way to gain your strength and perspectives. When people ask me about my safety I always say "remember that while you are a tourist on vacation the criminals/opportunists are not". Being alone in ports is the same as traveling anywhere, make sure you are cautious.

If you are concerned, depending on the ports, an excursion through the ship is great. What ports are you thinking of?

I really think it depends on what port you alight at. In my experience if you alight at, lets say Las Palmas de Gran Canaria or any of the other Canary Islands, just walk off the ship and do your own thing, you wont have any problems. However if you alight at certain ports in Brazil, like Recife or Salvador de Bahia I would always air on the side of caution, and leave the ship on ship excursions or with other people in a group, safety in numbers and all that. Again it all depends on the ports, do a bit of research (there is plenty on here if you look around) on the ports you want to visit and take some sensible precautions when leaving the ship.

I've been sailing solo since 2003 and take the ship's excursions in ports I'm not familiar with or that have a bad rep.  Jamaica comes to mind.  Stay in the busy tourist areas and don't venture too far out by yourself.

I have also been cruising solo since 2003 and agree with the other gals...if you feel uncomfortable, check the

cruise line tours and see if you find some that look appealing. It really does depend on the port whether I go

on my on or a tour.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not cruised yet but will share my thought processes as I chose my first cruise, and also to cruise solo.  I was looking at many itineraries that included Nassau but was worried about the safety of that port alone.  So, I decided to table that idea for now and probably consider it as a cruise with my family later.  I chose Alaska b/c it was on my bucket list but also b/c I felt like I'd be safe in those ports.  

On 1/10/2020 at 8:19 AM, HappyValley3 said:

Since my husband doesn't like cruising and my small circle of friends can't go this time, I'm thinking about going alone.   I know I will be just fine while on the ship, but my biggest concern is being alone and safe in ports.    Need some experiences to help me decide.

Happy Valley,  For over 30 years I've been going solo:  NYC and WA DC standard tourist stuff plus London and Paris same.  Chile, Turkey and MX a bit more adventuresome.  Would I go there now, probably not, but politically times were different.  SF to MX is my first cruise.  The ports:  Long Beach, LA, San Diego and Ensenada.  Several folks are looking forward to shopping at Walmart in MX!  Not me.

The trick is to know what you are doing, where you are going.  If you don't, fake it.  Several books have been published on women traveling alone.  You may wish to read up, do YouTube research.  Go and have a swell time.  Quincy 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with QMG about knowing what you are doing in each port. Just do a little research, maybe look at Tripadvisor, and ask around on your Roll Call once you're officially booked on the cruise. You'll feel confident when you have a plan.

I've done 2 solo cruises, and never did a ship sponsored excursion at any of the ports:  Nassau, Grand Turk, Freeport, etc.

Beach days all to myself were wonderful!! I've never felt unsafe. Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, HappyValley3 said:

Just a quick update to my original question.   I have a friend who wants to cruise to Bermuda out of NYC, so I'm doing that.  Just wanted to say thank you again for all the encouragement to cruise solo.

Have a great cruise.  

• 1 month later...

I've been going solo since my kids became adults, now in their 30's.  I enjoy having a clean cabin, no shoes or makeup all over. Some ports I've been to many times and feel

comfortable on excursions I've done before like the Cozumel Bar Hop. Staff know me and take good care of me.