Lunch in Venice

Raptordash

We will be on Crystal Serenity Venice to Rome cruise, boarding on July 19, 2020.  The cruise overnights in Venice and we are looking for recommendations for a nice place to enjoy lunch on July 20th prior to ship's departure.  Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Marc

My favorite “lunch” in Venice includes visiting several baccaros for small glasses of local wine and a variety of chicceti (Venetian tapas). Stay away from the tourist zones, meander a few streets off the beaten path to enjoy the authentic experience.

She is my favorite city in the world.

• Like 3

No question if you wander the main areas of St Marco or Rialto it will be tourist 101 trap, sometimes those can be fun, or research and find something on the backstreets, we actually liked the some of the tourist trap stuff too. 

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

we actually liked the some of the tourist trap stuff too. 

Its super touristy but Harry's Bar in Venice is pretty lovely. I agree you should get off the beaten path but if you are going to do something touristy this one is much better than most. 

This takes some time, which you may or may not have, but one of the best experiences I've had regarding lunch in Venice is taking the vaporetto (or vaporetti, I think you have to change lines) to Torcello, one of the islands in the lagoon. It is a beautiful, peaceful place with only a few ruined remains of its former glory (it was Venice's predecessor city in the lagoon). But it also boasts a few really nice restaurants and FWIW they are more enjoyable for lunch than for dinner since you can enjoy the surroundings. Hotel Cipriani has a restaurant there at Locanda Cipriani which is outstanding (and also a motor launch to take you there and back, I understand, though I haven't used it). 

But if Cipriani's prices aren't to your taste, another lovely place with seating in their garden in back is Osteria al Ponte di Diavolo.  (Ponte di Diavolo is Italian for "devil's bridge" which is the name of one of the old bridges over the canal, a favorite photo op. The restaurant is nearby.)

• Like 1

We have had good luck at the restaurant at the Messorbo stop on the way to Burano.   There are also some local nice restaurants on the north side of Venice in the  Cannaregio area or far eastern area of Castillo.  Just get away from the tourist areas.  

Edited by bennybear