Whale Watching

Finzo4

We've done several whale watch tours In Juneau - sightings ranged from 'very good' to spectacular.    We also had a spectacular tour out of Victoria specifically looking for Orcas.   Keep in mind that no tour can guarantee sightings, but they'll try their best; some do offer a partial refund if no whales are found.    

Finzo4:  The two Alaska ports known for whale watching tours are Juneau and Icy Strait Point (Hoonah).  If you go to the Alaska Cruise Critic forum at the top of the page will be trip reports (organized by year).  If you peruse the reports you will find whale watching vendors mentioned.  Also look at the thread titled something such as "Helpful resources for planning your 2019 trip."  That thread contains a multitude of websites for communities; a number contain the names and web addresses of whale watching vendors.

• Thanks 1

Juneau is very good but I would not go on one of the big boats. We did a self-booked excursion with Harv and Marv and it was just 5 or 6 of us in a small, very maneuverable boat. You'll be elbow to elbow on a big boat.

In Icy Strait Point they can often be seen right from the ship or from the shore.

We have been there when they were right behind or beside the ship.

But it is not something you can count on always happening.

We did a small boat tour with Gastineau Guiding in Juneau.  Just 12 or us on a RIB designed for whale watching. It was great. The onc catch, you have to book it thought Celebrity. You can look it up on their web site for a full description but in the end they refer you back to Celebrity for booking.

We did a whale watch in Juneau. There was a pod of humpbacks doing bubble net feeding. Quite a sight. It was a small group ship tour  (15-20 people) on Holland America. If you can book something like that on Celebrity it is worth it.  Haven't been to Icy Point.

I have been on two cruises to Alaska and just love going on whale watch tours. On cruise with Princess and one with Oceania. Both cruises I did a whale watch out of Juneau. The tour itself was in Auke Bay, saw humpbacks both times. The second time there also saw a pod of Orcas, 3 generations in the pod.

The other port was out of Icy Strait Point, many humpbacks and breaching as well. Hope this helps.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, Finzo4 said:

What is the BEST place to Whale Watch in Alaska???  I see it listed in almost every excursion . Im going in May of 21 but looking ahead now.   This is a must do for me !!!

Thanks in advance.

I think Juneau is the most secure "you will see whales" place to have a boat tour. There is a resident pod of humpbacks in Auke Bay. Most if not all of the tours here will give you $100 back if you do not see a whale... They do not give away their Benjamin Franklin notes, ever!

The closest I personally have ever seen a whale surface was right next to the boat on an otter-sighting tour in Sitka, but I have read here on CC that some tours in Sitka see zero whales.

I am reading on this board, that Icy Strait Point is "the best" WW -- but have decided to book small boat excursions in Juneau and Sitka for my 5-person family group.

You do not give your ports, but if you are going to Seward, the tours of Kenai Fjords have great sighting of marine mammals. 

Wherever you choose, going early in the season is the right thing -- the whales are so happy to be back in food-rich northern waters after giving birth in Hawaii you will see lots of surface behaviors. 

If it were THE THING I wanted to see, I would book more than one place (as I am doing for next June). Or Juneau at least.