Queen Mary 2 Sydney to New York, March 6 to April 25, 2020

rafinmd

I work at the Phoenix Airport and our international arrival passengers Making Connections do have to get their bags and Customs but before they leave Customs there's an American Airlines reach check counter and as long as the bag is tagged to go to their final us destination for example Baltimore all they do is hand the bags to American Airlines in America puts it on to the American Airlines flight I don't know what they do in Los Angeles in the situation that having arrived in Los Angeles once from London it was a terrifying experience and they do nothing for you in Los Angeles

6 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

unfortunately this is not true, the bags will be checked only through to the first US stop.  You then have to retrieve it and recheck it in for the domestic flight. We came through LAX on our way to Boston and we collected our luggage after using the passport kiosk and talking with the customs agent.  We then  rechecked them to Boston.

That's what I thought.  Unless there are trolleys at the luggage claim, getting everything through the customs desk will be a hassle.  With business class to Baltimore I have rearranged things somewhat and the larger backpack will be checked.  Unfortuately, that will mean stowing the straps and carrying it as a bag but I'll have to live with that.  The rest of the time having only one modest sized carryon will make things easier.

Roy

Roy Qantas is a codeshare partner with American Airlines and vice versa so each of those two Airlines can transfer baggage from the other when you check your bags in at Sydney question Qantas about this they should be able to label your baggage tag straight through to Baltimore on the American Airlines flight and there should be American Airlines Representatives at Customs or right outside Customs to take the bags from you at least that's how it works here in Phoenix

Roy,

Pleased that you now have your flights. 

Did you book a hotel at Sydney airport?

At least with business class you will have the lie flat seat, so hopefully you will get some decent sleep during the long flight.

It was good to meet with you again.

Travel safely.

In the business class lounge, flight should be on time.  I think one of the hassles airlines are dealing with is a LOT of no-shows.  People may be getting home as fast as possible and not canceling existing reservations.

Roy

• Like 1

Roy, by now you are hopefully safely home from your long journey.  If you got in about 2 like you thought you are probably getting some well deserved rest.  Let us know that you are safe and secure at home when you get rested up again.  Glad you made it back to the US ok.

Roy, I am glad you made it home.  Condolences on not being able to complete your world cruise(s) for the second time.

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to post your daily logs.  They are the highlight of my day.

Charles

12 hours ago, Frank5 said:

How well do you think Cunard did handling this situation?

Given that the whole world is going about this on a trial and error basis, I think Cunard is one of the better players among all agencies, government, medical, cruise, and other in responding to the situation.  I think cancelling the Asia ports early in the cruise showed a lot of foresight although it had the unintended consequence of leading everyone to hope that the cruise could continue with minimal changes right up to the end.  The only thing that would have produced a better outcome would have been cancelling the cruise a few days before Fremantle so there would have been more time to arrange a more orderly return home, although that wasn't in the cards.  I think even with Cunard's late start the end was handled with just about as much dignity and order as any other cruise lines efforts.  An A+ for efforts and probably a B for final execution.  I haven't seen any other cruise line I would rate above a B on either effort or execution.

Roy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, erewhon said:

Roy,

So pleased to know that you are safely home.

Did you manage to get some sleep during the long flight?

Thanks.  Not sure but I think I did get 2 or 3 hours, but a lot of the time I was almost completely shut down seriously resting.

Roy

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Given that the whole world is going about this on a trial and error basis, I think Cunard is one of the better players among all agencies, government, medical, cruise, and other in responding to the situation.  I think cancelling the Asia ports early in the cruise showed a lot of foresight although it had the unintended consequence of leading everyone to hope that the cruise could continue with minimal changes right up to the end.  The only thing that would have produced a better outcome would have been cancelling the cruise a few days before Fremantle so there would have been more time to arrange a more orderly return home, although that wasn't in the cards.  I think even with Cunard's late start the end was handled with just about as much dignity and order as any other cruise lines efforts.  An A+ for efforts and probably a B for final execution.  I haven't seen any other cruise line I would rate above a B on either effort or execution.

Roy

Hi Roy, 

I was on the QM2 from NYC and couldn't agree with you more.  I was so impressed with the staff.  I don't know how those folks in the pursers office held it together. There was a constant long line of ticked off people but they were great.

To see some of the ship's company, including the Captain, lined up as we were leaving to say good bye broke my heart.  They are the ones really suffering in this, not us.

Certainly the final disembarkation could have been handled better but we'll never know what factors played into that.  The terminal building and customs folks weren't theirs to control.  The buses to the airport (provided free of charge) went in some cases half full of people because the luggage storage was full.  

We left our 3 biggest cases on the ship to be sent along later.  We only took what we could handle comfortably on our own (2 checked bags plus carry ons).  It was painful to see Cunard folks along the journey struggling with mulitiple large bags, but that was their choice.  

My family did some shopping for us before we got home so that was good. Although we feel fine we will still lay low for the 14 days (we've been home since Tuesday).

BTW I went down to the medical center and they gave me anti-anxiety medication for the trip home.  Never used it...small victory for me.

• Like 1