Cruise Critic Community
mpclaw

Internet is not 6 Star-Upgrade Way Overdue

Certainly something must be wrong with the internet this year at the Serenity. We were on the full world cruise last year and independently the location of the ship, we had good, reliable internet.

Ivi

On Symphony May/June from Tokyo to SF it was good some of the time but gone for a couple of days several times. It was fine in the middle of nowhere in the north area of Bearing sea but disappeared in ports. 
it is sad that we have reached the stage where we can’t live without Internet. 

On 1/12/2020 at 8:38 AM, PaulMCO said:

Crystal really needs to dump MTN/EMC as their IT and internet provider.  If you check the lines that have issues -- Oceania, Regent and Crystal you will find that common thread.  Low capacity high orbit satellites plus old technology.  

Those that love RCL/Celebrity/Azamara internet speeds also have a common thread O3B's medium earth orbit satellite system (with lower latency of 150ms) and higher capacity. O3B recently received approval to add additional satellites to have global coverage.  Time for Crystal to start planning.

My guess is the new satellites will be in orbit before a new Crystal ship (other than the Endeavor) enters the fleet.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:42 AM, Keith1010 said:

Thankfully I could get into my Blog and that one is tough because speed is needed to load everything up.

There is defiantly a problem that has nothing to do with weather, sailing near military bases, location, etc.  However, yes many times those are the cause and it is very real and not an excuse as is going between satellites.  

As I said the internet was terrific last year on Serenity and the year before on  Symphony.  That is not to say there were not any hiccups but 95%+ of the time the speed and reliability were terrific.  It was faster than we had experienced on any other line and much better than the previous few years on Crystal.  

But on this voyage the speed has been way below where it had been and where it needs to be.  As I mentioned I will ask about it today.

On a positive note, we have been able to use Cell phone service and text using the ships  WiFi and that has not been impacted.  

Keith

We were on Serenity for 19 days in November and found the same as you, whereas when we were on Symphony in July, the service was excellent.

Believe it or not, the service on my Oceania Serina cruise this past week was better than that on Serenity. (However that's about the only thing that was better and we were limited to one device per room!)

12 hours ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

There must be something wrong with this thread as there are posts being removed for no apparent reason?

As Captain Renault said to Rick...."I'm shocked!"

I received an update about the internet.  The service will be inconsistent  until the 20th or just shortly after that date.

Keith

On 1/14/2020 at 4:27 AM, Keith1010 said:

I received an update about the internet.  The service will be inconsistent  until the 20th or just shortly after that date.

Keith

Why is that?

6 hours ago, AtA said:

Why is that?

Some changes are being made around that time  frame which hopefully will address the recent problems

Keith

Actually 

23 hours ago, AtA said:

Why is that?

I'm going to amend my earlier post.   

I don't believe there is a date right now nor an apparent fix.   

Hopefully  it will get resolved sooner rather than later but right now it is very inconsistent and average at best and slow as a molasses other times.

Last year and the year before were perfect other than a few minor hiccups and time of day is not a factor at the present time.

Keith

This is so unfortunate for those onboard Serenity. We’re on the Symphony now and the internet service is as fast and reliable as we have at home!

If both ships are using the same satellite service, it’s apparently a hardware problem on Serenity, since service onboard Symphony in the middle of the Pacific has, so far, been flawless.

Rob

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

This is so unfortunate for those onboard Serenity. We’re on the Symphony now and the internet service is as fast and reliable as we have at home!

If both ships are using the same satellite service, it’s apparently a hardware problem on Serenity, since service onboard Symphony in the middle of the Pacific has, so far, been flawless.

Rob

Rob,  I am not sure the issue but I made sure to communicate based on your post from the other day that Symphony speed  has  been great.

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I'm going to amend my earlier post.   

I don't believe there is a date right now nor an apparent fix

Sounds like you initially got the standard IT team response “we’re working on it and hope to have it fixed next week” - always works a treat with users - until you can’t deliver 

If they really can’t work out what’s wrong then they need to get people with more skills onto it and give it more priority - providing a reliable internet service on ship in this day and age should not be an issue and as we’re hearing from Symphony it’s not a system wide issue for Crystal 

The next leg out of LA has 6 or so sea days so hopefully they fix it before then 

6 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sounds like you initially got the standard IT team response “we’re working on it and hope to have it fixed next week” - always works a treat with users - until you can’t deliver 

If they really can’t work out what’s wrong then they need to get people with more skills onto it and give it more priority - providing a reliable internet service on ship in this day and age should not be an issue and as we’re hearing from Symphony it’s not a system wide issue for Crystal 

The next leg out of LA has 6 or so sea days so hopefully they fix it before then 

Actually it was not the standard IT stuff but that is irrelevant now. 

I just want to see  it fixed and perform like last year and how it performed the year prior to that on both ships and even our River Cruise

Keith

Internet service has been direly inadequate. Many days we have not been able to connect at all...or stay on long enough to  pay a bill if lucky enough to have connected. It was  somewhat mind boggling that we didn't have internet access even when in port. IT is aware they have a problem and have been giving that standard answer of working on it, hopeful,etc.  You are unable to load comcast to your device... "too big" ....while on all other Crystal cruises I have been able to do so...never was dissatisfied previously but certainly not happy now.

Edited by PaulaJK
alignment

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

Internet service has been direly inadequate. Many days we have not been able to connect at all...or stay on long enough to  pay a bill if lucky enough to have connected. It was  somewhat mind boggling that we didn't have internet access even when in port. IT is aware they have a problem and have been giving that standard answer of working on it, hopeful,etc.  You are unable to load comcast to your device... "too big" ....while on all other Crystal cruises I have been able to do so...never was dissatisfied previously but certainly not happy now.

This does not sound good. One of the reasons we are able to cruise for long periods of time is because we know we can always be accesible vía internet. We can not afford to disconnect from so many obligations at home and elsewhere. I hope Crystal will fix this issue.

I thought the IT department said it was going to be better by the 20th? Obviously that is not the case?! We board in Papeete and we're crossing fingers we will have better internet connection by then!

This is a real concern given work obligations which are required of me on our upcoming cruise, especially given that our international mobile data plan doesn’t work in French Polynesia, Tonga & Cook Islands.

Can anyone say whether emails and WhatsApp messaging are at least performing adequately. i.e. are emails and WhatsApp messages sent and received realtime or are there lengthy delays?

I know on some previous cruises (Norway, South Africa etc.) in certain areas, for short periods of time, email wasn’t performing as expected with many messages getting hung up in the outbox, however being able to connect to 4G was a great help when in range, however this is not an option for the first 9 days of this cruise. I am sure it will all work out in the end, one way or another.

22 minutes ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

This is a real concern given work obligations which are required of me on our upcoming cruise, especially given that our international mobile data plan doesn’t work in French Polynesia, Tonga & Cook Islands.

Can anyone say whether emails and WhatsApp messaging are at least performing adequately. i.e. are emails and WhatsApp messages sent and received realtime or are there lengthy delays?

I know on some previous cruises (Norway, South Africa etc.) in certain areas, for short periods of time, email wasn’t performing as expected with many messages getting hung up in the outbox, however being able to connect to 4G was a great help when in range, however this is not an option for the first 9 days of this cruise. I am sure it will all work out in the end, one way or another.

While not quite as good as it was when we were on last year, it has been much better the last two days (including today), although I hope my saying that doesn't "jinx" it!! E-mails (gmail) have worked fine and I have been able to access our online banking website and complete transactions. It does still "freeze" at random moments, and logs us out without warning the odd time, so it is by no means "cured" of whatever is ailing it. Hopefully they will bring in their tech support people from the office while we are in  LA tomorrow and finally fix things.

Having said that, I still wonder if volume of users might be a contributing factor. My anecdotal observation is that there appear to be far more people carrying phones/tablets this year than there were last year when we were onboard.

Edited by Roland4

A  couple of things.

I had posted that initially  I understood a fix by the 20th but I posted again to say that was not the case.

Larry is  correct.  The past two days have been better.  We did go through a couple of very bad days prior to that when the internet was continually up  and down and clearly unstable. Often we were knocked off the internet and it was very (and I mean very) slow.

While it is  still  not where it needs to be nor  where it  was last year the past couple of days  I could read mail, post on Cruise Critic and Face Book.   While again not as fast  as I would like I have been able to  post  photos on CC and FB and video.

However, things can load slowly and getting into my blog to do the actual writeup, post photos, etc. is  taking a long time as I often have to try accessing it five to ten times over 15 to 30 minutes before everything loads and I can get access to it.  It's  been like this  for the  majority of  the  cruise.  If I wasn't doing a  blog  and only posting live on CC, and on FB it would  be less of an issue.

Anne Marie and I also did Face Time with our son this morning and the video call was fine.   Calls have been fine. Texting has been fine.

Hopefully, this will  get  resolved as I am just looking for it to be as it was last year and the  prior  year.

Keith

17 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Having said that, I still wonder if volume of users might be a contributing factor. My anecdotal observation is that there appear to be far more people carrying phones/tablets this year than there were last year when we were onboard.

This definitely could be a factor. I think they should not allow 4 devices per cabin. Even if you are just logged in on 4 devices, and not using them, they still consume bandwidth. I believe providing one device per person at any given time is a reasonable compromise. It means two people can still use at any given time, but if a third device is logged in, you will be prompted to log out. A minor inconvenience, but could improve the service significantly.