Cruise Critic Community
mpclaw

Internet is not 6 Star-Upgrade Way Overdue

Two devices  can  be logged on simultaneously per guest.  Has nothing to do with type of accommodation.  

I do  not think the number of users is the key issue here.  As someone who gets up  very early in the AM when very few users are  on the system there have  been those days  where the  internet was  very slow, or  went up and down.

Last year we were on board with even more guests  on some of  the  sailings than  we have right now and the difference in  performance  was "Crystal Clear".   

Keith

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Even if you are just logged in on 4 devices, and not using them, they still consume bandwidth. I believe providing one device per person at any given time is a reasonable compromise

What bandwidth do they consume, other than a low load heartbeat? As long as they’re not downloading then they won’t be utilising a lot of bandwidth 

I would not want to see a 1 device per person introduced. This is a luxury line and they need to make it work - it’s not a technical impossibility and I’m not into compromise on things like this 

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

What bandwidth do they consume, other than a low load heartbeat? As long as they’re not downloading then they won’t be utilising a lot of bandwidth 

I would not want to see a 1 device per person introduced. This is a luxury line and they need to make it work - it’s not a technical impossibility and I’m not into compromise on things like this 

Absolutely correct!  

We’re on Symphony in the middle of the Pacific. As reported earlier, internet service onboard here has been flawless. And virtually every guest is carrying around at least one electronic device. Some piece (or pieces) of hardware appears to be affecting service on Serenity. I hope that it is reconciled sooner than later for all onboard.

Rob

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

You would be surprised how much bandwidth smartphones can consume with apps running in background. And if someone is running a heavy software on the laptop, it will still consume a lot of bandwidth even when not in use.

Honestly, I cannot see why would anyone even need to use 4 devices at the same time. To me, it's much less compromise than paying for extra visits to specialty restaurants or need to adjust for dinning venues open for lunch only for an hour and a half.. 

Again,  the internet worked beautifully on Serenity for  all those months we were on board.

Users had two devices each.

I really don't think demand is any different.

There is some issue that  needs to be corrected.

Yes, from time to time other factors  can come into play such  as where the ship is sailing, weather and one time blips.

Also the device one uses does  make  a difference.

But..........All  of this is  not why we've  had poor performance.  What it is I don't know.  But I just hope they can  get it resolved and get back to the performance we enjoyed.

Keith

This is what I’m seeing on Speedtest at the moment on Serenity - it’s faster than I get at home on ADSL (embarrassing isn’t it) - if this holds up I think I’ll be ok 

The Pings not great but that’s Satellite Internet for you 

With that upload speed I can see that uploading photos and certainly videos is going to be a slow process 

874ED7F2-9527-4688-9FF4-7A55FDBEB7ED.thumb.jpeg.4405318a66d063f86eb6ef5ee0134e67.jpeg

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Honestly, I cannot see why would anyone even need to use 4 devices at the same time

I don’t need 4 but I definitely need 2 - my iPhone and my iPad - I’m happy with 2 working devices 

22 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t need 4 but I definitely need 2 - my iPhone and my iPad - I’m happy with 2 working devices 

Me too, but not at the same time. 2 devices shared between 2 people is more than enough. And I'm using my laptop to run my business. But when I'm on my laptop and my wife on the tablet, I'm perfectly fine not to use the phone at the same time.

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Me too, but not at the same time. 2 devices shared between 2 people is more than enough. And I'm using my laptop to run my business. But when I'm on my laptop and my wife on the tablet, I'm perfectly fine not to use the phone at the same time.

I need 2 x 2 devices - so 4 in total between the two of us - having said that we would only use 1 device each at any time - but I don’t want to have to log in and out of that second device 

6 hours ago, ryndam said:

We’re on Symphony in the middle of the Pacific. As reported earlier, internet service onboard here has been flawless. And virtually every guest is carrying around at least one electronic device. Some piece (or pieces) of hardware appears to be affecting service on Serenity. I hope that it is reconciled sooner than later for all onboard.

Not sure what ship YOU are on.

Stopped working evening leaving Maui.  Dead through the morning of Kauai.  Frequently drops out, and requires another login.

Not a wifi issue.  Sat link.

27 minutes ago, AveSaloon said:

Not sure what ship YOU are on.

Stopped working evening leaving Maui.  Dead through the morning of Kauai.  Frequently drops out, and requires another login.

Not a wifi issue.  Sat link.

I’m on the same ship as you. We’ve had NO issues at all. Must be a fluke during the limited times you experienced an intermittent outrage. Sorry your experience appears to differ from ours. 

Rob

Phew, at least for now.  I was worried about poor Internet on the Serenity but systems seem reliable and functional enough for practical purposes as we leave LA,   Perhaps things won't be so good when we are truly in the middle of the ocean, but if we are on satellite, that shouldn't matter that much.

For those boarding the internet over the  last  two days has  been more consistent than it was before you boarded.  It's been more stable with better speeds than the ones written about earlier although speed isn't where it was last year.  So let's  hope  this continues and that in  time speed improves as well.

Keith

Everyone's circumstances are different but I'd hate to have to tell my spouse to log off because I need to download a book to my iPad while doing something on my iPhone - 2 per person is great - even if you aren't using you don't have to logout and then log back on.

At  this very moment (the past hour) the  speeds I am  experiencing are very much like last year.  😀

Whether or not this continues time will tell.  😊

Keith

Not sure I can agree on performance being ok - download is acceptable but upload performance is glacial (I’m not expecting cable or 4G though) 

I guess it’s relative - if it was worse on the last leg then I am glad I wasn’t on it 

Hopefully they can tweak it to improve that 

024533B5-502A-427D-8A1E-0288EDAB3D48.thumb.jpeg.5c5b90e4c77fbf7f65db19534cf565c2.jpeg

Now things have slowed up. Still better than most of the last leg but quite  a bit slower than that one  hour time when I posted earlier.

Keith

18 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I need 2 x 2 devices - so 4 in total between the two of us - having said that we would only use 1 device each at any time - but I don’t want to have to log in and out of that second device 

We also use 2x2 as at times I use my iPhone (work) and iPad (play) simultaneously. Seems a bit ridiculous, but I suppose it’s multitasking.

29 minutes ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

We also use 2x2 as at times I use my iPhone (work) and iPad (play) simultaneously

Actually having two devices logged in is useful in the current environment - sometimes I will have 1 devoted to loading pictures and the other for browsing  and reading the news etc (gulp am I a bandwidth hog?)

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Actually having two devices logged in is useful in the current environment - sometimes I will have 1 devoted to loading pictures and the other for browsing  and reading the news etc (gulp am I a bandwidth hog?)

Well, would you prefer to have 4 devices and slow internet or 2 devices and fast internet? And if they need to invest more money to make the internet with 4 devices per cabin to work, I prefer they reduce it to 2 devices and invest the money somewhere else. And if both you and your wife are using the internet and you need the third device, one of working devices will be logged out. Not a big deal.

The argument that it was working fine 1-2 years ago is not necessarily valid. More people are using internet those days, more devices, and apps become more and more heavy and consume more bandwidth. 

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The argument that it was working fine 1-2 years ago is not necessarily valid. More people are using internet those days, more devices, and apps become more and more heavy and consume more bandwidth.

It wasn't 1-2 years ago it was working fine - it was 1-2 months ago.

It's not  the two devices and very  few people are actually using them simultaneously.

If the  number of devices  was the issue they can easily force devices off if idle for  say  15 minutes.  They used to do that.

Again  it worked fine last year and has been inconsistent for  at least six+ weeks and nothing has changed in terms of number of guests and number  of devices.  So  to  me  it's got to be  something else.

Keith