Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

That’s disappointing!  Seriously thinking about cancelling my cruise now.  As much as I enjoy my vacation time, too many sea days can get a bit boring.  I just checked the weather in St Kitts and was a bit windy, but I doubt that alone would be enough to cancel today. I’m sure they were just trying to make sure they made it back to FLL in time for the next cruise.  

Edited by ccndfw

Hypothetical:  I am booked on a TA in March.  IF IF IF this problem is not resolved by then, do you think we might miss our first port, the Azores, and go directly to our second one?  Just trying to think ahead.  LOL

Judy from SW Florida

40 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

Hypothetical:  I am booked on a TA in March.  IF IF IF this problem is not resolved by then, do you think we might miss our first port, the Azores, and go directly to our second one?  Just trying to think ahead.  LOL

Judy from SW Florida

Very possible the itinerary would be changed. You may not miss the first port. If the speed is reduced to 18 knots it would take approximately an extra day to arrive. The ship may have to stop to refuel, and then skip or shorten different ports later on. Hope this will be repaired by March 26th.

16 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

You have to realize that Princess cruises go out continuously; there's no "turn-around" time. So there's no time to fix the Crown unless it goes in for dry dock and repairs. Until then EVERY cruise will be effected. 

That's what I'm hoping for. 😄

Of course with my luck it'll soon be fixed. 

i'd be looking for a 50% future cruise credit !!

glass half-full … always 

NO OBC - that's re-dick-u-lousy

16 minutes ago, Jodilee33 said:

I’m on the crown in the Caribbean now, they have cancelled 3 stops out of our 6! Told us it’s due to weather!!! No onboard credit received except port fees which are only a few dollars. Uproar on the ship from passengers.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

i'd be looking for a 50% future cruise credit !!

glass half-full … always 

NO OBC - that's re-dick-u-lousy

Yeah really disappointing.

We got $75 OBC for Princess cays, but nothing for the others. 10 day cruise, 7 days at sea... $75 does not cut it. 

35 minutes ago, Jodilee33 said:

I’m on the crown in the Caribbean now, they have cancelled 3 stops out of our 6! Told us it’s due to weather!!! No onboard credit received except port fees which are only a few dollars. Uproar on the ship from passengers.

I'm on this cruise on the 26th. I am hoping Princess is telling the truth that it is due to weather.  I did read online that certain islands were canceling ferry services between islands due to dangerous waters.

We are on the Crown now.  Most disappointing cruise we have ever been on.  Missed 3 ports.  7 sea days instead!  They are blaming wind for missing Antigua and St. Kitts but im not convinced its not also due to not being fully powered that the ship cant perform in less than ideal conditions. We have sailed Caribbean many many times and have never had half our ports canceled. Its always windy.  Overall this has been beyond disappointing.  

• Like 1

It would help if they were more forthcoming.  Perhaps they don't trust the docking manoeuvers with the combination of certain speed wind and missing one generator??? 

Seems odd this time of year to have to miss an island entirely.  Taken as a whole I would be expecting much more significant compensation, but I suppose they can avoid it if due to weather, just like the airlines.

28 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

It would help if they were more forthcoming.  Perhaps they don't trust the docking manoeuvers with the combination of certain speed wind and missing one generator??? 

Seems odd this time of year to have to miss an island entirely.  Taken as a whole I would be expecting much more significant compensation, but I suppose they can avoid it if due to weather, just like the airlines.

I have seen a couple of other posts - the weather (wind) could be it.  Hard to know if generator had anything to play in it.  Tough luck perhaps.  Don't expect that to happen this time of year.

Princess only legal obligation is to return passengers and the ship to Ft Lauderdale.  Any credit is a goodwill gesture.

The Crown is currently making 18 knots in heavy seas. Wind gusting to 50 knots (cat 8 gale).  Seas about 14 feet, rolling and pitching are making ship activities hazardous to impossible.

I’m trying not to worry too much about missed ports, or a reduced time in port for our first cruise with Princess in July. We chose this cruise because the holiday dates will include both a birthday and a significant wedding anniversary , plus a celebration for youngest son’s end of exams. We’re also looking forward to all the posts in Norway and Denmark. 
The balance payment is due in seven weeks, I’m a bit jittery about paying especially when the issue might not be rectified until the dry dock. 

On Crown Princess since 12/27 (10+10 back-to-back).  Notified early after departure about generator failure during prior cruise. I have tried unsuccessfully a couple off times to get the exact date of the failure. I am upset because I was not offered the chance to cancel this cruise prior to departure. At the worst I would have gotten full credit because I have Princess Platinum Protection. I booked through Costco and will check if they received any notice.

My wife’s luggage was shattered between dropping it off with the porters and delivery to our cabin.  Can’t file a claim since I’m unable to prove if porters or room steward broke it.

Skipped Grenada ($100 credit) on the first 10 days. Port stops were crazy unorganized. Grand Turk was late arrival and 2 hour tour was all we could do before getting back on the ship. Dominica was an absolute dump of a port and island.

Skipped Princess Cay ($75 credit), Antigua (wind) and St Kitts (wind) on second 10 days.  Had water turned off on our floor today in the morning for maintenance (would have been okay except it turned into a sea day due to St Kitts abort). Three Princess tours cancelled and refunded.

WIFE JUST REPORTED THAT CEILING IN THE HORIZON COURT FELL DOWN!

Am I justified in asking for a substantial future cruise credit?

4 minutes ago, SailMinnesota said:

On Crown Princess since 12/27 (10+10 back-to-back).  Notified early after departure about generator failure during prior cruise. I have tried unsuccessfully a couple off times to get the exact date of the failure. I am upset because I was not offered the chance to cancel this cruise prior to departure. At the worst I would have gotten full credit because I have Princess Platinum Protection. I booked through Costco and will check if they received any notice.

My wife’s luggage was shattered between dropping it off with the porters and delivery to our cabin.  Can’t file a claim since I’m unable to prove if porters or room steward broke it.

Skipped Grenada ($100 credit) on the first 10 days. Port stops were crazy unorganized. Grand Turk was late arrival and 2 hour tour was all we could do before getting back on the ship. Dominica was an absolute dump of a port and island.

Skipped Princess Cay ($75 credit), Antigua (wind) and St Kitts (wind) on second 10 days.  Had water turned off on our floor today in the morning for maintenance (would have been okay except it turned into a sea day due to St Kitts abort). Three Princess tours cancelled and refunded.

SInce there are no guarantees, I think you're lucky to get as much cabin credit at they give you. 

9 minutes ago, SailMinnesota said:

Unless it fell on her, no.

It looks like the seas are pretty rough. Did any other ships dock at the ports that were cancelled?

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2020 at 8:45 AM, fishin' musician said:

FWIW, on the last cruise it was 2:30 when we finally reached Grand Turk (everything stated 1:00 arrival).  With 3400+ clamoring to get off at the same time it was a severe cluster.  I don't understand how, with modern navigation systems, they can miss by 1.5 hours??? 

I believe we reached about 1pm, but in some reason they did not allow us to disembark right away and lines were huge afterwards.

12 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Unless it fell on her, no.

It looks like the seas are pretty rough. Did any other ships dock at the ports that were cancelled?

We never attempted any of the missed ports. Just sailed right by.

I realize there are no guarantees but isn’t Princess obligated to notify me ASAP prior to departure so I can exercise my Princess Platinum Protection contractual right to cancel?

Edited by SailMinnesota