Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

Actually weather last couple of days was bad. I know that NCL missed Antigua and Celebrity passengers were reporting really bad weather in the last couple of days and they were supposed to miss or be late to Antigua.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jodilee33 said:

I’m on the crown in the Caribbean now, they have cancelled 3 stops out of our 6! Told us it’s due to weather!!! No onboard credit received except port fees which are only a few dollars. Uproar on the ship from passengers.

I thought you received either $50 or $75 due to the schedule changes forced  by the generator problem?

I my experience, Princess has usually given OBC if the problem is their's. Such as this generator problem.

They have not given anything when a port is cancelled due to weather.

People are so gullible. Do you think this problem is just going to magically disappear? Of course Princess is not going to provide more than a month notification that way your stuck and still go on the cruise. This problem will not be solved until a dry dock. If their was a missing 'magical' part, it would have been machined within days and installed if this is in fact a 'generator' issue. I bet this boat wont be able to dock when there are certain winds as it probably doesn't have enough power to safety dock, but they will blame it on the weather. The real reason is the ship is broken and its too windy to dock with a broken ship.

32 minutes ago, SailMinnesota said:

We never attempted any of the missed ports. Just sailed right by.

I realize there are no guarantees but isn’t Princess obligated to notify me ASAP prior to departure so I can exercise my Princess Platinum Protection contractual right to cancel?

Never heard of such  requirement in the cruise contract. However, can't hurt to read it.

If I was betting, I would expect/hope Princess will come forward with more compensation beyond the credit you have received for Princess Cays cancellation.  I’m sure they are aware of the dissatisfaction, and the cruise isn’t over yet.  

We were on a Caribbean cruise a few years ago just after dry dock that missed two ports, one of which their fault for propulsion issue and one was weather and we received 50% back in future cruise credit plus $100 refundable OBC per person. Our Canada New England cruise in October missed two ports strictly due to weather (Nor’easter), and they gave everyone 30% back in future cruise credit.  That one was surprising but very welcomed!  My experience is that they are generous. 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

32 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

“Never heard of such  requirement in the cruise contract. However, can't hurt to read it.”

Tough to use if they don’t notify you prior to departure:

SPECIAL VACATION PROTECTION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT
Vacation Protection “ANY REASON” Travel Credits......Up to 100% of the non-refundable prepaid Cruise Vacation Cost
Provided by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours
In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Vacation Protection, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will provide you a travel credit equal to 100% of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours, for your use toward a future cruise vacation. This additional enhancement is offered by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours as a special service to guests that purchase this ticket contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Program Addendum and is available only if purchased prior to final payment (for the cruise vacation). Certain restrictions on the use of these travel credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours, please contact the Program Administrator at 1-877-846-8833 regarding travel credits.

Edited by SailMinnesota

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I believe we reached about 1pm, but in some reason they did not allow us to disembark right away and lines were huge afterwards.

At 1 p.m. we were just rounding the north tip of the island, it was after 2 when they got to the dock.  According to my GPS, we went over 100 miles east and slightly north of the island, then WSW to the north end of the island, then down the west side to the port.  Does anyone know if this is the normal approach?  Had they gone directly to the port from St. Thomas it would have shaved a couple hours??? 

2 hours ago, SailMinnesota said:

Dominica was an absolute dump of a port and island.

I guess different strokes for different folks?  Dominica is my favorite island (Tortola, where DW and I spent 8 days hitching hiking around is a close 2nd).  No Diamonds International, no KFC, no Marriott, it is just unspoiled mountainous rainforest.  It did get decimated by Marie in 2017, but it is coming back. This was my third time here and look forward to the next time.  

Below are a couple of pics from this trip and a video link of Titou Gorge (where I'm told some Pirates of the Caribbean scenes were shot).  I did not take the video, but I did visit for the second time.  Absolutely stunning!

20200102_095551.jpg

20200102_124027.jpg

20200102_131759.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jodilee33 said:

I’m on the crown in the Caribbean now, they have cancelled 3 stops out of our 6! Told us it’s due to weather!!! No onboard credit received except port fees which are only a few dollars. Uproar on the ship from passengers.

HOW CAN THAT BE??????  I am just so upset.  We are on for 30 days starting 1/26.  

Off topic, but who is the Maitre' D???

I'm with you fishin musician!   Dominica a dump of an island? No way! Your beautiful pictures tell the real story. We can't wait to go back on this next cruise. Last year we felt like we had come to paradise. Some of the most unique experiences we have ever had and So beautiful. 

On 1/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

These are the issues when they don't take the ship out of service and make the proper repairs rights away. Passengers/customers suffer for month after month.

They would rather drag it on and on.

How long was the CB affected by this same crap and reduced speeds? 2 plus years?

I cancelled a cruise on the CB due to the speed issues (that lasted forever)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul929207 said:

I thought you received either $50 or $75 due to the schedule changes forced  by the generator problem?

I my experience, Princess has usually given OBC if the problem is their's. Such as this generator problem.

They have not given anything when a port is cancelled due to weather.

My DW and I, as well as the rest of the passengers on the Feb 5 sailing are getting $75 cruise credits.

We are on the January 26 Crown Cruise and this is disappointing news.  Since two other cruise lines cancelled their stops at Antigua it seems that the two port cancellations are probably weather related and not due to the Crown’s propulsion problems.  The water problems are another story, though.  We are not scheduled to go to Princess Cays so it looks like we won’t get any compensation.  We were excited about this cruise because it offered stops at six different islands.  Hope we don’t run into too many cancellations.  We already knew that our port times had been shortened at a few islands, but that didn’t bother us.  We have our fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

I guess different strokes for different folks?  Dominica is my favorite island (Tortola, where DW and I spent 8 days hitching hiking around is a close 2nd).  No Diamonds International, no KFC, no Marriott, it is just unspoiled mountainous rainforest.  It did get decimated by Marie in 2017, but it is coming back. This was my third time here and look forward to the next time.  

Below are a couple of pics from this trip and a video link of Titou Gorge (where I'm told some Pirates of the Caribbean scenes were shot).  I did not take the video, but I did visit for the second time.  Absolutely stunning!

20200102_095551.jpg

20200102_124027.jpg

20200102_131759.jpg

Maybe that other posted was referring to the terminal & surrounding area they now use. Yes, it doesn't appear to be that nice but once leaving that area the scenery does improve considerably. 

8 hours ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

My DW and I, as well as the rest of the passengers on the Feb 5 sailing are getting $75 cruise credits.

That is what we are getting for Feb 5. Plus we have $50 for January 26. Nothing yet for February 15 & 25.

Depends on the problem.  The CB ran for quite a while with propulsion issues till it could be fixed.  We were on one of those sailings.

Was on the Grand in 2007 and had something happen to an engine.  We were told a part was being flown to our next port to fix the issue.  We arrived a couple of hours late because of the issues, but it was fixed and the rest of our cruise was normal as I recall.

It depends on the issue ultimately and how they need to fix it.

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We are on the January 26 Crown Cruise and this is disappointing news.  Since two other cruise lines cancelled their stops at Antigua it seems that the two port cancellations are probably weather related and not due to the Crown’s propulsion problems.  The water problems are another story, though.  We are not scheduled to go to Princess Cays so it looks like we won’t get any compensation.  We were excited about this cruise because it offered stops at six different islands.  Hope we don’t run into too many cancellations.  We already knew that our port times had been shortened at a few islands, but that didn’t bother us.  We have our fingers crossed.

I suggest you check with your TA.  They all got letters telling them what the OBC or other compensation was being given for each Crown cruise.  Alternatively, check with the Purser when you board.

19 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

I suggest you check with your TA.  They all got letters telling them what the OBC or other compensation was being given for each Crown cruise.  Alternatively, check with the Purser when you board.

Thanks for this advice.  Since at this point we are only having our port times changed at two ports I’m not expecting anything, however, if there are more changes I will certainly inquire.

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Depends on the problem.  The CB ran for quite a while with propulsion issues till it could be fixed.  We were on one of those sailings.

Yes, the CB had a different problem as I do not think propulsion problem = generator problem.  I am not sure why many posters on various Crown threads are conflating the two - other than the end result seems to be travelling at less than optimal speed.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:01 AM, steelers36 said:

Yes, the CB had a different problem as I do not think propulsion problem = generator problem.  I am not sure why many posters on various Crown threads are conflating the two - other than the end result seems to be travelling at less than optimal speed.

Propulsion motors require 1000's of kilowatts of power to run at a given speed.  If a generator is not functioning, the other generators must make up the difference.  If there are two propulsion generators, driven by diesel engines and one engine is offline for any reason, the other generator must run at top speed  at maximum output to reach the required speed.  

It is often true, as it is in the case of the Crown, that one engine/generator set cannot fully compensate for the lack of power (kilowatts) required to attain full cruising speed.  Both generators are required to do so.  

The generator in question is not/was not damaged.  The diesel engine that drives the generator had an unspecified event and is not working.  These diesels, for perspective, are roughly the size of a railroad boxcar.

We disembarked the Crown this morning.  The ship ran very well for our 10 day cruise...it did not run at a speed that allowed port times as originallly advertised.  We observed no more than 18 knots at any time during the voyage.

Princess is giving everyone onboard a FCC amounting to 35% of their base cruise fare paid against a current or future booking made no later than 1/31/2021.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, steelers36 said:

Although I don't think any of us know for sure.

IMO........I think the Crown issues may be similar to CB's.