Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

10 minutes ago, Boiler Cruiser said:

Has there been any news lately about the generator on the Crown Princess?  Any updates?

We sail on her on 2/15, and someone from our roll call called Princess to see if they knew anything.

After being put on hold forever, they were told that the problem would be fixed before our cruise, but we all know how all things Princess can change in the blink of an eye. My wife and I have promised each other to enjoy this cruise despite what happens.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:17 PM, ccndfw said:

Has anyone heard how the current cruise Is going?  Are they missing any stops?  

I was on that cruise, no issues as far as I was concerned.

We skipped Cays as already warned and the second day was pretty cruddy weather and quite choppy so might not have been good weather on Cays.

After that the weather improved every day and it was glorious on Aruba and the penultimate sea day. We made all the other ports - although it was a little touch and go with Dominica and the ship sat at a list all day. 

I was surprised at the speed going back from Aruba to FL but other ships did over take us.

Overall no major complaints - it was a very enjoyable cruise.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:07 AM, MissP22 said:

I was hoping that it would affect our trip & we could receive some extra OB credit. 😄

We just rcvd notification of a missed port, due to mechanical issues, traveleing at slow speeds.. we leave on the 15th...same issue... and they knew about this weeks (months) ago.. WTH

On 1/16/2020 at 8:11 PM, candy4040 said:

How were you notified of the future cruise credit of 35%?  Was this for just that specific cruise that missed one stop because of generator problems and two because of weather?  I wasn't aware that the cruise lines ever offered FCC for these type of occurrences.

looking for your question's answer as well

Letter(s) in cabin. 35% of 1/6-1/16 fare or 17.5% of 12/27-1/16 (back to back) fare. Also $75 credit for missing Grenada on 1st 10 days and $50 credit for missing Princess Cays on 2nd 10 days. Port fees were refunded for missed ports as well as Princess excursions booked.

FCC is showing on Princess website.

Edited by SailMinnesota

3 minutes ago, jdechter said:

does it even look like they are working to fix the propulsion issue? Do they have to order a part of some kind?

That is a good question, and a question for our Maritime Engineers!

Cheers

Steve & Vicky

On 1/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, CineGraphic said:

We sail on her on 2/15, and someone from our roll call called Princess to see if they knew anything.

After being put on hold forever, they were told that the problem would be fixed before our cruise, but we all know how all things Princess can change in the blink of an eye. My wife and I have promised each other to enjoy this cruise despite what happens.

That's the only way to cruise. Have a drink on, er, you 🙂

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jdechter said:

does it even look like they are working to fix the propulsion issue? Do they have to order a part of some kind?

If it's something they can fix while sailing, I'm sure they will.  If not, they will limp along till a wet/dry dock situation for the ship.  I think the CB had it's issues for quite a while before it was resolved.

My wife and I will be boarding the Crown Princess on Feb. 5 for a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise. I wish to thank all CruiseCritic members who contributed so much to the forum regarding the generator problem. It gives me a much better idea what we are getting into. We will miss Grenada and have $75 OBC each. The only cloud on the horizon is that windy conditions are expected at Curaçao and Bonaire, our first two ports of call. I will update fellow members at the conclusion of my cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Crown Princess and found that the overall journey was satisfactory. Our arrival at Curaçao was delayed by a further 3 hours due to adverse current and strong head wind. Original arrival was 8 a.m., rescheduled to 11 a.m. prior to sailing, actual arrival was 2 p.m. There was a big rush to the gangways once the ship docked at Curaçao. As a result, all the excursions were rescheduled and only one was cancelled. The ship was travelling at 18.7 knots on the first sea day but only managed 15.8 knots on the second sea day. This was according to my Medallion App. The ship was making a lot of noise trying to maintain the speed as there was a constant 84 beats per minute drum-like noise heard in the Botticelli dining room on deck 6 aft. I checked to make sure it was not coming from the Club Fusion above. The noise disappeared when the ship was travelling between the ports at lower speeds. It appeared again when we were racing back to Ft. Lauderdale at 18.9 knots with the tailwinds. So it appears that the ship is fulfilling its tasks for now with one generator down. 

Yes, w were on the January 26 cruise and ate in the Botticelli dining room and did experience some noise and vibration from time to time.  It seemed to be more when we were leaving a port during dinner time.  We experienced some minor itinerary schedule changes at a couple of ports and each received $50 OBC.  We had no problem with this. For the most part the Crown maintained a speed of 18-19 knots.  We had a headwind and some choppy seas on our way to Grand Turk but were only about 20 minutes late arriving.  Our last two days were at sea and we averaged a speed of 19 knots.  
     We have no complaints about our experience, but should note that of our 6 port calls 4 of them were fairly close to each other.  Loved the itinerary and we were graced with glorious weather.  Would definitely sail on the Crown again.

We have just received an email regarding the boarding instructions for the 6th March cruise and its still showing Princess Cays but I still have my doubts that we will make it, also it says that Caribe Deck will board from 1.30pm, anyone got to the terminal before there boarding times and if so were you allowed to board even if your cabin wasn't ready.

We are not bothered if cabins are not ready as long as we would be allowed to board and spend some time having some food and drink and soaking up the sun.

cheers

2 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

Anyone with Late February or March cruise dates have any word from Princess about itinerary changes?

Cheers

Steve & Vicky

No word on our Feb 25th cruise, and we talked with friends who boarded last cruise for 50 days, and they have not heard anything more about the 25th and the cruises after that.

22 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

No word on our Feb 25th cruise, and we talked with friends who boarded last cruise for 50 days, and they have not heard anything more about the 25th and the cruises after that.

There's always hope they include some OBC in place of Princess Cays. 😄 

• 2 weeks later...