Crown Princess - Speed Issues?

ccndfw

I'm thinking this ship will continue to limp along with adjusted itineraries until drydock time.  As for the post stating the captain would not do the Atlantic crossing with the ship in its current state, I find it hard to believe a captain would make such a statement (at least to the public). 

I'm trying to calculate the impact of the speed issue on the Trans Atlantic route.

If I'm interpreting the previous posts correctly, the loss of the generator will reduce the speed by 3 knots.  From Wikipedia the maximum speed is 21.5 knots.  Assuming they are planning on a speed of about 20 knots the first leg of the cruise to the Azores from Fort Lauderdale is 2,824 Nautical miles.  At 20 knots, this would be 5 days 21 hours.  At 17 knots, it would be 6 days and 22 hours.

Let me know if you see any mistaken assumptions.

26 minutes ago, goneall said:

I'm trying to calculate the impact of the speed issue on the Trans Atlantic route.

If I'm interpreting the previous posts correctly, the loss of the generator will reduce the speed by 3 knots.  From Wikipedia the maximum speed is 21.5 knots.  Assuming they are planning on a speed of about 20 knots the first leg of the cruise to the Azores from Fort Lauderdale is 2,824 Nautical miles.  At 20 knots, this would be 5 days 21 hours.  At 17 knots, it would be 6 days and 22 hours.

Don't about forget the wind & water currents. 😄LOL

59 minutes ago, goneall said:

We were on the Crown in early Feb. and the max speed that the Captain spoke of, or we saw on the ship's info page, was 19 knots.

8 minutes ago, shpur said:

I’d contact princess. I saw on this blog yesterday that it was fixed 

It's not fixed. I'm on the March 6th sailing and yesterday we got our notification that we will not go to Princess Cays as well our revised itinerary for the remaining ports.

42 minutes ago, shpur said:

Not fixed. You should take comments with a grain of salt,. The itinerary for the Crown on 3-6-20 has been changed, Princess Cays is no longer a stop, which signifies that the issue is not fixed.  If it is the same problem as affected the CB earlier, it will not be fixed until a part is made. The Crown will make the TA, and when it is ready to be fixed, will go into drydock in Spain.

I'm on the March 6th sailing and I'm hoping to get a e-mail from our TA or Princess soon. I know that the postings are saying that we will miss Princess Cays and get a OBC but I would like to see our revised itinerary for the remaining trip.

2 hours ago, goneall said:

The itinerary calls for 6d 16h for the transit FLL to Ponta Delgado.  Back off 4 hours of time change, this is 6d 12h.  A speed of 18-18.5 knots will do this time, just, with a little fudge thrown in for arrival and departure at slower speeds.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

Not fixed. You should take comments with a grain of salt,. The itinerary for the Crown on 3-6-20 has been changed, Princess Cays is no longer a stop, which signifies that the issue is not fixed.  If it is the same problem as affected the CB earlier, it will not be fixed until a part is made. The Crown will make the TA, and when it is ready to be fixed, will go into drydock in Spain.

There is no certainty that a "drydock" is required to repair this, so it could be done with only a day's downtime, perhaps, to insert the part into the ship (if access cutting of the hull is needed), at any port, and the rest of the repair done in service.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paula B said:

I'm on the March 6th sailing and I'm hoping to get a e-mail from our TA or Princess soon. I know that the postings are saying that we will miss Princess Cays and get a OBC but I would like to see our revised itinerary for the remaining trip.

The revised itinerary and arrival/departure times can be found in your cruise details here:

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details?voyageCode=3008

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There is no certainty that a "drydock" is required to repair this, so it could be done with only a day's downtime, perhaps, to insert the part into the ship (if access cutting of the hull is needed), at any port, and the rest of the repair done in service.

Assuming you are correct, do you think the delay in repairs is perhaps due to needing special manufacturer order for parts or a whole new generator and they just have to wait for it?

15 hours ago, shpur said:

Earlier in this thread, a poster called princess...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2723879-crown-princess-speed-issues/?do=findComment&comment=59503503

What speed issues?

I think some phone answerer at Princess is unlikely to give an accurate answer...

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Assuming you are correct, do you think the delay in repairs is perhaps due to needing special manufacturer order for parts or a whole new generator and they just have to wait for it?

My guess is that it is something major like a crankshaft or even an air cooler that are normally not stocked by the manufacturers, but produced to order.  It is extremely rare that an entire engine or generator would be installed.  I can actually think of only one case, the Oasis, which had an engine replaced by dropping it out the bottom of the ship in drydock, but that was a warranty replacement at the engine manufacturer's cost.  Even the engine failure on the Carnival Splendor that caused the fire and blackout there, and which sent connecting rods flying around the engine was repaired using the same engine block, and just installing new parts.  A few ships lately, one NCL and one HAL if I remember right, have renewed crankshafts, and this required a hole to be cut in the hull, above the waterline, to get it in the ship due to its length.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The itinerary calls for 6d 16h for the transit FLL to Ponta Delgado.  Back off 4 hours of time change, this is 6d 12h.  A speed of 18-18.5 knots will do this time, just, with a little fudge thrown in for arrival and departure at slower speeds.

Thanks for staying engaged on this thread and providing math!

Cheers

Steve & Vicky

49 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

The March 16th sailing has the Princess Cays port day still on there! My son and wife will be on that sailing! No changes so far on that sailing!

Wait until next Mon or Tues. There might be a change yet.