Thoughts: FLL to Quebec City Cruise on the Caribbean

Jeter02

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Did you actually look into the timing on this? Is it really possible during a 9 hour port call? Believe the drive and ferry ride alone are in the 4 1/2 hour range.

Have been to Charlottetown, PEI. It's a nice town. Equal to Halifax. No better no worst. 

I like to call this wishful thinking on my part. LOL 😂

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

@CruiseVA started a group "live from" thread when we were on this sailing last July. Several of us chimed in on what we did in each port. Maybe someone can post a link to it, I need to take Woodley to the vet for a check-up and some shots.

IMG_2049.JPG

He looks like a lovey!!!

18 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Has anyone here taken the ferry from Halifax to Prince Edward Island? 

I didn't know there was one.  The first time out in that area we drove so visited both places as well as others.  There's a bridge that goes across to PEI.  The second time, our ship (Celebrity Summit) stopped at both.  Royal probably too big to be accommodated at PEI and/or to go under that bridge.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

I didn't know there was one.  The first time out in that area we drove so visited both places as well as others.  There's a bridge that goes across to PEI.  The second time, our ship (Celebrity Summit) stopped at both.  Royal probably too big to be accommodated at PEI and/or to go under that bridge.

You would have to drive to Caribou to catch a ferry, approximately 2 hours away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

Ooooh. Now the next question would be as how often does that ferry run?

You would have to check with the ferry service in the spring. The are not running now. I guess only during the warm months. The ferry drops you off at Wood Islands, around 45 minutes drive to Charlottetown, PEI. With all the travel time, renting a car plus wait time each way to get on the ferry, do you really think it's worth it? 

I live in NY and have been to both Montreal and Quebec City several times as well of course to Boston and  other of these stops. This seems like a lovely itinerary. If you have never been to either city I would try to do both as post-cruise and agree that there are more flight options from Montreal than Quebec City. Have  never taken the train between the two but easy enough to do. 

Even if you cannot stay at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, do stop in and have a drink.  Sometimes it is hard to book hotels in QC so you should not wait till just before traveling to book hotel. Oh there is an outstanding old-world service restaurant Le Continental directly across from the Chateau Frontenac. Not casual but a fine dinner with outstanding impeccable service.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

I live in NY and have been to both Montreal and Quebec City several times as well of course to Boston and  other of these stops. This seems like a lovely itinerary. If you have never been to either city I would try to do both as post-cruise and agree that there are more flight options from Montreal than Quebec City. Have  never taken the train between the two but easy enough to do. 

Even if you cannot stay at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, do stop in and have a drink.  Sometimes it is hard to book hotels in QC so you should not wait till just before traveling to book hotel. Oh there is an outstanding old-world service restaurant Le Continental directly across from the Chateau Frontenac. Not casual but a fine dinner with outstanding impeccable service.

Lovely. Thank you. I miraculously found a dirt cheap flight at 6 a.m. from Quebec City back to fort Lauderdale. So I grabbed it.

6 minutes ago, licram said:

Does princess Caribbean have brunch ? Do you like the medallions? How are the mattresses? I have a bad back and need something firm. Thanks for all your upcoming answers.

The DR is open for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days. When open for lunch (noon) there are usually some breakfast items offered.

The World Fresh Market Place (buffet) is open from 5am until 11pm. Never closes during that time. There is a selection of breakfast items until 11am.

The International Cafe is open 24/7. Serves doughnuts, pastry, and some other items in the morning until around 11am. It then changes over to panini sandwiches, salads, desserts and some other items.

The medallion works fine. If you wish to use all the app features on your phone or tablet you can. If you don't want to use them you don't have to.

Beds on the Caribbean are very comfortable. Here is information:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/princess-luxury-bed/science-behind-the-bed/ 

4 hours ago, licram said:

Does princess Caribbean have brunch ? Do you like the medallions? How are the mattresses? I have a bad back and need something firm. Thanks for all your upcoming answers.

I personally Love The Medallion in the express walk on and I love it for keyless entry to the cabin. When I was on the Caribbean Princess last Summer the mattress is my room we're definitely not new and they end up having to put a topper on to solve the problem. I'm hoping the mattress in this next room is not as horrible and extremely soft when you sink into it like it was last year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, CruiseVA said:

We did this cruise last summer, weather was pretty much perfect, a little rain here & there. It ranks as one of the best cruises we've ever taken, right behind our Med cruise the Fall before. I highly recommend it, add a night or 2 in Quebec City at the end, wonderful city, it's like being in Europe. I highly recommend it.  Just beware, it's hurricane season...

Check out our collaborative Live From, we had a very active Roll Call and carried it over to that thread...

So excited about this cruise. Traveling with 3 other great retired ladies and we are considering staying an additional 2 nights.  Not sure if we want to also do Montreal if possilble.  Thoughts? 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

So excited about this cruise. Traveling with 3 other great retired ladies and we are considering staying an additional 2 nights.  Not sure if we want to also do Montreal if possilble.  Thoughts? 

Our cruise overnighted in Quebec City, so we spent 2 additional nites there. Then we took the VIA Train to Montreal for 2 more nights before flying home. Montreal was nice, but, we loved Quebec City. VIA rail service is awesome. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, Jeter02 said:

Has anyone here taken the ferry from Halifax to Prince Edward Island? 

Yes, twice. Once on a land tour, and once with a rental car while on our own. Note -The ferry doesn't run from Halifax, it is located on the opposite side of the NS mainland. There is no charge going, but a fairly steep charge returning. Going Confederation Bridge (from New Brunswick) or ferry from NS, there is no charge to PEI, but you must pay to leave. As I recall, the bridge was $54 CAD. 

On 1/11/2020 at 8:36 AM, Jeter02 said:

Looking for insight and thoughts on a repositioning cruise end of July, 13 days FLL to Quebec City. The itinerary is as follows....

Fort Lauderdale, Norfolk, New York City, Newport/Rhode Island, Boston, Bar Harbor, Saint John/New Brunswick, Halifax, Sydney/Nova Scotia, Quebec City

Favorite things to do at any of the ports listed above. I'm a native New Yorker, so obviously that's not an issue, and I've been to Norfolk before as well.

Would love to hear from those who have done this trip. Is it Worth it? Wish I could the itinerary in the fall to enjoy the cooler temps, but unfortunately that doesn't work on a school teachers schedule.

We did this as a Fall Colors cruise twice. Our cruise started in Quebec. We fell in love with Old Quebec city. Be sure to plan extra days there. Absolutely loved Newport and Bar Harbor too.

Here is a link to a great trip report that covers many of the ports that you will hit after you leave New York heading to Quebec City.  The cruiser was on the Celebrity Summit last fall.  I chimed in with several of our experiences since the Caribbean Princess  was basically following the Summit (port reports start on pg 2).  By the way we had a great cruise on the Caribbean Princess.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2698791-two-weeks-in-canada-new-england-on-the-revolutionized-summit-my-review-with-photos/

We started in Montreal.  We had a great tour booked through Tours by Locals.  We took the train to Quebec City where we boarded the Caribbean for an overnight stay.  Given the choice I would have spent several days in Quebec City.  The one day we had there we took informative walking tour booked through Viator (would recommend the tour).  Some passengers that had spent several night there, said that the gourmet walking tour was a blast. 

A couple of other recommendations based on our experiences:

Boston - We took HOHO intending to walk the freedom trail.  Not a good choice especially since we had been there before.  Better choice might have been to visit the JFK museum.

Halifax - booked the HOHO through Princess (had to spend OBC).  Booking included entrance to Citadel which was an impressive visit.  Followed up with waterfront walk and lobster rolls.

Bar Harbor - Oli's trolley tour of Acadia followed up by more lobster rolls and blueberry pie.

The other stops were so-so in my mind.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by YLTraveler

I was on the July 2019 cruise as well. 3 caveats:

1. Some had an issue with the Newport RI water shuttle. I'm elite so I didn't experience a delay. But dinner companions complained. No issue with the water shuttle in Bar Harbor

2. I went through Customs in Montreal airport. So slow. Hopefully you won't experience that in Quebec 

3. Stairs up to the upper level of city can be difficult with a bad foot (it was for me) but hilly streets aren't that bad. I don't remember any sidewalks turned into stairs like some here (SF)