How far would you drive to get to your port on departure day !!

Garf

Like to get feed back !! I live in Orlando Fl, so it's an easy 50 mins to Port Canaveral.I usually get to the port very early on my departure day. If I had to travel for more that 3 hours, I would stay at a hotel near by, the cruise port the day before departure..

Edited by Garf
  • Like 1

Consider yourself very fortunate. For us it's a 6 1/2 hour drive to Galveston. We spend the night about 40-50 miles from the port for an easy drive on embarkation day.

Most cruisers are not as fortunate as you(or I, for that matter).

• Like 1

We are about 5 hours from Galveston and 8 hours from NOLA.  We actually prefer to leave about midnight when we drive to NOLA (kids sleep the whole trip!).  One time we drove to Mobile (10+ Hours) and probably wouldn’t do that again without stopping somewhere overnight. 

We live about 2 1/2 hours from NYC and it's the only port we've ever driven in from home the day of the cruise. For a sailing from Baltimore, we'll drive to South Jersey the day before and finish the drive the next day.

The only other port we've driven to is Charleston. That time we took two days for the drive and spent a whole day in Charleston the day before the cruise.

We live in NEPA, so it's 2 hours to get to NYC.  We have driven to New Orleans though (20 hrs), and are driving to Miami come February.  Between the cost of 5 of us to fly, plus a family members issue, we just drive.  I'm a Chiefs fan, and drove out to KC for the snow game against Denver this year.

We live by San Francisco, so we will be enjoying our next 3 cruises with a short commuter train ride we catch 3 miles from home, that drops us off in SF -- and then a 15 minute walk along the waterfront to the port. 

Long Beach Port is 6 hours away.  Have done that twice.  We stay at a Stay & Cruise hotel the night before as the hotel cost is nearly the same as the Port parking cost... and we enjoy cocktails by their pool the day before our cruise.  They have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. 

• Like 1

I live in Ohio, so nothing is close to me. I always fly in at least 1 night before, and that's when the vacation starts. I enjoy that city before the cruise. Then the next morning, I'm as relaxed as can be. I'll hit the pool and beach if possible. I let all of the crazies rush to get on the boat asap. Then I board around 1-130, head to the room, unpack, then the main event starts.

• Like 1

Since we like to get onboard as soon as we can, I doubt we'd ever drive in the day of. Unless we drove through the night and got to town early, but we like to give ourselves some wiggle room just in case.

Our 11-hour drive to NOLA last month was a welcome relief. I was happy to be able to drive to a port straight through. When we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, we'll leave two days before and usually stay the night near the FL/GA line, then get there the afternoon before the cruise. That's with me driving the whole time. I've been tempted try that route straight through with a second driver to see how that goes.

We have driven 2X from Cincinnati to Charleston with overnights in the Smokies both ways an 1X to Norfolk, Va with overnights both ways.  We always have to fly to 99% of our departure ports, so the occasional drives were a nice change of pace for us.

One of the times we drove to Charleston was when Sandy hit the east coast.  Our cruise made it out but we figured if it had been canceled we would have just taken a land vacation instead because we had our car.

We live in Atlanta. Our last cruise was out of Mobile. We drove the 4 hours on the morning of the cruise. Very leisurely. We’ve also done Jacksonville (5 hours) and Port Canaveral (7 hours) but for those we drove the night before. We’ll fly for anything longer than that. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

We live by San Francisco, so we will be enjoying our next 3 cruises with a short commuter train ride we catch 3 miles from home, that drops us off in SF -- and then a 15 minute walk along the waterfront to the port. 

Long Beach Port is 6 hours away.  Have done that twice.  We stay at a Stay & Cruise hotel the night before as the hotel cost is nearly the same as the Port parking cost... and we enjoy cocktails by their pool the day before our cruise.  They have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. 

which hotel do you use for Long Beach? 

Two hours to JAX.  Port Canaveral is 5-1/2 hours, so I drive down the day before, sometimes stopping around St. Augustine.  Have also driven all the way the day before.  Have not sailed from Charleston, but that would also be two hours.  EM

42 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Two hours to JAX.  Port Canaveral is 5-1/2 hours, so I drive down the day before, sometimes stopping around St. Augustine.  Have also driven all the way the day before.  Have not sailed from Charleston, but that would also be two hours.  EM

We periodically drive 1200 miles to central Florida. Last few cruises we have flown.