Okay so I'm computer illiterate

Bjbilly

I was given free Wi-Fi on my cruise and I'd like to know can I use this on my phone or do I have to bring a tablet and how do I get it when I get on board sorry for sounding dumb but I am as far as anything with computers go thanks in advance for any help

Yes you can use your smart phone to connect to wi-fi.  You will receive instructions on how to set up your wi-fi account.  Also you can go to the ILounge they usually have the directions available there and if you have difficulty one if the ILounge staff will be happy to help.

How to you want to use the wifi? Will it just be internet stuff like checking email or posting on FB? Or do you want to use messaging apps like WhatsApp, or do wifi calling?  For wifi calling you will need to set it up on your phone before boarding.

Edited by mom says

1 hour ago, Bjbilly said:

I was given free Wi-Fi on my cruise and I'd like to know can I use this on my phone or do I have to bring a tablet and how do I get it when I get on board sorry for sounding dumb but I am as far as anything with computers go thanks in advance for any help

As far as the how is concerned: when you board your ship, you look for the wi-fi signal named "celebrity-wifi". 

87F24C6E-A3EA-40E6-BB27-869B2D0A583F.png

When you select it, you will automatically be navigated to a screen to set up your wi-fi account.  You need your Folio number which is printed on your SeaPass card. You will then specify a username and password which you will be using throughout the cruise to login to the ship's wi-fi/internet. Once you set up your account, you will be directed to a screen where you select your package.  If you have free wifi, it will be one of the choices (and I think it is the default setting):

27BF479A-46D3-41E2-911B-48FADC09356E.png

It is meant to allow you to set up your wi-fi account by yourself.  If it doesn't work for you, then you can always go to the iLounge where a crew member can help you.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Yes you can use your smart phone to connect to wi-fi.  You will receive instructions on how to set up your wi-fi account.  Also you can go to the ILounge they usually have the directions available there and if you have difficulty one if the ILounge staff will be happy to help.

My experiences with the Ilounge have been a mixed bag. Most staff have been very helpful but we've also encountered some who acted harried and impatient.

1 hour ago, Bjbilly said:

sorry I meant to say if I leave my phone on does that mean my provider is going to charge me thanks

As rsail said, as long as you have your phone in airplane mode with only wifi enabled, your cell phone service provider will not charge you when the phone is on.

16 hours ago, Bjbilly said:

sorry I meant to say if I leave my phone on does that mean my provider is going to charge me thanks

Yes -   Once the ship gets out of port the signal will switch to Celebrity At Sea and you could get hit with some pretty hefty charges.    While you may not be getting any phone calls your SmartPhone is constantly check various things like text and is using data.

As others have said.   Put your phone on Airplane Mode and then turn on Blue Tooth (if needed) and Internet.    Many carries lie T-Mobile use VOIP and you will be able to receive text as well as phone calls  over the internet and will not be charged for data.