Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CabinC

Unwanted Upgrade

Recommended Posts

 

I just realized that Cunard has moved me from my carefully selected Cabin and upgraded me from a "BF" category to a "BB" category stateroom over the lifeboats. The problem is that I enjoy lookin down at the water and don't want to look down at the orange lifeboats. Apparently they have since sold my original room to someone else. Any chance that they will remedy this? Any suggestions? Apparently all of the rooms similar to my old room have been sold. 

Regards, 


CC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call immediately and ask to be sent to whatever location you want in your original category.  No guarantees but they will do their best to get you to where you want. It happened with my aunt and they moved them back to their original location. Do it NOW, though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LMADAMS91 said:

Call immediately and ask to be sent to whatever location you want in your original category.  No guarantees but they will do their best to get you to where you want. It happened with my aunt and they moved them back to their original location. Do it NOW, though. 

 


I did. They said it has been sold and those rooms are all gone. I'm technically in a higher category but a less desirable room in my opinion. Rather unhappy with the change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call again.  Keep asking. It may not help and you may be stuck but cancellations happen until the day of sailing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CabinC said:

 

I just realized that Cunard has moved me from my carefully selected Cabin and upgraded me from a "BF" category to a "BB" category stateroom over the lifeboats. The problem is that I enjoy lookin down at the water and don't want to look down at the orange lifeboats. Apparently they have since sold my original room to someone else. Any chance that they will remedy this? Any suggestions? Apparently all of the rooms similar to my old room have been sold. 

Regards, 


CC

Does Cunard “upgrade” booked passengers from specifically selected staterooms without first checking with the passenger?  That simply does not sound right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Does Cunard “upgrade” booked passengers from specifically selected staterooms without first checking with the passenger?  That simply does not sound right.

 

Thats what happened in my case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an option on all bookings that specifies whether you wish to accept upgrades or not. Those options are:

 

1) Open to Any Upgrade

2) Upgrade to Next Stateroom Type

3) Do Not Upgrade

 

The default is the "Open to Any Upgrade" option. If you do not specifically request the "Do Not Upgrade" option, then your booking can be upgraded. And yes, if your booking specifies that it can be upgraded, then Cunard assigns these complimentary upgrades without first checking with the passengers.

 

This advice is too late now for the OP, but if you have carefully selected a cabin location and don't want to be moved, then be sure to have your booking marked "Do Not Upgrade".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note the Cunard FAQ is a bit confusing on this topic (what else is new?). Here's what the Cunard US FAQ says.

 

(Question) Can I upgrade my stateroom?

 

(Answer) A request for complimentary upgrade can be made at time of booking and anytime up to the departure date. Upgrades are based on many factors and cannot be confirmed. If multiple bookings are cross-referenced there is no guarantee that all bookings will receive an upgrade or that staterooms will be near each other or be on the same deck. If you receive an upgrade to a higher category you will not have the option of returning to your original stateroom if the upgraded location is not to your liking. Please take this into consideration if you chose to make your booking eligible for an upgrade.

 

This makes it sounds like you have to "opt in" to be eligible for a complimentary upgrade by specifically requesting that option. In actuality, you have to "opt out" if you don't want to receive a complimentary upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Please note the Cunard FAQ is a bit confusing on this topic (what else is new?). Here's what the Cunard US FAQ says.

 

(Question) Can I upgrade my stateroom?

 

(Answer) A request for complimentary upgrade can be made at time of booking and anytime up to the departure date. Upgrades are based on many factors and cannot be confirmed. If multiple bookings are cross-referenced there is no guarantee that all bookings will receive an upgrade or that staterooms will be near each other or be on the same deck. If you receive an upgrade to a higher category you will not have the option of returning to your original stateroom if the upgraded location is not to your liking. Please take this into consideration if you chose to make your booking eligible for an upgrade.

 

This makes it sounds like you have to "opt in" to be eligible for a complimentary upgrade by specifically requesting that option. In actuality, you have to "opt out" if you don't want to receive a complimentary upgrade.

 

Its all very frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

There is an option on all bookings that specifies whether you wish to accept upgrades or not. Those options are:

 

1) Open to Any Upgrade

2) Upgrade to Next Stateroom Type

3) Do Not Upgrade

 

The default is the "Open to Any Upgrade" option. If you do not specifically request the "Do Not Upgrade" option, then your booking can be upgraded. And yes, if your booking specifies that it can be upgraded, then Cunard assigns these complimentary upgrades without first checking with the passengers.

 

This advice is too late now for the OP, but if you have carefully selected a cabin location and don't want to be moved, then be sure to have your booking marked "Do Not Upgrade".

When you book, it’s one of the questions they ask you, or should ask you.  Of course, in the excitement of making the booking it’s very easy to say yes to an upgrade without thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry this happened to you CabinC.

 

I would hope a good Travel Agent or direct booking agent would ask the question if this is the first time you have booked with them? Our TA did for us initially when we started using her and now knows to mark " Do Not Upgrade"  unless we tell her otherwise for a specific booking.

 

I know of people being upgraded on Seabourn as well to a higher deck when they specifically wanted lower due to seasick worries. So it can happen with other cruise lines as well.

 

If the sailing is some time away can you go on a waitlist for a cabin with no lifeboat in the way?

 

Julie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CabinC said:


I did. They said it has been sold and those rooms are all gone. I'm technically in a higher category but a less desirable room in my opinion. Rather unhappy with the change. 

 

You have the choice at time of booking to say if you are prepared to accept and upgrade, in which case you have to take it, or not to accept an upgrade in which case you are sure you will have what you booked. The upgrade if it happens is for the stateroom type, but as you have discovered doesn't guarantee a less desirable view outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might try asking Cunard if the people now in your original cabin might be moved into your "upgraded" cabin.  I recall an old post where somebody claimed to have successfully done that. 

 

It's an onging problem here regarding an "upgrade" - the passanger doesn't consider it such.  We had a post from somebody who carefully selected a deck 11 forward balcony but got "upgraded" to deck 8 right after the lifeboats.   On the deck plan a midship location charges more than a forward one, so technically it was an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having had some great upgrades several years ago, I gave little thought to the negative aspects of allowing Cunard to upgrade  at their discretion. The first time I made an on-board booking on the QM2, the agent strongly suggested I indicate no upgrades to that booking. We had chosen a forward sheltered balcony on Deck 5. He warned me that we could be upgraded to a different location which could be on Deck 4 right over the Royal Court Theatre or worse: above the nightclub at the stern which has caused many complaints. That would not be an upgrade in my mind but of course technically it is.

 

When I was able to book the Club or the Grills, I was open to an upgrade as there is little risk. But we are careful when booking Britannia.

 

A while back there was a posting about a couple being upgraded to a stateroom they didn't like even though they indicated no upgrades. Eventually it worked out for them. I don't recall if they got their original (or similar) stateroom back or a better upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a significant reason for this issue is that there is no provision for stating your upgrade preference when making an online booking on most websites. That's certainly the case for bookings made on the Cunard US website. Most other major online booking websites are the same. I've only run across one or two cruise booking websites that actually offer the selection of upgrade preference during the online booking process. And as I mentioned before, if you don't state a preference, you end up with "Open to Any Upgrade" by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think a significant reason for this issue is that there is no provision for stating your upgrade preference when making an online booking on most websites. That's certainly the case for bookings made on the Cunard US website. Most other major online booking websites are the same. I've only run across one or two cruise booking websites that actually offer the selection of upgrade preference during the online booking process. And as I mentioned before, if you don't state a preference, you end up with "Open to Any Upgrade" by default.

 

 

Probably why it's a good idea to use a travel agent if such detail are important to you, or take the time to call Cunard after you make the booking and ensure your preferences are noted.  Cunard is one of the few cruise lines that actually gives you this option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CabinC said:

 

I just realized that Cunard has moved me from my carefully selected Cabin and upgraded me from a "BF" category to a "BB" category stateroom over the lifeboats. The problem is that I enjoy lookin down at the water and don't want to look down at the orange lifeboats. Apparently they have since sold my original room to someone else. Any chance that they will remedy this? Any suggestions? Apparently all of the rooms similar to my old room have been sold. 

Regards, 


CC

 

I think the situation is that Cunard may upgrade passengers from a low grade cabin to a higher grade.  Generally they can just do this without prior notification.  This is the point I should confirm with them when telephoning in to rectify your predicament.  If they agree that they are allowed to do this tell them to upgrade the new occupants of your original choice into the cabin you have been upgraded into and then you can be returned to your original choice.  This is a difficult argument scenario to counter; if they say they cannot indiscriminately upgrade people you should not have been moved and if they say they can they can move your replacements and revert you to your original cabin.  If they say that the original cabin has now been allocated to new people who cannot be moved you simply say I will have the one next to in then.  You may need a supervisor on the phone. Sorted.

 

Regards John.

 

 

Edited by john watson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

...When I was able to book the Club or the Grills, I was open to an upgrade as there is little risk. But we are careful when booking Britannia...

Depends on what you wanted in the first place.  I booked a P2 on the starboard side of an EB TA - and a P2 on the port side for a WB TA - for the Southern exposure.  Had I not asked for "do not upgrade" I could have been moved to P1s on the opposite sides of the ship.  Technically that's an upgrade but being moved would have diminished by enjoyment of the sailings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm working on it with my Travel Agent. I feel badly about turning down an "upgrade" because I understand that the BB category is considered an upgrade for some reason, but I enjoy looking down at the waves passing by and I don't much fancy looking down at the orange life rafts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CabinC said:


I'm working on it with my Travel Agent. I feel badly about turning down an "upgrade" because I understand that the BB category is considered an upgrade for some reason, but I enjoy looking down at the waves passing by and I don't much fancy looking down at the orange life rafts. 

 

I feel your pain.  When we were younger and more naive cruisers, we were open to upgrades thinking we were getting a good deal.   You only have to find yourself in a higher category right above to boomety boomety nightclub to realize the cruise line's idea of an upgrade may not match yours.  Nowadays, I spend a lot of time picking which side of the ship so that She Who Must Be Obeyed will have a sunny balcony, and so that there are passenger cabins above, below, and across the hall.  Once I've locked in the room for us, I always have the booking marked "No Upgrades".

 

Maybe Cunard can move you up another category or two and get a more desirable cabin.  Good Luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CabinC said:


I'm working on it with my Travel Agent. I feel badly about turning down an "upgrade" because I understand that the BB category is considered an upgrade for some reason, but I enjoy looking down at the waves passing by and I don't much fancy looking down at the orange life rafts. 

It's an upgrade because the balconies are the traditional glass type rather than sheltered balconies.

I understand you don't want the cabin, just clarifying what "some reason" is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It's an upgrade because the balconies are the traditional glass type rather than sheltered balconies.

I understand you don't want the cabin, just clarifying what "some reason" is. 

 

Just to clarify a bit, the OP mentioned they were upgraded from "BF" to "BB". They didn't mention which ship, but in any case a "BF" would not have been a sheltered balcony. On QM2, "BF" cabins are glass-fronted balconies forward on decks 8, 11, and 12. On QE and QV, they are glass-fronted balconies forward on deck 8 and mostly metal-fronted balconies forward on deck 4.

 

If the OP was upgraded from one of the metal-fronted balconies on QE or QV, that could be considered a fairly good upgrade. Otherwise the upgrade is simply to a more central location on the ship, more desirable for many, but not if an unobstructed view directly down to the ocean is important.

Edited by bluemarble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, keep fighting.

 

Celebrity "upgraded" my reservation, which we found out at the check in desk - with no prior notice.

We had "do not upgrade" on our file.

 

We booked on the port side of the Infinity to see land on our SA cruise.

 

The upgrade was on the starboard side up to Aqua class in one of Celebrity's rip off cabins under the noisy pool deck with the overhang.

 

After 3 hours of very assertive work, we got our cabin back but had to re-create our dining reservations etc.

 

So even putting "do not upgrade" does not work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I originally had a choice of a Deck 8 glass fronted Cabin or a Deck 4 forward metal fronted balcony on QE. I opted for the Deck 4 metal front because the balconies are larger and I thought it would be a nice to use the extra space to sit and have a light breakfast or drink and watch the world sail by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CabinC said:

I originally had a choice of a Deck 8 glass fronted Cabin or a Deck 4 forward metal fronted balcony on QE. I opted for the Deck 4 metal front because the balconies are larger and I thought it would be a nice to use the extra space to sit and have a light breakfast or drink and watch the world sail by.

 

Thanks for the clarification. I imagine Cunard thought they were doing you a big favor by moving you from a forward metal-fronted balcony to a more central and higher glass-fronted balcony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...