Secrets and Splurge worthy options on Horizon?

Derbie

Hello to all you Horizon know-it-alls.  I am hoping you can give me some great suggestions.  We are sailing on April 18th, on the Horizon.  Any secrets I need to be aware of?  If we decide to splurge on a dinner; which restaurant, would you recommend?  Any great deals worth our attention?  In fact, any recommendations you would like to make, would be greatly appreciated.  We have sailed on Carnival quite a few times.  Thanks to all!

1 hour ago, Derbie said:

If we decide to splurge on a dinner; which restaurant, would you recommend? 

We sail in October so can’t give a post-cruise recommendation but I pre-reserved Bonsai Teppanyaki very early since seating is very limited (I think 16 total & only 2 seatings a night) and very likely to sell out before you board.

Edit for 1 other item.  There is a much smaller & apparently less crowded area on deck 5 called Ocean Plaza where you can get coffee/juice and some food items.  Hopefully someone who has tried this can comment on selection and how busy.

Edited by soonernstlouis

on Vista, sister ship. Deck 5 did have the ocean plaza, with limited selection of items from Lido. Good for a quick/simple meal without Lido lines.

Also, Red frog pub. We really enjoyed some of the food from there. It cost a few dollars, but is unique and very tasty. Ended up eating  in there and enjoying karaoke. 

Also, the ice cream in cherry on top was great, especially when they hand make a ice cream cookie sandwich. 

Red frog had some half price drink specials during embarkation and a few days during the cruise. worth looking at...

Again, this is from Vista, but they are sister ships.

We loved the Alchemy bar at night, the salad bar on the Serenity Deck on sea days is amazing. We were also surprised at how good the italian restaurant was - we typically avoid them since we can have good italian at home, but it was definitately worth trying. 

4 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

on Vista, sister ship. Deck 5 did have the ocean plaza, with limited selection of items from Lido. Good for a quick/simple meal without Lido lines.

Also, Red frog pub. We really enjoyed some of the food from there. It cost a few dollars, but is unique and very tasty. Ended up eating  in there and enjoying karaoke. 

Also, the ice cream in cherry on top was great, especially when they hand make a ice cream cookie sandwich. 

Red frog had some half price drink specials during embarkation and a few days during the cruise. worth looking at...

Again, this is from Vista, but they are sister ships.

Horizon doesn’t have a Red Frog Pub. 

Food is very subjective but JiJis is the best restaurant on Horizon in my book. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derbie said:

Hello to all you Horizon know-it-alls.  I am hoping you can give me some great suggestions.  We are sailing on April 18th, on the Horizon.  Any secrets I need to be aware of?  If we decide to splurge on a dinner; which restaurant, would you recommend?  Any great deals worth our attention?  In fact, any recommendations you would like to make, would be greatly appreciated.  We have sailed on Carnival quite a few times.  Thanks to all!

JiJi's Asian Kitchen! Currently, only four ships have JiJi's and their food is pretty good! Also, if available, dine at Bonsai Teppanyaki. But hurry, they only have 16 seats with a few seating times per night, so they might already be sold out.

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Also, if available, dine at Bonsai Teppanyaki. But hurry, they only have 16 seats with a few seating times per night, so they might already be sold out.

Hmm.  I wish I’d thought of saying that a

few hours ago.

Edited by soonernstlouis

After writing my post, and then reading the postings here, I'll second the motion of deck 5, and food at the Serenity area.  The reason I say this, I have been trying to read "recent"  comments from Horizon cruisers, and then making notes for myself. 🙂

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Horizon doesn’t have a Red Frog Pub. 

Food is very subjective but JiJis is the best restaurant on Horizon in my book. 

Horizon has both RFP and Pig & Anchor.

was on it last year and going again in April

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Datasue99 said:

Horizon has both RFP and Pig & Anchor.

was on it last year and going again in April

I assume you enjoyed Cheers too much on your cruise 😊. I have been on Horizon multiple times and it has never had a Red Frog Pub.  Maybe you are confusing the Red Frog Pub with the Red Frog Rum Bar, which Horizon does have. 

Bonsai Sushi on the sister ship Vista was fantastic in December.  Great food, fantastic service and lots of fun for a very reasonable price. The miso soup (an impressive surprise) tempura shrimp and the spicy tuna roll....yum.  Between lunch and dinner.....we ate there three times!

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I assume you enjoyed Cheers too much on your cruise 😊. I have been on Horizon multiple times and it has never had a Red Frog Pub.  Maybe you are confusing the Red Frog Pub with the Red Frog Rum Bar, which Horizon does have. 

Could have sworn it was there last year.

maybe the hid it.

no?

apparently I am confusing the Horizon with the Magic (year before)

Cucina Del Capitano and Jiji are both really good! We never went to the pasta bar (did reservation), but did go to JiJi one day for lunch and the line/wait was crazy long- like an hour. We waited and it was worth it! We also happened upon a small buffet down where they have entertainment and do trivia during the day- off from the coffee bar/pastries area. I don’t know if it’s always set up, but it was PEACEFUL. 

14 hours ago, Datasue99 said:

Could have sworn it was there last year.

maybe the hid it.

no?

apparently I am confusing the Horizon with the Magic (year before)

They have the Rum Bar, but now the "pub" is part of Guys' Pig and Anchor and is a "Brewery" now. It is basically the same concept though. Carnival is brewing their own beer..........

We cruised Aug 2019 onboard the Horizon(8 day Southern Caribbean). The first thing we did after getting on board was check out the atrium dreamscape, oh what a sight. Instead of the open atrium which we are accustomed to they now have a cone shaped LED light panel with numerous pictures and/or scapes. Some of the pictures I remember were from St Jude Children's Hospital patients.... so cool. Dropped bag in room then to Guys burger(to go) and JiJi Asian Kitchen for lunch. JiJi and Cucina del Capitano not too busy first 2 or 3 days but then would become 30 minute wait for lunch for JiJi and still no wait for Cucina. Supper time they recommend reservations (can be done before cruise or once on board) and the menu is very different, much better at night. My wife wants to go every night to Cucina del Capitano and I agree but we have other reservations. Steakhouse was real good as usual but the best by a long shot was the Bonsai Teppanyaki. We had 3 total in our party so we had to share an 8 top grill with a party of 5. They were very picky but the chef and hostess were very accommodating as the small kids didn't want various things. The best meal of the entire cruise for us, will do again when we get another chance to. They were not full when we embarked but were by day 2 at dinner as we inquired for another reservation, we were waitlisted though no call. We did enjoy the Bonsai Sushi and sitting at the bar watching everything being made, quickly made I might add. Pizza was plentiful but did get a nice line at times, especially following a main show. The Seafood Shack was, well a seafood shack. You would definitely smell it. I live within an hour of "fresh seafood" so we didn't try it but what I saw looked good and fresh. Guys Pig and Anchor Smokehouse Brewhouse. I tried all 4 of the fresh brews and I can say I am not a fan of any IPA. I did think the other 3 were good though. The food was OK. I am used to eastern NC where vinegar is used on the meat and not ketchup.... no arguments please, that's how I was raised. It will fill a void and it is usually much better than the buffet. Lines were never longer than 10 or so people in front of me. The elevators, now that gets some people there. You need to use the touchpad located between the cars and press where you would like to go. Then the car letter will appear on the screen in a large font and the same will blink above the appropriate car to catch your attention. This needs to be done for every guest, 6 riders means it needs to be pressed 6 times and if not this could lead to crowded elevators. Also if you have a stroller and/or handicap chair then there is a small round circle under a handicap signal to touch to let the system know you need extra space. If this is not done it could be crowded. We very seldom take a ride, I need to use stairs as I may indulge in desert. Lip Sync battle final, didn't watch the others, was real nice. Sky Ride was broke the whole cruise. They do have an Imax Theater which was nice, did not do the Thrill Theater. Havana Bar was nice but didn't go to the pool as we were not Havana Stateroom guests. Sorry this is so short but I hope this helps.

50 minutes ago, NEWMedicRN said:

We cruised Aug 2019 onboard the Horizon(8 day Southern Caribbean). The first thing we did after getting on board was check out the atrium dreamscape, oh what a sight. Instead of the open atrium which we are accustomed to they now have a cone shaped LED light panel with numerous pictures and/or scapes. Some of the pictures I remember were from St Jude Children's Hospital patients.... so cool.

Lip Sync battle final, didn't watch the others, was real nice. Sky Ride was broke the whole cruise. They do have an Imax Theater which was nice, did not do the Thrill Theater. Havana Bar was nice but didn't go to the pool as we were not Havana Stateroom guests. Sorry this is so short but I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. We'll be on Horizon for the first time in a couple months. Actually, our first time on a Vista class ship. I've seen pictures and videos of the digital funnel thingy in the Lobby. It looks pretty cool, but I'd much rather have a Lobby atrium with glass elevators. I just think they add a nice touch and I do enjoy riding them and looking out at what's going on in the Lobby.

We enjoyed Lip Sync Battle when we saw it last. We watched the auditions, missed the second round in the Lobby, then saw the finals. The finals were great, but I was disappointed when I watched some videos after the cruise and saw two people on a different cruise did the exact same songs during their finals competition. Come to find out, someone said they have a list of songs they have to choose from. I guess that makes it easier for the Playlist performers to practice with them, but it kind of takes away from it a bit knowing that the next time we watch it, we might see the same two songs performed again.

Nice to hear that the Pasta Bar isn't too busy for lunch. We're looking forward to trying that. I haven't decided if I want that on embarkation day or my usual first-day Guy's burger.

42 minutes ago, WashCoCruisers said:

What was the name of the SPorts Bar?  

Guys Pig & Anchor is free at lunch!  And it is wonderful!  

The Skybox.

How is the line at Pig & Anchor BBQ for lunch? If it's long, does it move fast? That's the nice thing about Guy's Burgers. They have two lines and both move pretty fast.

• Like 1

Question.  So is the Pasta Bar the same thing as Cucina Del  Capitano?  I understand you can eat at Cucina Del Capitano for lunch free.  If you have eaten here for there free, was it worth going to?  I know paying for the "whole" meal is worth it, but I wanted to know if the lunch is just pasta, or what?