Easiest/Cheapest way from Melbourne Airport to Ibis Budget CBD

Louand66

Hi all,

Just wondered if someone could help with the easier and cheapest way to get from Melbourne Airport to our hotel which is IBIS Budget Melbourne CBD 973 Elizabeth Street.

All i have found is several trains and buses.

Many thanks for any help.

When we fly to Melbourne we usually take the skybus https://www.skybus.com.au/  It goes close to most hotels in the CBD, Southlands/Docklands.  You save a couple of dollars booking online.  It is possible to catch public transport but my research has found it is fairly convoluted. 

Edit:  With the skybus there is a free shuttle from Southern Cross Station to CBD hotels or you could catch a free city tram which goes from Southern Cross Station to Elizabeth street street. https://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/free-tram-zone.  I think it might be tram no 11 which goes down Collins Street (but check).  By the way, there is also a free tourist tram that goes around the CBD close to lots of points of interest - it is called the  City Circle Tram

Hope this helps

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

When we fly to Melbourne we usually take the skybus https://www.skybus.com.au/  It goes close to most hotels in the CBD, Southlands/Docklands.  You save a couple of dollars booking online.  It is possible to catch public transport but my research has found it is fairly convoluted. 

Edit:  With the skybus there is a free shuttle from Southern Cross Station to CBD hotels or you could catch a free city tram which goes from Southern Cross Station to Elizabeth street street. https://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/free-tram-zone.  I think it might be tram no 11 which goes down Collins Street (but check).  By the way, there is also a free tourist tram that goes around the CBD close to lots of points of interest - it is called the  City Circle Tram

Hope this helps

Thanks again.

So just to be clear i would get the Sky Bus from the airport to Southern Cross Station and then the free tram to Elizabeth Street ?? ...Is that right..

Is the Sky Bus easy to find at the airport..?

Its help a Numpty Day....LOL

Many thanks

3 hours ago, louand47 said:

Thanks again.

So just to be clear i would get the Sky Bus from the airport to Southern Cross Station and then the free tram to Elizabeth Street ?? ...Is that right..

Is the Sky Bus easy to find at the airport..?

Its help a Numpty Day....LOL

Many thanks

Yes very easy.  You can buy ticket from staff at the bus stop.  When you get out at Southern Cross Station, you register your hotel then wait for shuttle bus to your hotel, which drops you close to your door.  Listen for your hotel, as there can be more than one bus going to different hotels.  Very efficient system.  Easiest method with luggage.  I'll be catching it again this month, if you have any queries.  I find trams difficult with luggage and trams can be crowded.

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes very easy.  You can buy ticket from staff at the bus stop.  When you get out at Southern Cross Station, you register your hotel then wait for shuttle bus to your hotel, which drops you close to your door.  Listen for your hotel, as there can be more than one bus going to different hotels.  Very efficient system.  Easiest method with luggage.  I'll be catching it again this month, if you have any queries.  I find trams difficult with luggage and trams can be crowded.

Superb....Thank you

12 hours ago, louand47 said:

Hi all,

Just wondered if someone could help with the easier and cheapest way to get from Melbourne Airport to our hotel which is IBIS Budget Melbourne CBD 973 Elizabeth Street.

All i have found is several trains and buses.

Many thanks for any help.

The cheapest way to travel from the Melbourne Airport to the CBD is by Skybus which is $19.75 per person and drops you off at Southern Cross Railway Station. As others have said there is a free shuttle to hotels at the Skybus terminal and yes it is easy to find the Skybus when you come out of the airport. we have caught it often into the CBD so we can catch a train home.

My preference would be take a taxi from the airport to your hotel which will cost anywhere from $42 to $58 depending on day and time. There are no trains from the airport to the CBD.

Enjoy your time in Melbourne.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

5 hours ago, louand47 said:

Stupide question time...Im easily confused.....

Is it a tram or a bus I get from Southern Cross Station to our hotel ??

Thanks again

Small shuttle bus from inside the Southern Cross Sky Bus Terminal.  You will be shown where to go by your driver.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, louand47 said:

Stupide question time...Im easily confused.....

Is it a tram or a bus I get from Southern Cross Station to our hotel ??

Thanks again

Sorry for the confusion.  As others have said, the shuttle bus is probably the best option with luggage.  There will be no problem getting to your hotel.  I only mentioned the tram as I have had occasional problems getting back from my hotel to Southern Cross Station (they go around picking up from multiple hotels and it can take quite a while) but that is probably not relevant to your situation.   

3 hours ago, lucymorgan said:

Sorry for the confusion.  As others have said, the shuttle bus is probably the best option with luggage.  There will be no problem getting to your hotel.  I only mentioned the tram as I have had occasional problems getting back from my hotel to Southern Cross Station (they go around picking up from multiple hotels and it can take quite a while) but that is probably not relevant to your situation.   

Whilst I take the free shuttle bus on arrival, I get the train to Southern Cross Station to catch the Sky Bus to the airport on the return trip, so I know how long the journey will take.  I don't care how long the journey takes on arrival, as I enjoy the Cook's Tour of Melbourne Hotels (a free trip around the city).