Can I make it to the airport in time???

peterf

Hello friends,

A quick question: I will be disembarking in Fort Laurdale from an Oasis of the Seas cruise on a Sunday next January. Will I have time to comfortably make it to the Fort Lauderdale airport for a flight at approximately 11am, or will I have to hang around until the evening for the next flight?

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Peter

1 minute ago, peterf said:

Hello friends,

A quick question: I will be disembarking in Fort Laurdale from an Oasis of the Seas cruise on a Sunday next January. Will I have time to comfortably make it to the Fort Lauderdale airport for a flight at approximately 11am, or will I have to hang around until the evening for the next flight?

Peter

If you walk off self assist there is no problem.  As long as your are in early departure with a low number tag there would also be no problem. Airport is just 2 miles away.  Only concern if you get off at 9 or later is the taxi line could be long. We have gotten off with earl departure tags and have been at the airport by 9am.  One time we walked into the terminal at 9:30 and lines were huge for checking in luggage with Jetblue, we walked back outside and gave our luggage to the curbside sky cap, got our boarding pass from the kiosk and went directly to TSA checkin.  I can't remember but we may have received the boarding pass also from the sky cap. happy cruising 

Add to my above post, if your flight is at 11:30 you may be able to use luggage valet, $20.00 pp,  Bags are left outside door as usual but sent to your airline in the morning, Royal has about 6 airlines on the list.  Checkin is done by Royal and you receive your boarding pass in your cabin on the last night of cruise.  

On 1/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, peterf said:

Hello friends,

Peter

We have made 830 flights out of lauderdale with time to spare. 11 am is easy

On 1/12/2020 at 4:29 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Regardless of other travel plans, it is always good to have TSA pre-check. I have Global Entry, which includes TSA pre-check,  

Clear is even better than Precheck, though not available at nearly as many airports.  (They do offer it at FLL though)

Edited by waterbug123

On 1/15/2020 at 6:55 AM, w770496 said:

Last Adventure cruise dinged out at 6:39am and made a 7:10 am flight.  Talk about stressing making a flight.

Wow!  I hope you were actually booked on a later flight and just managed to get there early enough to grab a seat on the earlier flight! 

Anyone who is not in the gatehouse 30 min before flight risks losing their seat, as it is usually stated that you need to be at the gate 30 min prior.  If the flight is oversold or there are standby passengers waiting to clear, the gate agents will start paging anyone who isn't checked in, and as it gets closer to flight time, will start paging passengers who are checked in but haven't boarded.  If those pax aren't there, their seats may be given away to standby pax or assigned to "oversold" pax.

We had an 11:00 flight at FLL scheduled for our return after Allure, never questioned it. 

The airline changed it to 8:30. We really didn’t think we could do that, but after reading these comments...

They did change it for us to a later flight (1:30) but it’s not nonstop like our original was. 
I would love to just go early and try to get on the early flight but if not, we would have several hours sitting in the airport. 

On 1/15/2020 at 3:35 AM, waterbug123 said:

Clear is even better than Precheck, though not available at nearly as many airports.  (They do offer it at FLL though)

Shhhhhh!

TSA Pre-Check used to be a great little secret until everyone started talking about it

On 1/15/2020 at 4:55 AM, w770496 said:

Last Adventure cruise dinged out at 6:39am and made a 7:10 am flight.  Talk about stressing making a flight.

Let me get this straight, you made it down the gangway, through the terminal and customs, into your transportation and to the airport, through TSA and to you gate in 21 minutes?? They would close the cabin doors at 7am. 

We've done 15-20 cruises, on RCL or Celebrity out of Ft Lauderdale and with light traffic, it's always been at least 15-18 minutes from leaving the cruise terminal and arriving at the airline terminal. Better get you watch checked out.

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Shhhhhh!

TSA Pre-Check used to be a great little secret until everyone started talking about it

So many people randomly get PreCheck now though, that it's hardly a secret.  Which is why Clear comes in really handy.  And nobody randomly gets Clear; you have to pay for it (or be such a high level frequent flyer that your airline covers the cost) so I think it will continue to be the real answer to getting through security quickly (where available).