Contactless Credit Card Tube Question

ROWSE

I am reading how to use our credit card, which has the contactless feature when we visit London in May and use the tube.

I understand it works like the Oyster card, just tap in and out.

My question:  My husband and I each have a card with our own name on it, but it is the same number.  Would it work out

for both of us to tap our own cards as we enter and exit or will it somehow reject the second person with the same credit card number entering behind

the one that just tapped in?

Edited by ROWSE

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I believe they have to be unique. My wife and I have the same account, but different account numbers on the card. 

Thank you for the answer.  Our card number is the same but now I see his has an extra number after the

letters RR on the bottom and mine has nothing after the RR.  So I guess they do have a unique number.

On this page, TfL say:

If you're adding contactless cards for a joint bank account to your contactless and Oyster account, you need to either: 

• Sign up for one account if the cards have the same long card number and expiry date 
  • Sign up for separate accounts for each card if they have different long card numbers and/or expiry dates

Now you don’t need to register contactless cards, but I think the quote indicates that it is possible to use different cards with the same long number. 

But as always with overseas contactless cards, have a Plan B in mind, probably to buy one Oyster card if you have a problem. 

36 minutes ago, ROWSE said:

Our plan B will be the Oyster card.  Thank you for the help.

My travel credit card just added contactless after my trip to London last summer. However, I actually prefer using the oyster card, because you only have a limited amount on it in case of loss. I used my oyster card quite a bit, and just popped into the tfl office at the airport on my way home to get my excess cash and my 5 pounds back. I kept it in a convenient location that I wouldn't have wanted to have a credit card in. Maybe I was just making lemonade, but it worked fine.

• Like 2