Renting a Car - looking for secluded beach - need suggestions "off the beaten path"

jmoak

Hello, we will be going on cruise in May and stopping in St. Thomas. It looks like we can rent a car for about the price of taxi to/from the major beaches. So, I'm considering renting a car to be able to go to a beach that is a little less crowded.  I'd like to have a beautiful beach that may even have shade.  Loungers for rent is a plus but no a requirement.  Also, would like to do a little snorkeling.  Anyone have some suggestions of where to go?  

Also, are the smaller beaches free with public access?  

Thanks in advance.

Jmoak

Any beach with lounge chairs is designed for tourists/cruisers. Locals take a towel and sit on a beach. Some less crowded/local beaches with snorkeling include: John Brewer's and Hull Bay. You can get food and drink at both.

The only beaches with a fee are the territorial park beaches of Magens and Lindqvist/Smith Bay.

>> A beach that is a little less crowded, a beautiful beach that may even have shade, Also, would like to do a little snorkeling <<

That describes the most popular beaches, Hull Bay is not in that list. I recommend Hull for folks looking for that beach away from their fellow cruisers, especially if they have a vehicle. There is a beach bar but it's a more "natural" beach. Brewers may be ok, cannot comment on snorkeling there, and it depends on how many fellow cruisers you bring with you into port that day looking for that same idyllic beach.

For your requirements we would consider either Smith Bay Park (Lindqvist Beach), or Elysian Beach (Cowpet Bay). Yes there are boats moored in Cowpet, but I've read reports of good snorkeling there, and there is a restaurant. The beach at Smith Bay is much, much nicer. You will see fellow cruisers there on ship excursions but you can find a nice spot on this gorgeous beach to lay your towels...bring a lunch and drinks!

Edited by blue_water

On 1/15/2020 at 9:11 AM, blue_water said:

That describes the most popular beaches, Hull Bay is not in that list. I recommend Hull for folks looking for that beach away from their fellow cruisers, especially if they have a vehicle. There is a beach bar but it's a more "natural" beach.

Blue, have you been snorkeling at Hull before and know what it offers? We are considering doing a scuba dive from the beach there and wondering if it's a good location for that? Also, is the water calm or wavy on that side of the island? I have read things saying something about surfing over there, which makes me wonder about the calmness of the area.

The roughness of the water is based on winds and swells that come and go. In the winter, there can be northerly swells which make Hull Bay great for surfing, but this isn't a daily thing. Especially in the winter, you need to check the weather on the day you are in port. May is not Surf City time, in general, for the OP.

7 hours ago, blue_water said:

Hi Mitsugirly, no we have only been to Hull for the beach. And yes it tends to be much rougher there, you may want to check reviews here on TA or VRBO from folks who rent in that area for a better perspective...

Thanks. We are looking to go in April. The dive shop there said it can be off and on during April and June-July is calm. Ehhh....I'm trying to find a place to do a Discover Scuba Dive that won't break the bank like a lot of the places there.

Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

The roughness of the water is based on winds and swells that come and go. In the winter, there can be northerly swells which make Hull Bay great for surfing, but this isn't a daily thing. Especially in the winter, you need to check the weather on the day you are in port. May is not Surf City time, in general, for the OP.

Yea, that wouldn't be possible since we are trying to dive and would need to know ahead of time because we would have to book it.

Yes any water can be extremely rough during the winter months and into April, just no way of getting you info you can be confident with, I’m sorry to say. I know you don’t want to commit and end up not being able to enjoy it. We’ve seen swells cover almost all of Honeymoon on STJ and snorkeling off the cays was quite dangerous. We’ve experienced extremely rough seas on Tortola  in April and May one week followed by glass-like conditions the next...

5 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Yes any water can be extremely rough during the winter months and into April, just no way of getting you info you can be confident with, I’m sorry to say. I know you don’t want to commit and end up not being able to enjoy it. We’ve seen swells cover almost all of Honeymoon on STJ and snorkeling off the cays was quite dangerous. We’ve experienced extremely rough seas on Tortola  in April and May one week followed by glass-like conditions the next...

Thanks for your thoughts and advice Blue. I appreciate it.

What about at Coki? Does it get the swells and rough water as well since it's in a different location?

What about Secret Harbour?

Secret Harbor is in a protected Cove and Coki is a little less protected. Hull Bay is more open to the ocean so it's less predictable. You can usually tell by looking at an island map which beaches are open to the ocean and which are in coves. When you're only on the island for one day it's better to have plan b in case of sea conditions. Check a weather app on your phone when you disembark. You can't trust a taxi driver to tell you beach conditions.

SH is the only spot we’ve found to be more protected and consistently calm other than Magens. 
I would steer you to a local (localsailor who posts on the STT and BVI forums on TA) who knows these islands and the BVI and may be able to offer some advice. Maybe IM him for his advice...

4 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Secret Harbor is in a protected Cove and Coki is a little less protected. Hull Bay is more open to the ocean so it's less predictable. You can usually tell by looking at an island map which beaches are open to the ocean and which are in coves. When you're only on the island for one day it's better to have plan b in case of sea conditions. Check a weather app on your phone when you disembark. You can't trust a taxi driver to tell you beach conditions.

The only problem is...we are booking a dive and we have to reserve and pay for the dive. So, checking the day when we arrive really isn't going to do us any good. I need to find a place that even if the weather isn't the greatest, then we will be able to go ahead with the dive and not forfeit any money. (Of course if the weather is absolutely terrible and storming, that's a different story).

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

SH is the only spot we’ve found to be more protected and consistently calm other than Magens. 
I would steer you to a local (localsailor who posts on the STT and BVI forums on TA) who knows these islands and the BVI and may be able to offer some advice. Maybe IM him for his advice...

Do you know if SH is good for snorkeling/diving? The dive company there told me that it is a "sandy bottom" with coral and a lot of juvenile fish in the area because it's protected. Sandy bottom is telling me I'm not going to be seeing much coral and probably not any bigger fish like we normally do when diving. I'm just not sure what to do. 😞

Thanks for the info on localsailor. I'll see if I can find him.

6 hours ago, blue_water said:

Not sure if this link to his account will work but you will find him responding to a new post on the TA STT forum

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Profile/localsailor?tab=forum

Thanks Blue. I made a post over there. Hopefully they will have some good suggestions and maybe localsailor will chime in on it.

We have no problem driving on the left side of the road in the left drivers position - "shoulder to the shoulder" is very natural after a few minutes. You do need to remember to look right first.

I actually have more trouble getting accustomed to driving on the left side of the road in the right drivers position. And I'm constantly hitting the wipers instead of the turn signal!