Considering Costa for Norwegian Fjords-Have questions

janerbg

The Costa Fortuna has a very appealing itinerary for the Norwegian Fjords during the dates that we can travel.   The other options are MSC.   There is one potential cruise from Southhampton on Princess, but it is a couple of days earlier than we would prefer to travel.   We have taken on New England Cruise on Princess (Carribean Princess) and one Alaska cruise on NCL (Norwegian Sun).  

I have been trying to research Costa and figure out if we would enjoy the cruise or be frustrated by Costa giving the number of poor reviews.

a)  Is the buffet open for dinner? We would want another option other than assigned fixed seating if we have a late port time or want to watch a scenic sailaway rather than sit for a long dinner.
b)   We don't drink alcohol so buying a drink package that includes alcohol is unappealing.   It appears that as US passengers we would get water for dinner in the MDR and might be able to get water in the buffet?  Can we just fill our water bottles in the sink in our cabin?

c)   It appears that there is outdoor space on each side on deck 4 (do both sides allow for smoking?) and forward and aft viewing on the upper decks.  Do you think there is sufficient deck space for scenic viewing?  (I know it might be cold :))
d)   Is Costa worse for the nickel and diming for everything than other cruise lines?   We did feel like Norwegian was always selling something but our onboard accounts for the first cruise were only the daily service charge and we purchased on excursion through Norwegian.   I think this is why I am concerned about the water!
e)   If your idea of a good meal is pasta (my husband and son) will you be able to get decent food or Costa?

Not concerned about multilingual announcements, that it has a European clientele on a European line, etc but do want to enjoy the Fjords and not go hungry!

THANKS!

There are a number of things that might spoil this cruise on Costa.

The drinks package come with all premium cabin & is included in the price so you either have to choose a basic cabin or accept whatever they give you. Water is not available all day & water in cabin is not very nice. You can purchase a water only package which is okay.

The buffet is only open part of the evening but you can get bits & pieces there almost any time.

Food is limited to the same selections in all restaurant's with just slightly different ingredients.

Yes you will be charged for all extras.

English ships tours are often cancelled or you join other languages' on the coach.

I love the multi-culture on board Costa, but for Norway we would always choose Princess over Costa. 

We did Norway on the Favolosa last year - full pictorial review here  https://notesfromthebarn.blogspot.com/2018/07/jul-2018-costa-favalosa-viking-route.html we have also done Norway on the NCL JAde

you can fill up at your sink - it tastes no different to anyothers  cruise lines ... I would still consider adding a drinks package for the superb coffee and the fact youll get sparkling or still mineral water at meal times and get to choose meal time.. (personally I would also up charge to club restaurant when youboard) .. Make sure you join costa club before booking as I think there's an immediate discount..

Edited by ighten

7 hours ago, janerbg said:

The Costa Fortuna has a very appealing itinerary for the Norwegian Fjords during the dates that we can travel.   The other options are MSC.   There is one potential cruise from Southhampton on Princess, but it is a couple of days earlier than we would prefer to travel.   We have taken on New England Cruise on Princess (Carribean Princess) and one Alaska cruise on NCL (Norwegian Sun).  

I have been trying to research Costa and figure out if we would enjoy the cruise or be frustrated by Costa giving the number of poor reviews.

a)  Is the buffet open for dinner? We would want another option other than assigned fixed seating if we have a late port time or want to watch a scenic sailaway rather than sit for a long dinner.
b)   We don't drink alcohol so buying a drink package that includes alcohol is unappealing.   It appears that as US passengers we would get water for dinner in the MDR and might be able to get water in the buffet?  Can we just fill our water bottles in the sink in our cabin?

c)   It appears that there is outdoor space on each side on deck 4 (do both sides allow for smoking?) and forward and aft viewing on the upper decks.  Do you think there is sufficient deck space for scenic viewing?  (I know it might be cold :))
d)   Is Costa worse for the nickel and diming for everything than other cruise lines?   We did feel like Norwegian was always selling something but our onboard accounts for the first cruise were only the daily service charge and we purchased on excursion through Norwegian.   I think this is why I am concerned about the water!
e)   If your idea of a good meal is pasta (my husband and son) will you be able to get decent food or Costa?

Not concerned about multilingual announcements, that it has a European clientele on a European line, etc but do want to enjoy the Fjords and not go hungry!

THANKS!

a) The buffet is always open for dinner and we generally eat there as we don't like the 2 hour marathon dinner in main dining rooms on cruise ships.
b) you can always get water on the buffet.  I'd bring a funner so you can refill a water bottle and not cross contaminate the dispenser.  I doubt the tap water from the cabin will taste decent.
c) sorry can't answer that
d) as for upselling, they are about the same as any other mass market cruise line in my opinion.  
e) regarding pasta, you may want to read up on the difference between Italian cuisine and Italian American.  There are a lot of Americanized versions of Italian food that won't be offered -- spaghetti with meatballs, spaghetti bolognese, baked ziti, garlic bread -- basically everything Americans think is Italian food.  So maybe worth researching what regional pasta dishes he likes, but there is always a protein and vegetable to be had.  I found the food quite good but I love cured meat, cheese a lot.

Just to add; we have been on the Fortuna ( made us laugh when we heard Costa had named their new ship that) three times, lovely ship, we always have a Suite which allows us to eat in Club Dining Room this now serves roughly the same food everywhere else, their food waste program does limit dishes, but 'always' available & the extra pay for choices are very nice.

I think you can still purchase one meal or whole week to eat in Club see notice deck 11.

They are playing with the buffet opening times (again food waste) but better choice there, the water in cabin is not really drinkable And any premium package does indeed give you water a great coffee, that alone is worth think about what cabin you book.

Over 300 days with Costa, but still think Princess is better for Norway, we have done two on the Grand Princess both were outstanding