Crown misses 3 ports

flyers1976

On 1/13/2020 at 8:57 PM, halfapair said:

We were on the Crown for a 10-Day Caribbean cruise from Dec 27-Jan 6th, and we missed a port (Grenada) due to the generator problem. It was very disappointing because we were really looking forward to that port.

Interesting that they have not been able to fix the generator problem on the Crown.

But we got much more time in Curacao at least. Which is amazing. As much as I like Grenada we were not as upset as it was the very next day after New Year celebrations.

2 hours ago, Tak8 said:

35% of base fare in future cruise credit seems more than  fair to me.  Sure it's disappointing to miss ports, it does happen.  It happened to me on my British Isles cruise.  I lost only 1 port, but one never knows if or when they will get back there. 

I'd rather get $200-300 than 35%.

35% is good for people who will sure use it and soon.

I'm really surprised at the discussion on another forum.  People are advocating for the ship to be taken out of service so they can have their money back on upcoming cruises.  A travel agent said that she's having a hard time with customers because Princess can't deliver on the advertised cruise.  There's a lot of gnashing of teeth over the subject and suggestions for how Princess should handle the situation, even though none of these people have any experience other than being passengers.  I've missed ports and excursions because of issues with weather and the ship.  But, I never thought of taking to social media to make outrageous demands of the cruise line and travel agent.  LOL Disappointing?  Yes.  I suspect a good time will be had on future cruises on this ship, regardless.  

11 minutes ago, CZEE said:

I'm really surprised at the discussion on another forum.  People are advocating for the ship to be taken out of service so they can have their money back on upcoming cruises.  A travel agent said that she's having a hard time with customers because Princess can't deliver on the advertised cruise.  There's a lot of gnashing of teeth over the subject and suggestions for how Princess should handle the situation, even though none of these people have any experience other than being passengers.  I've missed ports and excursions because of issues with weather and the ship.  But, I never thought of taking to social media to make outrageous demands of the cruise line and travel agent.  LOL Disappointing?  Yes.  I suspect a good time will be had on future cruises on this ship, regardless.  

I don't think it is so much gnashing of teeth as you say.  Yes, things happen...it is a ship...we understand the occasional toilets not working, etc. etc.; however, we have been on trips where the sanctuary pool has been closed 99% of the time and not due to weather.  We were told, go to the other end of the ship.  When you are paying $40 a day for the sanctuary and there is no pool that is not acceptable.  Each concern by passenger is different and unique to them.  Personally, we do not like the fact that we will not be able to get a seat to eat lunch on sea days as people take all the tables playing cards all day long.  We get away to enjoy the ship when others get off.  AGAIN, this is our preference.  We are on Crown for 30 days.  My husband just said today...it may be time after 30 years to stop cruising and our days may be numbered.  We will see.  Any cruise is good.  But when it was sooooo hot and I could not have a pool to go in...we were not happy.  Mind you that was for 30 days.  I paid $900 for the Sanctuary with no pool.  Customers are not happy as Princess knows they have a problem and are not fixing it.  There is a difference.  This is just my opinion.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:11 PM, TwoCruisers said:

This sounds a lot like the problem the Caribbean Princess had on my March 2018 cruise. Due to a generator problem we missed one port and had time changes at a few other ports. This was NOT an easy fix. The ship sailed for more than a year with this problem until they could get the needed parts and schedule a dry dock. The Crown is scheduled for a dry (wet?) dock in October 2020. This has been scheduled for quite a while so I don’t know if it will address this new problem. I am booked on the Crown in Feb 2021. This is a long time from now but I’m still concerned that it may not be fixed by then. Only time will tell.

It was in dry dock in Spring 2018.  Didn't they know it then?

20 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I don't think it is so much gnashing of teeth as you say.  Yes, things happen...it is a ship...we understand the occasional toilets not working, etc. etc.; however, we have been on trips where the sanctuary pool has been closed 99% of the time and not due to weather.  We were told, go to the other end of the ship.  When you are paying $40 a day for the sanctuary and there is no pool that is not acceptable.  Each concern by passenger is different and unique to them.  Personally, we do not like the fact that we will not be able to get a seat to eat lunch on sea days as people take all the tables playing cards all day long.  We get away to enjoy the ship when others get off.  AGAIN, this is our preference.  We are on Crown for 30 days.  My husband just said today...it may be time after 30 years to stop cruising and our days may be numbered.  We will see.  Any cruise is good.  But when it was sooooo hot and I could not have a pool to go in...we were not happy.  Mind you that was for 30 days.  I paid $900 for the Sanctuary with no pool.  Customers are not happy as Princess knows they have a problem and are not fixing it.  There is a difference.  This is just my opinion.

I completely agree with you. Some people get one vacation every year or several years so it's a disappointment when you don't get what you paid for. A lot of people choose cruises for the ports. I realize you can't change the weather but problems within the cruise line's scope should be addressed. 

On another note-I hope you asked for a refund for the Sanctuary days since there was no pool. 

50 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

we have been on trips where the sanctuary pool has been closed 99% of the time and not due to weather.  We were told, go to the other end of the ship.  When you are paying $40 a day for the sanctuary and there is no pool that is not acceptable. 

I agree with you on this, a pool being out of commission shouldn't last more than a few hours to a day, not 30 days in a row. 

Missing ports because of weather or propulsion problems, while disappointing, still allow one to enjoy the sea, and all the things on the ship.  And as someone who has been on a ship that missed a port and was late to other ports, it really didn't affect my ability to enjoy my cruise, I just had less/different times at the ports.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bollycats said:

I completely agree with you. Some people get one vacation every year or several years so it's a disappointment when you don't get what you paid for. A lot of people choose cruises for the ports. I realize you can't change the weather but problems within the cruise line's scope should be addressed. 

On another note-I hope you asked for a refund for the Sanctuary days since there was no pool. 

What I have learned.  Other people complained and they got a free dinner to specialty and a bottle of wine.  We never complained and they didn't give us anything.  Until the people told me you have to complain or they won't do anything.   It took 3 days of complaining before someone got back to us with the same offer as I expressed others had this for their disappointment.  Honestly, they make it so hard it is not worth your time on vacation to spend at the front desk.

• Haha 1