Where to eat for one evening in Galveston

PCWalton1

7 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Sorry to disagree, but have had many great steaks at Salt Grass as well as "fall off the bone" ribs.  I don't know of any restaurants on the island or even elsewhere that advertise "Texas beef".  Majority of restaurants, if not all,  purchase through a supplier as it would be cost prohibitive to purchase direct, if even available, with all the restrictions from the FDA.  Quality of food depends on the kitchen.

Food is totally subjective. What you consider "great" might be "I wouldn't feed it to my dog" to another. I give Tilman props for being able to fool most of the people most of the time and making a pot load of money for himself. I, however, don't have to eat what he dishes out. 😜😲😎

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Food is totally subjective. What you consider "great" might be "I wouldn't feed it to my dog" to another. I give Tilman props for being able to fool most of the people most of the time and making a pot load of money for himself. I, however, don't have to eat what he dishes out. 😜😲😎

Texas Tillie , are there restaurants on the island,

you consider great for eating steaks,  you would not feed to your dog ? 

If yes  which ones?

Edited by ssb

23 minutes ago, ssb said:

Texas Tillie , are there restaurants on the island,

you consider great for eating steaks,  you would not feed to your dog ? 

If yes  which ones?

Haven't been on Galveston Island to eat in over 50 years! My comments about Tilman's places are applicable to all of them everywhere. I've probably eaten at 4 or 5 of his places and all are fine - just overpriced with average food. Let's face it, it is better than what 99.9% of the people eat at home! 😜

15 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Haven't been on Galveston Island to eat in over 50 years! My comments about Tilman's places are applicable to all of them everywhere. I've probably eaten at 4 or 5 of his places and all are fine - just overpriced with average food. Let's face it, it is better than what 99.9% of the people eat at home! 😜

Considering what  99.9% of the people eat at home, most will eat  better with the overall cruise industry experience !

FYI 

The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston is the city’s only AAA Five-Diamond recipient.                                                            

As well as the San Luis Resort in Galveston have received the AAA Four-Diamond award. 

With over 600 properties he is doing something right . 

51 minutes ago, ssb said:

Considering what  99.9% of the people eat at home, most will eat  better with the overall cruise industry experience !

FYI 

The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston is the city’s only AAA Five-Diamond recipient.                                                            

As well as the San Luis Resort in Galveston have received the AAA Four-Diamond award. 

The Steakhouse Restaurant is located in the San Luis Resort 

1 hour ago, ssb said:

FYI 

As I've said, I give him props for what he has done. That being said, I see no need to use my money to improve his bank account when I'm not impressed with what he offers at the various price points. You know what they say about opinions and you are more than welcome to continue to praise him to the heavens! 😲

23 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

As I've said, I give him props for what he has done. That being said, I see no need to use my money to improve his bank account when I'm not impressed with what he offers at the various price points. You know what they say about opinions and you are more than welcome to continue to praise him to the heavens! 😲

He also improves the bank account of his employees; most of whom are local.  He also housed his employees after Hurricane Harvey; not only to keep his restaurants open but to provide shelter for those who had lost their homes.  Is he disliked because he is wealthy?  He is also a local who happens to be very successful as was George Mitchell.  Galveston would not be where it is today without these men who invested heavily on the island.

If you want great seafood and a local institution, Gaido's is the way to go!  We always do breakfast at Millers- huge portions and delicious!  You can walk from the Galvez.  If you want to grab some drinks on the Seawall, try Rum Shack at The Spot.  And the best beach dive bar is The Poop Deck.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:28 PM, ssb said:

The Steakhouse Restaurant is located in the San Luis Resort 

By far our favorite restaurant in Galveston but it’s a upscale steak place that is not cheap , nice piano bar next to it. Very nice hotel als, but again not cheap and normally needs two night stay. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

By far our favorite restaurant in Galveston but it’s a upscale steak place that is not cheap , nice piano bar next to it. Very nice hotel als, but again not cheap and normally needs two night stay. 

Cannot not disagree with George C.

These are all excellent Restaurants:

Landry's owned:   

The Steakhouse 

Willie G’s

and more

Locally owned:

Rudy and Pacos 
Number 13

Gaidos 

Shearns 

Vargas Cut and Catch

Riondos Italian

Trattoria La Vigna

Porch Cafe 
Katie's  Seafood

Saltwater Grill

Original Mexican

Taquilo's Mexican  

Kritico's Greek Grill 

Blvd Seafood

Millers Cafe

Mosquito Cafe

Sunflower

Shrimp and Stuff

and many more 

Edited by ssb

3 hours ago, jonbgd said:

What happened to Olympia Grill Pier 21?

They opened a restaurant on the mainland. Was bad timing with highway  construction and the one restaurant took all three down . However the one on Seawall in original location has opened back up as Kriticos , the last name of brothers and operated by one . 

Hope y’all are well .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ssb said:

They opened a restaurant on the mainland. Was bad timing with highway  construction and the one restaurant took all three down . However the one on Seawall in original location has opened back up as Kriticos , the last name of brothers and operated by one . 

Hope y’all are well .

Thanks for the info

Well that is disheartening to hear

we really enjoyed that place, especially for sail away

Now that we are back in SF full time 

We were going to visit Galveston and maybe do a cruise, when we fly in for Lisa' testing at MD Anderson mid May

I guess we will have to find another place to enjoy HH

We are good

Hope all is well with you guys

12 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Thanks for the info

Well that is disheartening to hear

we really enjoyed that place, especially for sail away

Now that we are back in SF full time 

We were going to visit Galveston and maybe do a cruise, when we fly in for Lisa' testing at MD Anderson mid May

I guess we will have to find another place to enjoy HH

We are good

Hope all is well with you guys

Well wishing for Lisa’s follow up . Hope you have chance for cruise . We are good . Have been caught in redeployments in the cruising world . Think we are reset now . The best to y’all . 

Edited by ssb

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2020 at 8:04 AM, JBSteelerfan said:

Saltgrass is very good.  It is a chain restaurant, but it is one of our favorites.....not outrageously priced, but still very good food.  Without alcohol, should easily be able to dine for 2 under $100.

we have only been in Galveston once before. Saltgrass was recommended to us. We found it to be very good.

21 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

we have only been in Galveston once before. Saltgrass was recommended to us. We found it to be very good.

Saltgrass is a reasonably priced restaurant commensurate with the quality of the food with excellent service . 

• 8 months later...

Have been to both Gaido's Seafood Restaurant and Landry’s Seafood House. 

Both are excellent, very good seafood. Both have excellent Seafood/Lobster bisque (One of my standards in seafood restaurants) - along with basic grilled fish. 

I HIGHLY recommend getting reservations - well in advance - crazy busy summer weekend nights - both large restaurants - but very busy,  They are on the breakwater road. Gaido's has a parking lot across the street.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Have been to both Gaido's Seafood Restaurant and Landry’s Seafood House. 

Both are excellent, very good seafood. Both have excellent Seafood/Lobster bisque (One of my standards in seafood restaurants) - along with basic grilled fish. 

I HIGHLY recommend getting reservations - well in advance - crazy busy summer weekend nights - both large restaurants - but very busy,  They are on the breakwater road. Gaido's has a parking lot across the street.

Just an FYI for anyone who might care, Gaido's is a locally owned restaurant, over 100 years old, I believe, whereas Landry's is a national chain.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Rudy and Pacos is a more upscale restaurant (pricey).

it is locally owned and gets excellent reviews.

go to YouTube and search the name, lots of info there.

the Sunflower cafe is good for lunch, locally owned and farm-to-table type of vibe.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, awhfy said:

We’re hoping Gaido’s is open this October. Miller’s also, great breakfast & best ever key lime pie I've ever had

99AFC343-A910-4D4D-AF0B-20211E5FACE4.jpeg

I haven't tried the Key Lime Pie at Miller's but we have eaten there twice in the last year before cruising stopped. A waitress recommended a fish special, and while I'm not the greatest fish lover, it was delicious! I can't remember the name of the fish, but it was from local waters, I think. So good that I ordered it again during our second visit! Hubby had some enormous shrimp special for both visits. 

The only downside with Miller's is that there isn't much parking available, so we went there for an early dinner. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Landry is just awful, just across the board.  All the restaurants are very mediocre.  I will say his best is salt grass.  But still it's in the bottom tier of steak houses.  Lived in Houston for decades most the food down there is tourist trap food.  

There is a restaurant called soul 2 soul that you'll see plenty locals grab a meal.  I like the fried chicken and the shrimp there.  Very small not a tourist spot, you can eat there or take to the beach comes to go already, it is soul food.  I also like Maceo spice company for the muffuletta sandwich, both shops are close to each other. I also buy their tomato gravy to take home and cook with.  On the more touristy side gumbo daddy makes a pretty good bowl and had great oysters last couple times I went.