Bringing aboard your own beverages (in FLL)

gadgetlady

We are scheduled on the Rotterdam out of FLL in February - 5 people traveling together in 2 cabins.  We are planning to go to the Total Wine & More near the port to get our allotted 5 bottles of wine and also some sodas and bottled water.  I know if we purchase alcohol at any ports during the cruise it will be held for us until the end, but is it also true that we can't purchase sodas and bring them aboard (for consumption during the cruise) at the various other ports we stop in?

I just have a knee-jerk reaction to paying $4 or $5 for a can of soda that I can get for 40c in a supermarket.  If I have to load up a carry-on with sodas in FLL I will do so, but it just seems silly to do that if I can get replenishments in other ports.

1 minute ago, gadgetlady said:

We are scheduled on the Rotterdam out of FLL in February - 5 people traveling together in 2 cabins.  We are planning to go to the Total Wine & More near the port to get our allotted 5 bottles of wine and also some sodas and bottled water.  I know if we purchase alcohol at any ports during the cruise it will be held for us until the end, but is it also true that we can't purchase sodas and bring them aboard (for consumption during the cruise) at the various other ports we stop in?

I just have a knee-jerk reaction to paying $4 or $5 for a can of soda that I can get for 40c in a supermarket.  If I have to load up a carry-on with sodas in FLL I will do so, but it just seems silly to do that if I can get replenishments in other ports.

You can bring soda and water on in any port during your cruise.  No problem at all.  No need to carry on the supply for the entire cruise on embarkation day.

• Like 1

Thanks, kazu.  That's not what HAL told me via chat but I was really surprised to hear it.  I've never been on a ship on any line (and we aren't brand-loyal -- we move around quite a bit) that doesn't allow soda and water in every port.

I have never had a problem bringing water or soda onboard at ports of call and will be doing it again today (if weather permits us to dock!)

I also understand that if i bring wine onboard at a port if call, i have the option to pay corkage on it and keep it with me, or hand it over until end of the cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gadgetlady said:

... I just have a knee-jerk reaction to paying $4 or $5 for a can of soda that I can get for 40c in a supermarket.  If I have to load up a carry-on with sodas in FLL I will do so, but it just seems silly to do that if I can get replenishments in other ports.

Just curious, how do you deal with this issue at theaters, symphony halls and restaurants at home?

• Haha 2

Just now, I like vacation said:

I thought the discount for soda was only for the stateroom mini bar??

That is my understanding also, however i remember a post in the last couple of weeks reporting that they received mariner discount on soda in crow's nest.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

I thought the discount for soda was only for the stateroom mini bar??

Boards was answering a question that asked about the mini-bar. See the quote above the reply? 

• Like 1

You can still buy a $50 "Soda card" for $25 before the cruise.  It's not the easiest thing to find, in your "Cruise personalizer" but look under beverage cards.  I get one for every cruise.  Some ships will limit use to 'fountain soda' (which I actually prefer) but the last few cruises they would do the cans as well.  This brings the cost down to just a little over $1 per glass.

If you REALLY like your sodas, you can order multiple cards!

Edited by StartrainDD
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, avian777 said:

Just curious, how do you deal with this issue at theaters, symphony halls and restaurants at home?

I don't purchase drinks at locations like this.  I drink water.  I generally just drink my favorite sodas (Fresca and Sprite Zero) at home.  If I'm at a casual or fast food place where I'm going to be spending a lot of time and they have a fountain with refills, I might buy a small and keep filling it up, but otherwise it's water for me.  

3 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

You can still buy a $50 "Soda card" for $25 before the cruise.  It's not the easiest thing to find, in your "Cruise personalizer" but look under beverage cards.  I get one for every cruise.  Some ships will limit use to 'fountain soda' (which I actually prefer) but the last few cruises they would do the cans as well.  This brings the cost down to just a little over $1 per glass.

If you REALLY like your sodas, you can order multiple cards!

Thanks for the tip!  That's really good to know.  Do you have to carry the card with you or does it just go on your account and get discounted every time you purchase a soda?

9 minutes ago, gadgetlady said:

Thanks for the tip!  That's really good to know.  Do you have to carry the card with you or does it just go on your account and get discounted every time you purchase a soda?

You need to carry the card with you as you do all beverage cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gadgetlady said:

Just remember that the Soda Value Card (the one you buy for $25 but can use it buy up to $50 worth of soda), is for drinks purchased in restaurants and bars. You can not use it for drinks in your room.

So, if you bring your own drinks aboard for your room, and buy a Soda Value Card, you will be spending very little for soft drinks.

Edited by Tom O.

Also remember, any beverages you bring onboard (wine, soda, water) must be hand carried on the ship.   You cannot wrap it with duct tape and stick a luggage tag on it.  Yes, the porters in Ft. Lauderdale will happily take it (along with your generous tip), but HAL has a problem with it.