Long pants needed on a Costa Rica rainforest tour?

Pduaime

We are taking a 7 hour Veragua Rainforest & Tortuguero Canals tour in Puerto Limon in February.  I thought at one time I had read to wear long pants, I assume to protect against bug bites, but now I see the tour description just says comfortable clothes and shoes.   I expect it to be hot and humid, so I'd rather wear shorts.  I'll have insect repellent.   Does anyone have personal experience with this type of tour?  Were the bugs awful?  

1 hour ago, Pduaime said:

We are taking a 7 hour Veragua Rainforest & Tortuguero Canals tour in Puerto Limon in February.  I thought at one time I had read to wear long pants, I assume to protect against bug bites, but now I see the tour description just says comfortable clothes and shoes.   I expect it to be hot and humid, so I'd rather wear shorts.  I'll have insect repellent.   Does anyone have personal experience with this type of tour?  Were the bugs awful?  

Two years ago while on a cruise on the Star we took a NCL excursion to the rain forest in Costa Rica. I was also concerned about bugs but wore shorts and used bug spray and fortunately no bites. I found crossing the rope bridges more scary than the bugs!

1 hour ago, Oviedo32765 said:

You might want to post this question on the Port of Call  (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/ ) > Caribbean (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/ )  > Costa Rica (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/120-costa-rica/ ) board.

Thanks Oviedo,   I couldn't find a board for just Costa Rica when I was on my tablet.   I found it now.   I'll post my question there too.  

7 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Two years ago while on a cruise on the Star we took a NCL excursion to the rain forest in Costa Rica. I was also concerned about bugs but wore shorts and used bug spray and fortunately no bites. I found crossing the rope bridges more scary than the bugs!

Thanks jaapie,   I'll try not to look down on the rope bridge   

3 hours ago, Pduaime said:

We did the Tortugero Canals excursion (nearly twenty years ago).  I think we wore shorts and T-shirts.  It was a really nice trip, and no bugs or bites, even without repellent.

Did this same excursion a couple of years ago. Wore shorts. It was hot and humid. Didn't have any bug problem.

You are on a clear walking path the whole way.

At the time I did comment that OHSA would have a fit about some of steps, railings, etc.

One of the best excursions we've ever done.