Sydney Ferry CQ to Manly

BoopTennis

We will be in Sydney for a few days in February. We would like to take the ferry from CQ to Manly but have a few questions 

Is it reasonable to try to do this starting mid afternoon? Will we have enough time?

When is the last ferry returning from Manly back to CQ? I looked at the online ferry timetable but not sure if it ends around 4 pm or there is a timetable section titled “day restrictions”.  I don’t know what that means

Our hotel is Amora Hotel Jamison in Southbank. What is best way to get to/from the wharf?

Thank you for any advice 

You've almost got everything you'll need!

You're in the right place for the timetable - F1 Manly to Circular Quay [ https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/sydney-ferries/f1/090F1 ].

The 'Day Restrictions' is only referring to the exact service that has the icon above that time, not the whole row. It's basically used for late night/early morning services that only run on weekend nights. ie the 00:20 Friday-only Circular Quay-Manly service.

So, you (almost) certainly won't miss the last ferry back - it's at least 00:20 on a weeknight and 23:40 on Sunday!

The trip itself takes about 40-45 minutes, plus queueing on top of that. You'll want to be on the wharf at least 10 minutes before departure, more if you'd like a decent seat/view on the boat. Embarking is pretty chaotic at times 😛

Your hotel is already pretty close to Circular Quay - it's only a 10 minute walk [ https://goo.gl/maps/ChY7xRkTKa17YeCg8 ], essentially in a straight line. You could also catch the brand new light rail, but it's barely faster than walking [ https://goo.gl/maps/sxxtyd4NuPrHq89A9 ].

I really like the Bondi to Bronte walk (I think that's what you're referring to?) [ https://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/recreation/places_of_interest/waverley_walks/bondi_to_bronte_coastal_walk ], though I think the Manly ferry is a great harbour cruise in and of itself and tips the scales in that direction..?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

We will be in Sydney for a few days in February. We would like to take the ferry from CQ to Manly but have a few questions 

Is it reasonable to try to do this starting mid afternoon? Will we have enough time?

When is the last ferry returning from Manly back to CQ? I looked at the online ferry timetable but not sure if it ends around 4 pm or there is a timetable section titled “day restrictions”.  I don’t know what that means

Our hotel is Amora Hotel Jamison in Southbank. What is best way to get to/from the wharf?

Thank you for any advice 

Yes you could go mid afternoon to Manly but I wouldn't go much later as the peak travel time for workers will start not long after that. The last ferry back from Manly is, by the timetable that will be current in February, at 12.20 am from Mon-Thurs and 12.55 am on Friday and Saturday nights. Sundays it will be 11.40 pm.

I love the trip across to Manly, probably my favourite thing to do when in Sydney. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Thanks 1

Getting from your hotel to circular quay you can walk to Barangaroo or darling harbour and catch a ferry.That would take you under the harbour bridge.

You would have to change for the manly ferry at circular quay.

From Barangaroo there’s direct service to Watson’s bay and parramatta.

• Thanks 1

We are also going to be in Sydney a few days prior to our cruise and have a few ferry trips planned:

• Manly Beach
  • Taronga Zoo - believe ferry is approx. 15 mins. from CQ. We have tickets for 'behind the scenes' at 10:15 AM, what time do you suggest we line-up in the CQ queue as not sure how crowded it will be?

Is it best to purchase an Opal card for the above ferries?  We will also be going to Bondi (either by HOHO or, by Bus 333 from CQ?). 

Thank you!

7 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

Thank you for any advice 

I stayed at the Amora 2 years ago and didn't like the location. It was far to get anywhere (by foot). If you can get either closer to Circular Quay or to Darling Harbour, I would recommend there to stay.

2 hours ago, nchpmn said:

You've almost got everything you'll need!

You're in the right place for the timetable - F1 Manly to Circular Quay [ https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/sydney-ferries/f1/090F1 ].

The 'Day Restrictions' is only referring to the exact service that has the icon above that time, not the whole row. It's basically used for late night/early morning services that only run on weekend nights. ie the 00:20 Friday-only Circular Quay-Manly service.

So, you (almost) certainly won't miss the last ferry back - it's at least 00:20 on a weeknight and 23:40 on Sunday!

The trip itself takes about 40-45 minutes, plus queueing on top of that. You'll want to be on the wharf at least 10 minutes before departure, more if you'd like a decent seat/view on the boat. Embarking is pretty chaotic at times 😛

Your hotel is already pretty close to Circular Quay - it's only a 10 minute walk [ https://goo.gl/maps/ChY7xRkTKa17YeCg8 ], essentially in a straight line. You could also catch the brand new light rail, but it's barely faster than walking [ https://goo.gl/maps/sxxtyd4NuPrHq89A9 ].

I really like the Bondi to Bronte walk (I think that's what you're referring to?) [ https://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/recreation/places_of_interest/waverley_walks/bondi_to_bronte_coastal_walk ], though I think the Manly ferry is a great harbour cruise in and of itself and tips the scales in that direction..?

OK that makes sense and thank you for all the great info.  I was considering the Bondi to Bronte walk instead of Manly, just not sure which to do, they both look great, I don't think we will have time to do both.

48 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Is it best to purchase an Opal card for the above ferries?  We will also be going to Bondi (either by HOHO or, by Bus 333 from CQ?). 

You don't necessarily need an Opal - you can use a debit or credit card (from the website: If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card or a linked device) (one that is contactless) - just be sure to always tap off, and to tap off with the same card.

https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/contactless-payments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I stayed at the Amora 2 years ago and didn't like the location. It was far to get anywhere (by foot). If you can get either closer to Circular Quay or to Darling Harbour, I would recommend there to stay.

I agree,it’s more of a business hotel not a top tourist area. 

Mid afternoon is a nice time to go over to Manly. Once there if you walk through to the ocean side and turn right the beach esplanade joins a pleasant walkway around to Shelly Beach. There are lots of good cafes and restaurants in Manly so have dinner there before catching the ferry back to the city.

You mentioned you are staying at the Amora Hotel, the one in Jamieson St, right? If so it's an easy walk down to Circular Quay from there, and the hotel is only half a block from where the new trams run so you can easily get to the other end of the city.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xjeddax said:

You don't necessarily need an Opal - you can use a debit or credit card (from the website: If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card or a linked device) (one that is contactless) - just be sure to always tap off, and to tap off with the same card.

https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/contactless-payments

Thank you.  Assume it is cheaper to purchase an Opal for 3 ferry rides (Manly, Zoo and Darling all from CQ) + 1 bus (Bondi from CQ) than buy single tickets?  As well, presume each traveller needs their own card?

37 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Thank you.  Assume it is cheaper to purchase an Opal for 3 ferry rides (Manly, Zoo and Darling all from CQ) + 1 bus (Bondi from CQ) than buy single tickets?  As well, presume each traveller needs their own card?

Yes, Opal gives you slightly cheaper fares than using your credit card and there is a daily maximum charge using Opal. And, yes, each traveller needs their own card.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Each person needs a card or a ticket.

With opal, it’s free but topping it up is a minimum of $20 .If you have money left it it’s hard to get it back.

Through the week there’s a cap of $16.10 and Sunday $2.80. So over that cap it’s free.

Credit card will give the same benefits as a opal card.
 Buying tickets  there’s not free rides after the cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

Yes, what OzKiwiJJ said, Opal will save you roughly about $1 per fare - but like Chiliburn said, you have to fork out for an Opal upfront.

However, although you will have to start with a $20 Opal, it looks like you will easily spend that with your planned trips. See prices here (comparisons for single tickets vs Opal/Contactless fares): https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/fares-payments/opal-single-tickets

And another benefit of Opal/Contactless is transfers - so if you use the same card within an hour, you will often get reduced or free fares - meaning you can hop off a ferry and get a bus/light rail/train which will save time/energy and won't cost another single ticket. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamietravelstheworld said:

Not sure what you mean. It's in Wynyard, and only 5 minutes walk to Circular Quay, or 5 minutes to Town Hall, both of which are prime places for tourists and shops. I would say it's the most central you can be to anything in general as a tourist. There are a few hotels that are closer to Circular Quay, but then you're further away from Sydney Tower, Town Hall, Chinatown and so on, so this is a better compromise.

Darling Harbour is nice enough, but is substantially further away e.g. it's about a 30 min walk from there to Circular Quay, or 15 to Town Hall, and there's not a lot at Darling Harbour itself.

32 minutes ago, xjeddax said:

Yes, what OzKiwiJJ said, Opal will save you roughly about $1 per fare - but like Chiliburn said, you have to fork out for an Opal upfront.

Agree with chili, there aren't any savings of an Opal over a credit any more than I can think of (unless you qualify for some concession e.g. child.). Which savings do you mean?

The fares charged themselves are the same whether you use Opal or credit card for an adult.

Edited by The_Big_M

18 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Agree with chili, there aren't any savings of an Opal over a credit any more than I can think of (unless you qualify for some concession e.g. child.). Which savings do you mean?

The fares charged themselves are the same whether you use Opal or credit card for an adult.

My answer was in response to the original question (which was quoted), whether single tickets are cheaper than using an Opal card. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

"Our hotel is Amora Hotel Jamison in Southbank. What is best way to get to/from the wharf?"

Southbank? In Sydney???

Sorry my typo. Working last minute details on multiple cities and misspoke. Obviously not Southbank for Sydney 

We are at the Quest Southbank when in Melbourne. 

11 hours ago, xjeddax said:

My answer was in response to the original question (which was quoted), whether single tickets are cheaper than using an Opal card. 

Ok, given most people would pay with credit card anyway, it's quicker and cheaper just to use the credit card directly on the gate then worry about buying single tickets separately.

Edited by The_Big_M

On 1/14/2020 at 1:20 PM, WESTEAST said:

We are also going to be in Sydney a few days prior to our cruise and have a few ferry trips planned:

• Manly Beach
  • Taronga Zoo - believe ferry is approx. 15 mins. from CQ. We have tickets for 'behind the scenes' at 10:15 AM, what time do you suggest we line-up in the CQ queue as not sure how crowded it will be?

Thank you!

westeast

We did a combo Taronga Zoo and Manly yesterday. Captain Cook and My Fast Ferry each have a combo that includes zoo admission and ferry to zoo and Manly and back to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour. We chose My Fast ferry as they have ferries returning from Manly well into the evening after 9 pm whereas the Captain Cook latest returned at 3:55 from Manly. The zoo took us much longer than we expected even though we arrived shortly after opening so we did not get to Manly until late afternoon. We would have had to miss it if we had chosen Captain Cook. There were no queues so to speak of to get on the My Fast Ferry. 

1 hour ago, banditoo said:

westeast

We did a combo Taronga Zoo and Manly yesterday. Captain Cook and My Fast Ferry each have a combo that includes zoo admission and ferry to zoo and Manly and back to Circular Quay or Darling Harbour. We chose My Fast ferry as they have ferries returning from Manly well into the evening after 9 pm whereas the Captain Cook latest returned at 3:55 from Manly. The zoo took us much longer than we expected even though we arrived shortly after opening so we did not get to Manly until late afternoon. We would have had to miss it if we had chosen Captain Cook. There were no queues so to speak of to get on the My Fast Ferry. 

Thank you banditoo!

On 1/15/2020 at 12:15 PM, The_Big_M said:

there aren't any savings of an Opal over a credit

Wouldn't you have to make sure that your credit card doesn't have international transaction fees?

If someone is heading to Manly they could do worse than catch the 135 bus from Manly wharf up to North Head lookout.

28 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Wouldn't you have to make sure that your credit card doesn't have international transaction fees?

If someone is heading to Manly they could do worse than catch the 135 bus from Manly wharf up to North Head lookout.

North head is one of the best views in Australia.

Is the bus must of a hassle?