Waygu

Justalone

New to cruising.  Considering Oceania mainly because of reported excellence in cuisine.

I saw that Oceania serves Waygu beef.   Is it Japanese A5A?   Or American Kobe? And is it available in the Grand Dining Room,  or  just specialty restaurants only?

Thanks.

It was on the menu in Polo but it was ground Waygu beef - not a steak.  We declined to order it.  I don’t recall seeing it on the menu in the GDR but we haven’t been on cruises more than 10 or 11 days.  Maybe others have had it ???

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

New to cruising.  Considering Oceania mainly because of reported excellence in cuisine.

I saw that Oceania serves Waygu beef.   Is it Japanese A5A?   Or American Kobe? And is it available in the Grand Dining Room,  or  just specialty restaurants only?

Thanks.

FWIW, it's Wagyu 🙂 There's a place in Seattle where we've had a Wagyu burger with pork belly on top that was crazy good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

FWIW, it's Wagyu 🙂 There's a place in Seattle where we've had a Wagyu burger with pork belly on top that was crazy good.

It's against Cruise Critic policy to correct spelling and grammar by others. Feel free to do it correctly yourself though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

It was on the menu in Polo but it was ground Waygu beef - not a steak.  We declined to order it.  I don’t recall seeing it on the menu in the GDR but we haven’t been on cruises more than 10 or 11 days.  Maybe others have had it ???

Yes...... its american Waygu,  produced by Snake River Ranch/ double R ranch.     They  have a cross breed which is  an american Waugu     Japanese A5  runs $36 an OZ      too fatty for me    Ritz carlton was offering in Dec  4 Oz  A5... imported   for $140  ( ala carte )

For perfection  Snake River has the best beef in the US according to Keller and Puck.  Keller himself turned me on to it when i  attending  was at CIA.  ( he alos gave me a full list of his suppliers) 

They have  beef they call black and gold grade  that is above Prime quality...  It aint cheap  but WOW... once you try it    you can get 4 , 4 0z Gold grade  for $55....... quality costs

No way.  Surf n turf is the 1st thing we eat when we board an Oceania ship.  It is probably prime filet mignon, but not Black Angus like their regular hamburger.   Myself, I prefer the regular hamburger over the Wagyu burger. 

Edited by deadzone1003

1 minute ago, deadzone1003 said:

No way.  Surf n turf is the 1st thing we eat when we board an Oceania ship.  It is probably prime filet mignon, but not Black Angus like their burgers.  

Actually I just checked the website and the menu say Sliced Black Angus Filet Mignon.

14 hours ago, clo said:

Is the WAGYU what they use in the "surf n turf" Bob had one and he liked it.

No  it  is regular choice  I would suspect rather than prime  because of the thinness of the cut of filet.... and the degree of donenss    chefs choose the quality according to the extent a cut  of meat is cooked.... ( order rare for the best pick and conversely, if you order well done  you will get the poorest of the lot ) The only Waygu on O is ground beef in their burger.  I  find it too fatty and greasy

13 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

The only Waygu on O is ground beef in their burger.  I  find it too fatty and greasy

I mentioned here that we go to a place in Seattle that has WAGYU on a burger with pork belly and that works but I agree with you re "too fatty and greasy."

8 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

I guess it is Surf n Turf, medium rare.  If I ordered it rare, would the lobster tail be a little translucent?😉

you get lobster  all to one degree of  done.... according to temp.    same with all fish  except sushi ( yuck)unless you relish consuming  non-sepcific parasites.    Which is another topic for another time.

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Doesn’t fresh fish have to be flash frozen for 7 days before it can be served as sushi (in US) to kill the parasites?

What I read is that salmon and tuna do but not other (or most other) fish.

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

I am certainly not an expert on these matters.

Nor am I. I just read that. I'll never have really high end tuna cause I'm too cheap/frugal 🙂 But I'd like to.