Rough Caribbean Sea

bilyclub

6 hours ago, lazydayz said:

The Adventure got knocked around pretty well late Thursday and Friday, coming back from the ABC islands.  Friday night, we heard something rolling above us all night long.  By Saturday, the wind and water calmed down some and it was quiet in our cabin.

With 35 mile an hour winds, you are going to get some rocking and rolling. 

Yeah. Was on same cruise. Nothing eventful as the ship handled it beautifully. 

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We were on the Allure, coming back from Europe, the same time and had 20-25 foot waves, not real bad. When the Captain gave his daily update, he said “if you think this is bad, be glad you’re not on the Anthem, their waves are twice as big”.

We were eating lunch in American Icon (deck 3 aft) on the Anthem transatlantic.  My Mom was sitting next to the window when a wave slammed into and covered the window.  Needless to say, my Mom was startled.  😲

We were on Empress years ago on a repo. San Juan to NYC............ran into one of those winter storms in the Atlantic after leaving Bermuda heading to NYC.

Laying in bed on your back, it was rocking so bad it would turn you all the way on your side and then back to your back and then back to your side. This lasted all night. Next morning going up to Windjammer for breakfast,  almost completely empty, everyone sick in their cabins and even half the crew was sick and not out.

Then we went up to the higher deck and looked out the front windows to get a look out to the bow. Thwe ship would climb up the waves and then come crashing down filling with water, then the ship would climb the next wave and all the water would run out through the holes on the side of the bow.

This went on for hours before it finally calmed down in teh late afternoon.

Never forget that trip.......that was our one and only cruise on Empress, never again.........

We rode the infamous Hurricane Sandy!!!  We had 30ft Seas and 80-100mph winds for three days and nights!!  

It was interesting for sure!!!  

After that cruise a little movement or wind is nothing but a “piece of cake”....😂😂

Edited by GTO-Girl

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

We were eating lunch in American Icon (deck 3 aft) on the Anthem transatlantic.  My Mom was sitting next to the window when a wave slammed into and covered the window.  Needless to say, my Mom was startled.  😲

Correction:  American Icon is deck 4 aft.

I've been on cruises where the closet door would open and close and the empty hangers would rattle. If you take enough cruises you are bound to experience those rough seas. Left out of Seattle last June on the Ovation and she was rocking and rolling all night long. On the Harmony two years ago I couldn't believe we docked at costa Maya. Once they had us tied up we went to the Windjammer for breakfast and you could feel the waves slamming into the ship. I was impressed with the captains ability to get us out of there without tearing anything up.

13 hours ago, coaster said:

Rough seas happen. I was on Rhapsody last week and we could not port in Costa Maya Thursday. Rough seas back to Tampa. Upper deck 10 closed often.  Barf bags were out on railings and never felt the need to take one. I slept well. I am disappointed when I can’t feel movement on a ship. 

I was on Brilliance and it was pretty rough heading back to Tampa. The barf bags were out and my H felt pretty bad. The upper deck was closed the whole sea day. 

Not rough Caribbean Sea, but rough Bermuda dock ...

Nordic Empress was tied up at the Dockyard in Bermuda in October 2001.  We got caught in Tropical Storm / Hurricane Karen.

The ship was rocking and rolling, banging into the dock.  Two tugs (at full power) trying to hold the ship against the dock.

IIRC, they had barf bags up while docked!  😲

Edited by Another_Critic

We were also on Rhapsody the last week of January in 2019. Captain warned us of of 20 to 30 ft seas ahead. Skies all of sudden went dark. Cabin window pointed down towards the water. Ship was listing due to winds. Captain changed course so the winds would hit the stern and correct the list. A great decision on his part. 

Problem was water gushed out of the pool and went into the forward elevator shafts causing them to be out of order until they were dried. I think January can just be rough anytime. It won't let it stop me from booking in January though.  I like the variables of being on a ship and not a land based vacation.

Edited by coaster

Port of Galveston is closed due to fog. Enchantment is parked in water outside the entrance waiting to dock. 

Captain says it there was a collision yesterday and two people are missing. Search was suspended for the night and is back in progress. 

Captain says the port won't reopen until at least 10:00am, so we're waiting. 

Steve 

On Independence, missed port of Falmouth, Jamaica yesterday due to high winds and dock overwash. We've been in 40 knot winds since sailing Thursday. Mostly in 15 foot seas, so some movement but not too bad.

My daughter is presently on Symphony and even though the ship is huge the first 2 days out of Miami were rough. They closed the top deck and then the following day the pools were closed. They were like wave pools!  Very windy and a lot of movement. When they left St Kitts to go to St Thomas the sea was calmer. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, bilyclub said:

The Empress.  The pool is drained, upper deck closed, no chair hogs.

This thread, indirectly, suggests a solution to this lower species. Chair hogs should be tied to the chairs in heavy seas. Let them save those chairs with real determination!

I was on Harmony last week and you could feel the movements. They pushed a bunch of the shows (or canceled some as well) because of the wind and waves.

We had sustained wind around 40+MPH. It was really fun going to the King Of the World Lookout and trying to stay on our feet!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 6:53 PM, smokeykat said:

My daughter is presently on Symphony and even though the ship is huge the first 2 days out of Miami were rough. They closed the top deck and then the following day the pools were closed. They were like wave pools!  Very windy and a lot of movement. When they left St Kitts to go to St Thomas the sea was calmer. 

I love reading this post. So many people over the years say you won't feel anything on these ships as the are so big. I have argued that point since we were on Oasis back in 2011. That cruise was by far the roughest one we have experienced

20 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Call me crazy but I love rough seas, especially at night.  Being rocked to sleep by the sea - doesn't get any better!

I agree, aside from the hangers in the closer banging around.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, lovelife said:

Have had a rough ride on Symphony the last two sailings. The wind and cabin creaking have been unbelievable!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cb

20200110_125123.jpg

Saw a couple of loungers fly off Deck11 and hit the Windjammer windows Tuesday.  This was only the second time I've seen this. Usually they are pretty good about lashing them down.

39 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Call me crazy but I love rough seas, especially at night.  Being rocked to sleep by the sea - doesn't get any better!

17 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

I agree, aside from the hangers in the closer banging around.

Totally agree with both of you.  Love the rocking motion as it reminds me that I'm at sea. But also I'm a light sleeper so it's a double-edge sword.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, bilyclub said:

We've been literally bouncing around the sea between Miami and the Virgin Islands since Friday. I was wondering how the bigger ships are handling the swells which are up to 18' today. We are already going to be 3 hours late into San Juan.

I am sensitive to movement, so I need the ear patch on every sailing 😞