Casablanca to Marrekesh

lpmpsail

We're thinking about booking the Nov 5th Enchanted Princess cruise which has a stop in Casablanca, Morocco.  I'm searching for a small group tour from Casablanca to Marrekesh.  I'd prefer not to do the ship's tour since it doesn't allow much (if any) time for shopping at the market.  Does anyone know of a good, reputable tour company to check out?

How long is your stop in Casablanca?

You should allow for a good 2 hrs 45 min each way between Casa and Marrakech.

Traffic in and out of Casa is usually very busy/congested and driving standards on the open roads is hair raising (to put it kindly).

The cruise line will take this into consideration when planning their time in Marrakech. I'd be reluctant to do this independently.

6 hours ago, buchhalm said:

How long is your stop in Casablanca?

You should allow for a good 2 hrs 45 min each way between Casa and Marrakech.

Traffic in and out of Casa is usually very busy/congested and driving standards on the open roads is hair raising (to put it kindly).

The cruise line will take this into consideration when planning their time in Marrakech. I'd be reluctant to do this independently.

We have 13 hours.  Arrive in port at 8:00 a.m. and depart at 9:00 p.m.

That is a good amount of time.

I'd suggest to depart Marrakech around 5 pm and not much later. (And carry your passport for that trip. I experienced frequent random road blocks,  and a passport with visa - if your country needs one - will speed things up a lot).

Sorry that I can't help with guide recommendations for Casa. Every time I was there I had a company supplied driver/guide/security. 

• 1 month later...

I agree with the other suggestions, that it will take a good 3 hours between Casa and Marrakech.  Casa is very congested and will take time getting out of the city, but the road between the two cities is excellent--two lanes in each direction, with big service areas every 20 miles or so (gasoline, cafe, restaurant, play area, gift shop, etc.--very clean and very modern).  The traffic in Marrakech didn't seem to be as congested, but still crowded.  We were with a private guide and driver in Morocco, so I cannot give you suggestions on tour companies.  I would not plan your trip narrowly to the time to be back on ship, because you never know what kind of traffic or situation you might entail on the way back to Casa.  Marrakech certainly needs plenty of time to enjoy.  I would think that even with a private or small group tour, you would not have as much time to really enjoy the old souk as you think you would have.  If you get there by 12 noon, have lunch, do a one hour city tour, you are really looking at 2 or so to begin the souk.....then maybe a quick supper before getting out of the city, doing the 3 hour drive, and then congestion back in Casa.  I would stick with the cruise ship tour.....just in case traffic is congested, etc.  You can always go back one day and spend time on your own touring Morocco and spend lots of time in Marrakech.  I liked it better than Casa......

Another thought.....if you decide to stay in Casablanca, check out Rick's Cafe!!!!!!!  Yes, there really is a Rick's Cafe!  Check out its website!  It was opened by an American women who lived in Casablanca and had worked for the US Embassy, and once she was finished with her job decided to stay on in Casablanca and opened this restaurant.  We met her the evening we dined there.  Unfortunately, she recently passed, but the cafe lives on!  You do need reservations.....But I tell you, when you walk in there, you might think you are in the middle of the movie!  It is decorated exactly like the movie and I expected Sam to walk in at any moment to play the piano!!!!!  We had a dinner table right by the piano and had great photos taken for our Christmas card there!  The food was wonderful, the service excellent, and I would highly recommend it!  For a day in Casa, I would recommend a city tour, visit the old souk, visit the huge mosque, and take in Rick's Cafe!  Enjoy!