Regal vs Celebrity Summit

luckyinpa

Here are my 2 cents: Regal Princess is my absolute favorite ship (going on her for the 9th time in March). We have cruised many Celebrity ships, both Millennium class and Solstice class, most recently Equinox after refurb. You would be hard pressed not to have a good cruise on each of these lines, but I think you really should try a Millennium class ship at least once. They have the traditional feel to them with great layouts. We had no noise issues staying in the Aqua class staterooms and I highly recommend them for the chance to eat in Blu. 

2 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

Yes right after the refurb... It was our first time ever on a Mill Class ship. We've done 4 Solstice class and the Edge. 

Summit didn’t feel dated at all to us. It felt dated in 2015.

She is in much better shape than Solstice class ships which aren’t updated yet.

And honestly I hope they will add more drawers to these 5. It was not enough place for clothes last time we sailed on Silhouette.

3 hours ago, Dawniepoo said:

Here are my 2 cents: Regal Princess is my absolute favorite ship (going on her for the 9th time in March). We have cruised many Celebrity ships, both Millennium class and Solstice class, most recently Equinox after refurb. You would be hard pressed not to have a good cruise on each of these lines, but I think you really should try a Millennium class ship at least once. They have the traditional feel to them with great layouts. We had no noise issues staying in the Aqua class staterooms and I highly recommend them for the chance to eat in Blu. 

were you under deck 9 or 11? i figured there's a reason this late in the game there are some aquas left under the solarium. putting expensive rooms under a public deck sounds counter intuitive to me. 

if princess was in NYC more often id be there but only doing the canada runs really is limiting. as much as i loved the caves in st john i dont know if a 3rd time would be just as fun

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

were you under deck 9 or 11? i figured there's a reason this late in the game there are some aquas left under the solarium. putting expensive rooms under a public deck sounds counter intuitive to me. 

if princess was in NYC more often id be there but only doing the canada runs really is limiting. as much as i loved the caves in st john i dont know if a 3rd time would be just as fun

When built, those weren't aqua class rooms - Aqua class didn't exist yet. That was introduced in 2008 with the launch of Solstice ships...

So, when they refurbed the Millennium class ships to add Aqua, they went with what's available.. and those decks tend to have larger balconies, particularly the aft facing ones..  there's minimal or no noise from the public spaces - they're actually properly sound proofed.  

Room service is free aka included in your fare, from 5 or 6am till 11pm. There's some "free" food abd some items with a charge, regardless of time. There's a delivery fee, for ant of it, after 11pm.  

Sounds like you really want to try Oasis, even with all the positive Summit reviews  - so go for it.  It's an amazing ship, and you won't regret it. Sounds very much like the additional dining options really matter to you - and Oasis has some amazing dining options.  Go for it, do the two story suite and enjoy!!

• Like 1

oh i def want oasis but i just did that itinerary and it seems like a waste to go again so soon. i really want to show my gf bermuda. i do wonder why oasis wont go there.  oasis would be for the ship for sure if i went. 

but i'm in charge of doing all the research and then presenting it to my gf. she just likes to show up and be cute. her words. but so far all my research on the trips has paid off and i love doing it. so here i am.

love the idea of free room service because we do that sporadically 

I can give a better answer in a week as we are about to board the Regal Sunday.  We did a Summit Cruise in November and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise.  Here is my live from with Photos etc.  We did Aqua Class on board.  We love Princess, its our favorite line, but Celebrity is certainly a close second!

My favorite class of ship is the Royal/Regal, and my favorite cruise line is Princess. My DH and I sailed on the Summit’s sister ship, the Constellation, due to it offering an itin we couldn’t get on Princess. 

The ship itself, though older, was lovely. The free Thalassotherapy pool was nice. I like the comfy bench style theater seating. The shower was bigger than on Princess. The stir fry and ice cream were yummy. I enjoyed getting jelly beans to take back to the stateroom each evening. I liked the EDM music around the ship. Some of the crew was consistent with Princess. That’s where the good ends. 

We were driven insane by the constant drink package sales pitches the first day; one bartender literally chased us across the deck after we already declined! Many of

the crew did not aim to please as much as on Princess. The muster drill was a joke. The shops are expensive. The shows were decent but not wow. Then the biggy; the food was quite mediocre! I was shocked at how unappetizing most of it was. I still read so many positive reviews about their food, but it seems like most of those people sail in suites or Aqua, and their food is different. The mainstream, free food made it so it was the first cruise we weren’t that sad about disembarking. 

I’d sail on Celebrity again if I needed to due to a special itinerary, but it’s not a cruise line that’s very appealing to me. 

On 1/17/2020 at 12:16 PM, luckyinpa said:

oh i def want oasis but i just did that itinerary and it seems like a waste to go again so soon. i really want to show my gf bermuda. i do wonder why oasis wont go there. . . 

Probably doesn't go to Bermuda because it's such a huge ship.  We stopped at Bermuda on our way to Europe a few years ago; we were on the Caribbean Princess and it's large but not "huge".  Celebrity uses its Summit for the Bermuda "run" in the summer.  It's even smaller.

ive researched heavily the past week. i think i will wind up on deck 6 mid forward in a veranda. as much as i wish was a double sofa. since the tv is not there by the sofa that wont matter. and even the inside bathrooms are the same so i will be good there.

i see no reason not to choose this location. any opinions?  

the only other option for bermuda was the carnival pride but she's around here till end of next year so can do that experience then. i just love trying new ships and itineraries. i have a limited window of travel this year so early june it is.