MSC Meraviglia Toilet Paper/Tissues

cruisefoodie1949

Nope, the new policy on some MSC ships is that the familiar box of tissues must be requested. We were on the brand new Grandiosa in Europe and I thought it was because my steward wasn't well trained. She brought it promptly when I requested it.

I asked my tablemates and they all reported the same issue with no tissue.

The response from the company is supposedly that passengers were disposing of their tissues into the toilets and clogging the system.  I think it is a cost cutting measure.

Toilet paper was no problem. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Nope, the new policy on some MSC ships is that the familiar box of tissues must be requested. We were on the brand new Grandiosa in Europe and I thought it was because my steward wasn't well trained. She brought it promptly when I requested it.

I asked my tablemates and they all reported the same issue with no tissue.

The response from the company is supposedly that passengers were disposing of their tissues into the toilets and clogging the system.  I think it is a cost cutting measure.

Toilet paper was no problem. 

I did read about the clogging from a previous poster.   I don't know if is true, but the previous poster suggested it was an issue on sailings other than from the US.  It was something to do with the style of tp in europe that had people mistaking the tissues for the tp and flushing it, causing plumbing problems.  Doesn't really make sense as there are lots of Europeans on US sailings.   I  thought it odd that on the Meraviglia, the tissue dispenser is next to the toilet.  We took a box with us just in case, but did  not need it.  

No issues with toilet paper.  As much as you need, but no more tissues at least on my early December MERAVIGLIA cruise.  We had three different cabins and were denied a box of tissues in each.  We were told MSC did away with them for environmental reasons.  BS.  We were told only the YC has tissues.  So in our case, not available even on request.  It was denied.  

This is not to say that you won't be able to get tissues.  The one consistent thing about MSC is inconsistency.  LOL. 

Other than a few quirks such as the tissues, we had a great time and it was a great value for what we paid.  Honestly we paid so little I count myself lucky to even have toilet paper!  LOL.  

1 hour ago, eroller said:

.  BS.  

I agree but I have also seen drastic changes in very good hotels around Europe due to environmental concerns.

- NO daily restocking of shampoo and shower gel bottles , only on request.

- NO daily changing of towels , only on request.

- Water saving devices installed in shower head.

- Use of glass bottles vs plastic bottles.

I guess the cruise ship industry is following this trend. 

1 hour ago, SirWolf said:

I agree but I have also seen drastic changes in very good hotels around Europe due to environmental concerns.

- NO daily restocking of shampoo and shower gel bottles , only on request.

- NO daily changing of towels , only on request.

- Water saving devices installed in shower head.

- Use of glass bottles vs plastic bottles.

I guess the cruise ship industry is following this trend. 

Here is why I call BS.   They are just substituting one form of paper for another.  Since they cut the tissues, now people have to use toilet paper for the things they used tissues for.  In fact I had my cabin steward leave an extra roll of toilet paper which I used as tissues and he did no problem.  I have a feeling the poor guy is tired of explaining there are no tissues.  To me this was a plain and simple cost cutting initiative disguised as an "environmental" policy.  Companies love to pull this because people won't question the environment.  They have done the same with "security" in the past.  I remember when visits to the bridge were halted due to security concerns ... but then somehow the security concerns were negated when people paid for bridge visits.  Somehow that made them safe.  Again BS.  

If MSC were truly concerned about the environment and wanted to do something ground breaking, then eliminate the daily activity papers that are delivered each and every day, 7 days a week.  Four thick color pages daily, probably about 4000 copies each day, times 7 days a week and 15 or so ships.  That is a LOT of paper.   Most of it is advertising for producing onboard revenue.  The activities are available on the app, the TV, and the interactive screens around the ship.  Not to mention all the ink that is used.     

If people are truly concerned about the environment, cutting down trees and eliminating waste, they should be urging cruise lines to quit printing these daily programs full of advertisements.  But because they are considered a "revenue producer", somehow I doubt we will see them go away.    

Edited by eroller
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, eroller said:

If MSC were truly concerned about the environment and wanted to do something ground breaking, then eliminate the daily activity papers that are delivered each and every day, 7 days a week.  Four thick color pages daily, probably about 4000 copies each day, times 7 days a week and 15 or so ships.  That is a LOT of paper.   Most of it is advertising for producing onboard revenue.  The activities are available on the app, the TV, and the interactive screens around the ship.  Not to mention all the ink that is used.     

If people are truly concerned about the environment, cutting down trees and eliminating waste, they should be urging cruise lines to quit printing these daily programs full of advertisements.  But because they are considered a "revenue producer", somehow I doubt we will see them go away.    

I hope that you are right and that they will keep the daily activity papers. I really like them even if they were better on our first cruises than now.

No digital presentation is better than getting a paper!

Last week on Meraviglia, we asked for tissue and were told it was not available as they were "saving resources." Apparently, in the age of Greta Thunberg, blowing one's nose is a waste of resources. So we just used the less convenient and comfortable toilet paper for that purpose (sorry, Greta).

Once MSC management determines that they can get away with classifying toilet use as a waste of resources, we may have to bring on board those old Sears Roebuck catalogs and dried corn cobs to accomplish the needed tasks. (Only those over 50 will understand the humor here.)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, eroller said:

What you said made a lot of sense.  Even if people want them, only one per cabin would reduce waste by half

15 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I hope that you are right and that they will keep the daily activity papers. I really like them even if they were better on our first cruises than now.

No digital presentation is better than getting a paper!

I can't say that I agree.  I genuinely prefer reading on my tablet (or kindle).  I admit that it did take me awhile to adjust.

We ALL carry our phones everyplace these days.  I don't want to have to carry pieces of paper too.  

The fact that its a waste of resources is bothersome.  That the cruise ships don't even recycle all those pretty advertisements (and the daily programs) is disgraceful.  (Not just MSC on that score.)

2 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I can't say that I agree.  I genuinely prefer reading on my tablet (or kindle).  I admit that it did take me awhile to adjust.

We ALL carry our phones everyplace these days.  I don't want to have to carry pieces of paper too.  

The fact that its a waste of resources is bothersome.  That the cruise ships don't even recycle all those pretty advertisements (and the daily programs) is disgraceful.  (Not just MSC on that score.)

My opinion is that on paper is always the best way to read.

Far from everyone carry their phones everyplace. Mine is in the safe the whole cruise and I should never bring a tablet on a cruise. Most of the time I don't carry that piece of paper, I read it in the cabin.

I believe that buying a new phone often is much worse  for the environment than the paper MSC use.

People who are worried about the paperwaste should probably not cruise.

Just my opinion! Of course you are allowed to disagree with me! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

My opinion is that on paper is always the best way to read.

Far from everyone carry their phones everyplace. Mine is in the safe the whole cruise and I should never bring a tablet on a cruise. Most of the time I don't carry that piece of paper, I read it in the cabin.

I believe that buying a new phone often is much worse  for the environment than the paper MSC use.

People who are worried about the paperwaste should probably not cruise.

Just my opinion! Of course you are allowed to disagree with me! 

I guess I hit a sore point with you.  Certainly, we can disagree.  Ultimately, our opinions won't matter.  The print industry is dying.

I'm understand that MANY people prefer paper over digital content.  I'm sure that newspaper publishers desperately wish that MOST readers agreed with that preference since paid circulation of daily newspapers has dropped by half since 1985.  About 30% of newspapers have closed completely.   Even the CEO of the venerable New York times admits "We will stop printing the New York Times sometime in the future, date TBD."

The same is happening with books printed on paper, albeit at a slower rate.  It took me awhile to adjust to a kindle.  When I realized that it was incredibly portable and I could read at night without bothering my husband by turning on the bedroom lights, it became a no brainer.  I kinda miss going to the library, though.

Frankly,  I'm a FAR stretch from an environmentalist.   I'm not 'into digital' because of the environmental benefits.  I like it for convenience.  In the case of news, I like digital becauseit's fresh, up to the minute information - not yesterday's leftovers.  At 63 years old, I recognize that I HAVE to get used to digital content because sooner than we think, it will be our only option.  Even on cruise ships (hell, if they are saving money by taking away our tissues, dontcha think they'll take away printing the dailies???)

"People who are worried about the paperwaste should probably not cruise."  Seriously????  SMH.

PS I don't bring my tablet when we travel.  In 25+ cruises,  I have NEVER purchased a wifi package and have no intention of ever doing so.  I turn my phone off when we leave the country because I'm not paying for international phone calls.  I check my emails when I find wifi in port and use my phone for directions, looking up addresses and restaurant recommendations.  I'm certainly not glued to my phone like every millennial and younger. 

Edited by jkgourmet

I guess I hit a sore point with you.  Certainly, we can disagree.  Ultimately, our opinions won't matter.  The print industry is dying.

You are right, you hit a sore point. I know that the print industri is dying and that make me sad.  

• Like 1

I'm understand that MANY people prefer paper over digital content.  I'm sure that newspaper publishers desperately wish that MOST readers agreed with that preference since paid circulation of daily newspapers has dropped by half since 1985.  About 30% of newspapers have closed completely.   Even the CEO of the venerable New York times admits "We will stop printing the New York Times sometime in the future, date TBD."

I don't really think that newspaper publishers wish that. They probably want their readers to stop reading on paper and pay for their digital "paper" instead, at least here in Sweden.

I have subscribed on our local paper since I moved out from my parents but that will soon end. It is possible to subscribe only to their digital "paper" but not only to their paper on paper. I don't like that!          

The same is happening with books printed on paper, albeit at a slower rate.  It took me awhile to adjust to a kindle.  When I realized that it was incredibly portable and I could read at night without bothering my husband by turning on the bedroom lights, it became a no brainer.  I kinda miss going to the library, though.

I will never adjust to kindle because I don't want to adjust. I read books on paper and have no desire to do it any other way. When no more books are printed I will read old books on paper, not digital books.