Shorts in the MDR for dinner

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Funny how you go on and on about what is worn on Royal Caribbean ships, yet you haven't even sailed on one yet.  Look at the website, it is spelled out for all to see.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Me not being on a RC cruise yet has nothing to do with it.  
It might spelled out but it’s not enforced. As many have stated in many posts here and on other threads.   
but thanks for the link.  It’s useless unless it’s enforced.  

if they didnt want shorts why not say so.  Like tank tops.  

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.     

Edited by Ptroxx

10 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

You're entering a nice beautiful dinning room with upscale china, silverware, glassware, cloth tablecloths,and staff in vests & tie.

Where they serve 1 star banquet style food, prepared in advance, for the masses 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

what is it about calves and knees that upset people so much? are they obscene or something?

Is mostly peoples insecurity in their own self.  And maybe jealousy 
worry about yourself an not what others do.    

3 minutes ago, ryano said:

Where they serve 1 star banquet style food, prepared in advance, for the masses 😎

Exactly.   

Edited by Ptroxx

34 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I don’t follow your answer.   There’s no dress suggestion that is spelled out.  
and your to be extreme suggestion.  Wearing pants down to you knees is in no way being respectful.  
respect isn’t in the clothes you wear. Its how you present yourself when you wearing what ever your wear.   

my point about being someone who’s retired is just that.   Your a lot older. And lived in a different world a different day and age.   

in today’s world.  Shorts are acceptable in most nice restaurants all over the world.  
And that’s all the MDR’s is. A nice chili’s or Olive Garden like another poster mentioned. 

so until a dress code is actually spelled out.
I’ll keep wearing my very nice shorts and button up shirts 

but I’ll have more respect in my little finger than someone who puts a label on someone’s attire.   

if you enjoy getting dress up.  By all means. Go for it.  
I’ll gladly take the time to stop and take a picture for you and your spouse.  
So you have the great memories.    

Don’t worry about what others wear.  
It has no effect on your enjoyment of the cruise.  
If it does.  Then you have another problem.    Just saying 

#nopantsworn

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Me not being on a RC cruise yet has nothing to do with it.  
It might spelled out but it’s not enforced. As many have stated in many posts here and on other threads.   
but thanks for the link.  It’s useless unless it’s enforced.  

if they didnt want shorts why not say so.  Like tank tops.  

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.     

Keep backpedalling and quoting what works for you.  The link says that shorts are welcome at breakfast and lunch. 

10 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

This shouldn't be about whether you can or should.  It's about Respect.  Respect to yourself, to your spouse/partner, & to your fellow tablemates.  

You're entering a nice beautiful dinning room with upscale china, silverware, glassware, cloth tablecloths,and staff in vests & tie.

We also dress all of our boys in long pants ever since they can walk & still do 20+ cruises & 25 yrs later.  

One pair of nice long pants doesn't take up that much more luggage space than shorts.

We do not care whether what others are wearing, we can't control what they wear, but just for us, it's all about showing respect to rest of our traveling family...

Are you kidding me.. Respect=Dress Mode.  If I can wear shorts at Sunday Mass, I certainly can wear them in the MDR.  Plus, when one sits down, no one sees what one is wearing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Keep backpedalling and quoting what works for you.  The link says that shorts are welcome at breakfast and lunch. 

Not backpedalling at all. Yes it does say that 

But no were does it say shorts aren’t welcome. 
like it says Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

if they didn’t allow shorts.  Wouldn’t  it be right next to tank tops ????  
#boomer

Edited by Ptroxx

31 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

But no were does it say shorts aren’t welcome. 
like it says Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.

if they didn’t allow shorts.  Wouldn’t  it be right next to tank tops ????  
#boomer

Well then I guess bathrobes are also allowed.

Here's the only thing that matters, the cruise lines could enforce a stricter dress code but they chose not to. NCL, CCL and Royal understand that is not to their benefit as people that want a fancier experience aren't their target demographic anymore.

Everyone can argue all day long about how they interpret the dress code or what they think is right but in the end it doesn't matter. They enforce other rules so I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to make guests upset. They see the shift and are rolling with it to appease the majority.

Calling people names, telling them they have no class or respect does nothing. It doesn't change anyone's mind. Stop worrying about what strangers are doing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, davekathy said:

If the staff at the entrance to the MDR is cool with those that wear shorts in the MDR in the evening that's all that matters. 

The staff has been taught not to annoy the guests, even if it means ignoring the rules. That means they also ignore chair hogs, saving seats in the theater, taking drinks out of the Diamond lounge, kids running in the hallways, etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

The staff has been taught not to annoy the guests, even if it means ignoring the rules. That means they also ignore chair hogs, saving seats in the theater, taking drinks out of the Diamond lounge, kids running in the hallways, etc.

I don't care why they don't. Not my problem or concern. If these issues bother you, do you speak with someone about them at that time? Was that you staring at use when we were leaving the DL carrying a glass of wine each as the DLC was holding the door open for us. 🙄

Edited by davekathy

27 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

Here's the only thing that matters, the cruise lines could enforce a stricter dress code but they chose not to. NCL, CCL and Royal understand that is not to their benefit as people that want a fancier experience aren't their target demographic anymore.

Why would anyone want a fancy experience tied to Olive garden level food?

I think a lot of what is driving these changes on cruise lines is how the US food industry has changed tremendously in the last 20-30 years.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 3

We’re on Harmony now day 5 and I have yet to see anyone wearing shorts in the MDR. Seems most folks like to put on long slacks for dinner. I think people are making this more of an issue than it really is. Washing your hands seems to be the crew’s main concern before entering the eating areas.

• Like 3

> wondering if very many men wear nice shorts in the MDR for dinner?

Yes, if by "many" you mean a small fraction.

However, you also have to wear a baseball cap turned backwards and have at least one tattoo.

Enjoy your trip.

Ira

• Like 1