So Many Questions...

FutureCruiseAddict

Hi,

I have been reading and reading, trying to learn as much as possible before my first cruise. This forum has been great! My dh and I are going on our first cruise Feb 12, Star Princess, Western Carribean. We have a balcony cabin - A603. We are so excited, but I am just a nervious wreck because I am worried I will not do something right or forget something. I have a few questions that I have not found anywhere else, sorry if they are repeats. First, I have read that the ship carries Coke products, I have read that you can bring your own softdrinks, our soft drink of choice is Dr. Pepper. Is there a limit or do you have to have it in your luggage? Also, my dh and I will be celebrating our anniversary on the 14th. By my records, we will be in Cozumel that day. We were thinking of the balcony dinner or Sabatini's or Sterling. I would like feedback on which is best for this special night. I believe I read that the formal nights are on the "at sea" days, is this correct? One more question for now, I have purchased a engraved small pocket knife for my dh for our anniversary. Will I be able to bring this onboard with us? Sorry if I am rambeling...I am just getting so scatterbrained trying to get everything together...

Thanks,

Vicki

Hi,

First, relax.....

Soda - there really isn't a limit. I usually put a 6 pack in my carry on. You could probably pack a 12 pack or carry a 12 pack on with out any problems. It may be awkward to bring (3) 12 packs on with you through carrty ons but I am sure someone has probably done it.

Formal nights are not always at sea days - it all depends on how the ports fall. I would look at a recent review of the Star Princess or ask with a new posting on the CC board. The last time I did the Western Caribbean, the last formal night was the day we were at Cozumel.

Small pocket knife - I think if it is in your suitcase, you will be fine.

Speciality restaurants - I would look at the menus and decide from there.

Enjoy your first cruise and Happy Anniversary!

We just got back from the Star and our balcony room we very close to the one you will be in.

I strongly encourage you to have the Ulimate Balony dinner. There is nothing like dining on your balcony.

Formal nights were also our sea days.

Enjoy yourselves. Do you have anytime dining? I suggest you visit the capri for dinner, the line are shorter. We loved our dinners in there with Nelson, our server.

Make sure you visit the Promenade a few times. Nothing like a stroll out there to spark some romantic feelings. ;)

Vicki: First of all welcome to Princess and Cruise Critic. I really want to tell you like the rest of the posters said is to relax and enjoy that cruise. I remember on our very first long cruise my DH and I knew absolutely nothing about cruise ships, what deck to stay, I mean we were green as gourds. Knew absolutely nothing. Well now we look back and we both have said many times that first cruise was our best because there was just the mystery of finding out things ourselves without knowing alot ahead of time. Now after a few cruises under our belts I think sometimes we know too much. I truly hope you have a great, great cruise and just enjoy yourself and Happy Anniversary.

Marilyn

Vicki, in the words of the old Bobby McFerrin song: Don't Worry, Be Happy.

You are going on a cruise!!!

I think your questions have beein answered already, but I'll toss in a couple of items anyway.

Take as much soda onboard as you want to carry. Personally I don't bother with it, but then all my available carry-on space is packed with liquor.

Keep the knife (and any other sharp implements like a corkscrew) in your checked luggage until your are in your cabin and you'll be fine.

Formal nights are USUALLY on sea days, but that can vary....as can the ports of call that you actually make.

I am personally a big fan of both Sabatini's and Sterling's....if I was just going to go to one of them it would be Sabatini's. But I've heard that the balcony dinner is also outstanding. But, be sure to check the weather report. Balcony dining during rough seas or rain storms would be.....inconvenient.

But most of all: Have A Great Cruise!

Thank you all that have replied. I know I just need to relax and let whatever happens happen...I am sure once I get there and get a pretty fu-fu drink in my hands I will be fine. I just have a tendency to try to overplan. I started packing today and that has me a little goofier than normal. :rolleyes: I do have to say it was pretty fun trying on and packing summer type clothes today, while here in Ohio, we are probably in the middle of one of the worst snow storms of the winter.

We are pretty sure we are going to do the ultimate balcony dining on our Anniversary night. I was wondering, what would be a fair tip range for the waiters for that dinner (I have read there will be 2) and are they the only people we tip? For the other nights, we have traditional dining, 2nd seating. We are not sure if we are going to like that since we want to attend alot of the shows in the evening and my DH definately wants to participate in the Princess Idol he found out about.

Thanks!

Vicki

First rule of packing - pack and then take out half the clothes you packed (underwear excepted, of course). You can always buy clothes on the trip. And you're not going to the moon, anything you could want, you can buy (it might cost more, but it's not wirth the stress). Only exception is prescribed drugs. Oh, and always pack one suitcase in your carry on, just in case your suitcases are delayed on their way to your stateroom. Another hint, bring along a very (!) lightly packed suitcase for purchases. It's easier unless you plan on buying luggage on the trip.

Princess usually applies a standard 10% tip to your bill and that is divvied up among the cruise personnel - if you want to do more, make sure you get names and then envelopes from the purser's desk on the last day of the cruise (not disembarkation day).

Also, if the dining choice doesn't work for you, you can always change to personalized - you won't be ostracized for it!

Relax, have a great time and don't forget to post that review when you get home. It's a great way to relieve the trip.

Happy Sails!

Charlie

Princess usually applies a standard 10% tip to your bill and that is divvied up among the cruise personnel - if you want to do more, make sure you get names and then envelopes from the purser's desk on the last day of the cruise (not disembarkation day).

This could be a lot depending on the cabin you book!

Here is the real scoop - Princess automatically adds $10 per person per day to your shipboard account for tips. This can be adjusted at the Purser's Office. Though, most of my friends keep this tip on and then provide envelopes to those who have done more - such as waiters and room stewards.

Plus, you pay tips automatically on drinks you buy.

Archived