Pier 91 to Sea-tac

mailmama

We are arriving back after cruise on the Ovation. Need to get to airport by 10:30 am. What time do you recommend getting off ship? Are there taxis readily available? How long, time-wise, is the trip? Suggestions for a private transportation company? There are 5 of us plus luggage. Thanks for all info!

1 hour ago, mailmama said:

We are arriving back after cruise on the Ovation. Need to get to airport by 10:30 am. What time do you recommend getting off ship? Are there taxis readily available? How long, time-wise, is the trip? Suggestions for a private transportation company? There are 5 of us plus luggage. Thanks for all info!

You'll want to get off the ship as early as possible!  Travel time at that hour is during the commuter rush if on a weekday and could take an hour or more.  For 5 people you'll likely need an SUV or a van.  A ride sharing company would be my recommendation.  Hopefully you have TSA PreCheck as the airport security lines are long at your proposed time.

FYI, I live near and frequently use the SeaTac airport so I'm familiar with how to access it.

3 hours ago, mailmama said:

Are there taxis readily available? How long, time-wise, is the trip? Suggestions for a private transportation company? There are 5 of us plus luggage.

I would just jump into an UberXL or Lyft. This is normally a 30 minute drive but you could hit some traffic if its a weekday. 

Like a previous poster, we use the Seatac airport frequently.  We never have a wait at security as we not only have  TSA-pre check, but Clear as well.  Never waited over 5 minutes to get through security with Clear. Clear is the best thing we did for security lines at airports.😊

Our airline changed our flight times. It was 4 pm so that I wouldn't feel rushed!! lol ......Now what is Clear? How can you do a TSA pre-check? We don't fly a lot.....usually drive! Thanks for everyone's info! And luck, would have it, ship comes back on a Friday.....not the weekend!  

14 minutes ago, mailmama said:

Our airline changed our flight times. It was 4 pm so that I wouldn't feel rushed!! lol ......Now what is Clear? How can you do a TSA pre-check? We don't fly a lot.....usually drive! Thanks for everyone's info! And luck, would have it, ship comes back on a Friday.....not the weekend!  

You can Google search for TSA Pre-check and Clear...they are programs to speed you through security, but the come with fees...in the case of Clear, an annual fee. Plus they take some time and effort to apply and complete. Many who don't fly often can't justify them. 

Have you accepted the change in flights? I don't think I would have...they will rebook you for free.

1 hour ago, mailmama said:

10:30am will be challenging to make the flight given that you'll like not be able to disembark until after 7am. 

Like was suggested, Google search TSA Pre-Check and Clear.  TSA Pre-Check is better in my opinion as it gives Global Entry for incoming international flights and cruises arriving at FLL (maybe other ports).  We travel freqently and TSA Pre-check has been invaluable even after paying the fees.  I have observed that Clear seems to be faster in allowing one to skip the regular line, but one still has to go through the regular TSA screening.  TSA Pre-check has a simpler screening procedure.

47 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

10:30am will be challenging to make the flight given that you'll like not be able to disembark until after 7am. 

Like was suggested, Google search TSA Pre-Check and Clear.  TSA Pre-Check is better in my opinion as it gives Global Entry for incoming international flights and cruises arriving at FLL (maybe other ports).  We travel freqently and TSA Pre-check has been invaluable even after paying the fees.  I have observed that Clear seems to be faster in allowing one to skip the regular line, but one still has to go through the regular TSA screening.  TSA Pre-check has a simpler screening procedure.

If one has Clear they also go to the head of the line for pre-check, not just the regular line. In my opinion the Tsa-pre-check line at Seatac has grown longer over the last few years. As I mentioned previously, Clear is the fastest we have experienced at any airport. You mentioned  that Global Entry comes with Tsa-precheck.  Unless it has changed, Global Entry which we also have,  is a separate application and is not part of Tsa pre-check.😊

Global Entry comes with Pre-check, not the other way around. You can, for example, have Pre-Check without Global Entry.

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

TSA Pre-Check is better in my opinion as it gives Global Entry for incoming international flights and cruises arriving at FLL (maybe other ports).  We travel freqently and TSA Pre-check has been invaluable even after paying the fees.  I have observed that Clear seems to be faster in allowing one to skip the regular line, but one still has to go through the regular TSA screening.  TSA Pre-check has a simpler screening procedure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I found then read this thread via the search feature. I'm hoping people here can help.

We will arrive at SEA around 9am on a Tuesday and need to get to Pier 91. We will disembark on a Saturday morning and need to get back to SEA. 

Taxi, Ride app, light rail, shuttle service? What makes sense, please? We've only been outside of the airport in Seattle on RV trips in the past.

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I found then read this thread via the search feature. I'm hoping people here can help.

We will arrive at SEA around 9am on a Tuesday and need to get to Pier 91. We will disembark on a Saturday morning and need to get back to SEA. 

Taxi, Ride app, light rail, shuttle service? What makes sense, please? We've only been outside of the airport in Seattle on RV trips in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Is there a timing issue for a flight?

Taxi is probably the easiest...discussed here frequently. For 2019, it was a flat rate...I think $47. Or, for the airport to port ride, I would consider the STILA towncar based at the airport.  Highly efficient service.

• Thanks 1

Generally the least expensive lodging area is near the airport, but there's little to see there.  The key tourist things I recommend are in no particular order:

1.  Museum of flight

2. Glass museum & Pacific Science Center at Seattle Center

3. Pop culture museum at Seattle Center

4. pike Place Market

i'd recommend Uber to get to the cruise terminal and #1 item above.  Items 2-4 can be visited using light rail and monorail.

With a car, I'd expand the list.

Tim

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, @CruiserBruce and @Btimmer! If we don't have any delays, we should have a few hours between landing and boarding. Perhaps we will take the light rail to the Science center, then a cab or Lyft/Uber to the pier.

Our departing flight after the cruise is at 11:25. I think with Pre-Check, we should be just fine on a Saturday if we disembark nice and early.

I appreciate the help! We've done the Sky Train in YVR multiple times and I'm so used to it, that I forgot to research airport to port in SEA before booking the cruise. Oops!

If you are arriving and embarking on the same day, I'd boogey right to the boat and not do any touristy things.  You really don't want to be moving around the Seattle Center with luggage in tow.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, mailmama said:

Contact your airline and tell them that the change won't work. They wil have to make accommodations with that much of a change.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, mailmama said:

In order to use either Clear or TSA PreCheck, you have to apply for them and that process may take longer than flying this summer.  Clear seems to be a faster process.  Without either, it'll just mean a longer wait in the security line at the airport.

Regarding TSA Pre-Check (and Global Entry), some credit cards offer reimbursement for the fee. These are usually the "higher end" types of cards that carry fees themselves, but those fees are quickly offset by the benefits if you travel and/or spend a lot.

4 hours ago, zwallace said:

Our flight is at 12:30 going home.  So if we get to the airport by 10:30 a.m., will we be okay?

Unless you plan to be the very last person off the ship, you will most likely be at SeaTac before 10:30 AM.  While SeaTac is very busy during the summer months, you should not have any difficulties making a 12:30 pm flight.

12 hours ago, zwallace said:

Our flight is at 12:30 going home.  So if we get to the airport by 10:30 a.m., will we be okay?

You will be fine...and yes, you most likely will be there before 10:30. As commonly discussed here, flights before 11:30 might be an issue if you don't act efficiently. 12:30 isn't a problem. 

If our cruise is arriving into Pier 91 at 7am - what time should I book a car service for to get to the airport?  I don't want to book it too soon and then have the driver waiting, but I don't want to book it too late either and have us standing around.  Thanks.

There is no place for the town car to just wait for you outside the terminal.  The traffic control staff will shoo  any vehicle that is not actively picking up/loading a passenger.  The town cars are usually waiting in the cell phone lot awaiting their passenger's call.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher