Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Petoonya

Dumb question-please be gentle! If price drops considerably after final will NCL consider upgrade like some lines do?

Recommended Posts

Pretty sure I have the answer stuffed in the cobwebs of my head- but just to be sure.

 

We've sailed on Celebrity and Oceania when after final, price went down a lot, like $1000. Both cruise lines considered (and only considered) an upgrade. The cruises were selling only moderately, and after a few days we were bumped up a category to the cabin of our choice.

I'm betting that's not even a possibility with NCL.

Am I right?

Thanks!!! 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Pretty sure I have the answer stuffed in the cobwebs of my head- but just to be sure.

 

We've sailed on Celebrity and Oceania when after final, price went down a lot, like $1000. Both cruise lines considered (and only considered) an upgrade. The cruises were selling only moderately, and after a few days we were bumped up a category to the cabin of our choice.

I'm betting that's not even a possibility with NCL.

Am I right?

Thanks!!! 🙂 

 

You'd lose that bet.

 

We've gotten free upgrades when our prices dropped a couple of times.  Last cruise we chose a free upgrade over an amount equal to 25% of the price difference in OBC.

 

They don't have to offer ANYTHING, but they can and do offer upgrades or OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the person above mentioned, you could possibly get an upgrade (if available) or a 25% OBC.

Never hurts to call and ask. If you have booked with a TA, you need to contact them...otherwise, call NCL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DinaS said:

 

You'd lose that bet.

 

We've gotten free upgrades when our prices dropped a couple of times.  Last cruise we chose a free upgrade over an amount equal to 25% of the price difference in OBC.

 

They don't have to offer ANYTHING, but they can and do offer upgrades or OBC.

 

14 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

As the person above mentioned, you could possibly get an upgrade (if available) or a 25% OBC.

Never hurts to call and ask. If you have booked with a TA, you need to contact them...otherwise, call NCL!

Wow- well that's encouraging! As I said I realize the cruise lines are not obligated to consider giving you a dime. Just needed to know if it's worth asking for.

Thanks a lot. I'll ask!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

 

Wow- well that's encouraging! As I said I realize the cruise lines are not obligated to consider giving you a dime. Just needed to know if it's worth asking for.

Thanks a lot. I'll ask!

 

Just be aware that the OBC offer is definitely a one-time only deal. If the prices drop again they won't offer more OBC. There's varying reports on if you can upgrade more than once. Some have been turned down but I think I've seen a few that were able to get more than one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

 

Just be aware that the OBC offer is definitely a one-time only deal. If the prices drop again they won't offer more OBC. There's varying reports on if you can upgrade more than once. Some have been turned down but I think I've seen a few that were able to get more than one. 

Thanks- I'm aware of that piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so nice. My son paid almost 10K and I paid 5K. NCL says they will consider since the price came down so much. I'll post when and if we get a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a dumb question to ask on this forum - and just a fyi - you will get multiple answers here and you will get multiple answers if you call NCL.

I've kinda covered multiple situations. 

Upgrade #1: I called and paid the price difference to upgrade from inside to OV.  Prices went down, so I called again to upgrade to balcony (didn't think that would be an issue).  It was - they said no and I said WHAT???  I'm offering you money.  They got a supervisor to approve my upgrade, which was half of what I was currently bidding for the same upgrade.

Upgrade #2: Prices went down significantly and I asked for an upgrade to a mini-suite that was showing as available.  Had a TA, so I told her the cabin # I wanted and they gave it to me, no extra charge.

 

I've never asked for money back or OBC after final payment but I'm sure others will chime in on that.

Edited by julig22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Pretty sure I have the answer stuffed in the cobwebs of my head- but just to be sure.

 

We've sailed on Celebrity and Oceania when after final, price went down a lot, like $1000. Both cruise lines considered (and only considered) an upgrade. The cruises were selling only moderately, and after a few days we were bumped up a category to the cabin of our choice.

I'm betting that's not even a possibility with NCL.

Am I right?

Thanks!!! 🙂 

WE have always gotten upgraded, but if not, we have gotten onboard credit, however, on NCL is getting more and more difficult to do this. On our last cruise we booked an inside stateroom and after final payment the Ocean view stateroom was at least 200 dollars cheaper than what we paid for our inside. We talked to our travel agent and she upgraded us to the ocean view, glad she did, it was a larger stateroom, quieter area.

Edited by spanishguy1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

WE have always gotten upgraded, but if not, we have gotten onboard credit, however, on NCL is getting more and more difficult to do this. On our last cruise we booked an inside stateroom and after final payment the Ocean view stateroom was at least 200 dollars cheaper than what we paid for our inside. We talked to our travel agent and she upgraded us to the ocean view, glad she did, it was a larger stateroom, quieter area.

Thanks very much. I'll be pleased with whatever they decide to throw in- whatever.

I think I have all my questions answered everybody! I'm good now. 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on our upcoming cruise I found that our cabin dropped about 2k/person after final payment. NCL offered us a free upgrade on this cruise or 50% of the difference in Future Cruise Certs. We took the FCC and booked our next cruise for 2021!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We upgraded from a mini-suite to a Haven Penthouse Suite on the Getaway well after final payment for less than $800 total after a massive price drop for those cabins.  Since it was a direct upgrade, we also received all of the "perks" offered with the Haven cabin, whereas we had only received the beverage and dining packages with our mini-suite.  We also received additional non-refundable OBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically they will make you a one-time offer of a free upgrade, an upgrade where you just pay the difference between what you originally paid and the price for the upgraded cabin, 25% of the difference in OBC, or 50% of the difference in future cruise credit. I have taken the OBC once (was only like $50, but still nice) and I took the future cruise credit once, because I already had an upcoming cruise booked and knew I could just apply it to that, which I did.

 

For me, I haven't ever been interested in the upgrades, because I always book an angled balcony and an "upgrade" to a mini-suite with a smaller balcony has zero appeal. I was also once offered an upgrade to a mini-suite with large balcony on the Bliss, and I was not interested in the complete lack of privacy those balconies afford you. So OBC or future cruise credit worked for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Mini Suite and noticed that the Concierge Villa was $2 more.  I paid the difference - they had offered an OBC but I preferred just paying the difference since I preferred the new room and perks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok question... so just to clarify... I have an upcoming cruise in less than 2 weeks. I'm booked in a balcony room. I do not want an upgrade as I am booked with a large group and want to stay together.  Balcony rooms ( same perks as when booked) price went from 1199 to 846 pp. If I call the NCL agent we have been dealing with... do you think I could get any OBC for the difference?

 

Also, if you think it's worth calling... how in the world would I phase asking for just obc and not an upgrade?? I hate asking for extras so want true thoughts on this if you think they might say yes lol. Thanks all!!!

Edited by kayjay76
forgot something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kayjay76 said:

Ok question... so just to clarify... I have an upcoming cruise in less than 2 weeks. I'm booked in a balcony room. I do not want an upgrade as I am booked with a large group and want to stay together.  Balcony rooms ( same perks as when booked) price went from 1199 to 846 pp. If I call the NCL agent we have been dealing with... do you think I could get any OBC for the difference?

 

Also, if you think it's worth calling... how in the world would I phase asking for just obc and not an upgrade?? I hate asking for extras so want true thoughts on this if you think they might say yes lol. Thanks all!!!

Never hurts to ask - you might get 25% OBC for the difference (about $88), assuming that the prices you've quoted are apples to apples (same balcony category).  Just state that since the price has gone down you want a rebate if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after reading this question, and noticing a substantial price reduction on my upcoming cruise,  I called and inquired.
I was offered either an upgrade, or OBC
Since it is just the two of us, I didn't take the upgrade, I took the OBC, which was about 25% of the difference in fare.
Since I was happy with what I paid, and my cabin, before...I'm very happy now!
It will pay for shore excursions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BK512 said:

Well, after reading this question, and noticing a substantial price reduction on my upcoming cruise,  I called and inquired.
I was offered either an upgrade, or OBC
Since it is just the two of us, I didn't take the upgrade, I took the OBC, which was about 25% of the difference in fare.
Since I was happy with what I paid, and my cabin, before...I'm very happy now!
It will pay for shore excursions!

That's great!! What exactly did you ask when you called?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I have called after price drops, I have just called my PCC and said something like "the price for my cabin had gone done $X.... is there anything you can do for me?" The person you talk to won't be the person who decides what to offer you. They will put you on hold and call a different department and then come back telling you what the offer is. You will probably be offered a choice to upgrade, take OBC, or take future cruise credit. You could tell them right off the bat you aren't interested in an upgrade if you want, but I don't think there is any harm in at least hearing what they are offering you in that regard. Just turn down the upgrade option and take the OBC. Should be 25% of the price difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told that it is up to NCL to decide if you are given an upgrade or the 25% obc. My sailing was sold out in the category above me, so I received $165 in obc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the OP and my son in the Haven got a nice upgrade and another $800 OBC. Said he has no idea what he'll do with with $1600 now. I also got an upgrade and $400 OBC making $650 OBC. I have lots of ideas for what his wife and I can do together with it!

Thanks to you all for encouraging me to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I'm the OP and my son in the Haven got a nice upgrade and another $800 OBC. Said he has no idea what he'll do with with $1600 now. I also got an upgrade and $400 OBC making $650 OBC. I have lots of ideas for what his wife and I can do together with it!

Thanks to you all for encouraging me to ask.

You do know you can cash out non-refundable credit at the casino for a 3% fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hamrag said:

You do know you can cash out non-refundable credit at the casino for a 3% fee?

No I had no idea! Thanks very much. Prefer to have the cash than a bunch of stuff I really didn't want.

Edited by Petoonya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please tell us how it went!!

15 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

No I had no idea! Thanks very much. Prefer to have the cash than a bunch of stuff I really didn't want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kayjay76 said:

That's great!! What exactly did you ask when you called?

I called and said I noticed the price drop, and what could they do for  me?
Then he offered an upgrade or OBC.

The upgrade would have been to a mini suite, which would have been great, but not necessary for just 2 people, IMO.
The OBC is a great perk! 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...