Recommended travel insurance

highmark55

Hi All,

We have a cruise booked and will be flying ourselves (not through NCL) for a 1 week stay before the cruise. I am researching travel insurance right now, it will need to be for both trip cancellation/interruption and medical coverage. 

Can anyone recommend a good company ? Anyone have a positive experience they could share ?

Thanks 

Jan

10 minutes ago, highmark55 said:

Hi All,

We have a cruise booked and will be flying ourselves (not through NCL) for a 1 week stay before the cruise. I am researching travel insurance right now, it will need to be for both trip cancellation/interruption and medical coverage. 

Can anyone recommend a good company ? Anyone have a positive experience they could share ?

Thanks 

Jan

Contact insuremytrip.com and they will help you with your specific needs.  We've used them a lot and are happy with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

Contact insuremytrip.com and they will help you with your specific needs.  We've used them a lot and are happy with them.

Lance gives good advice.

I've used InsureMyTrip for virtually every cruise I've taken.  It's one of those clearinghouse type websites;  you fill in your trip and passenger data, they give you a whole list of companies and actual quotes for their policies.  The website is really user friendly, and although I've never had to collect on an insurance policy, thank the gods and monsters, I've always come away feeling like I did my due diligence and got the best policy at the best price.

1 hour ago, MotownVoice said:

Lance gives good advice.

I've used InsureMyTrip for virtually every cruise I've taken.  It's one of those clearinghouse type websites;  you fill in your trip and passenger data, they give you a whole list of companies and actual quotes for their policies.  The website is really user friendly, and although I've never had to collect on an insurance policy, thank the gods and monsters, I've always come away feeling like I did my due diligence and got the best policy at the best price.

We had to collect once, and would never cruise without it.  

• Like 2

It also pays to check with your credit card and current medical policy to see what might already be covered.  "Travel cards" will cover expenses from interruptions and delays.  Your medical might already be covered.  Be advised that when you apply for coverage often determines what a policy will cover - you usually have to get the insurance as soon as you put down any deposits if you want coverage for pre-existing conditions for example.  So you might only need to cover things like medical evacuation for example if other things are covered elsewhere.

The thing most people does not think about on having insurance is it is not always the travelers that gets sick.  We recently had to cancel 3 days before our cruise.  We had the NCL insurance. My grown son had a serious medical event (he was NOT traveling with us) wasn’t i shocked when i was told that was covered. Once i submitted the claim i had the checks in the mail almost immediately.

when flights are involved you need that coverage also.

I have read about problems with some travel insurance companies, including one recommended by insuremytrip.  We have always used Allianz through our various travel agents – and I couldn't find Allianz when I searched on insuremytrip.  The Allianz  'Journey' plan provides pre-existing medical coverage even if you only take out the policy at the time of final payment.  [Instead, we start off with coverage for the non-refundable cruise deposit, increase for airfare, and then increase to the full amount at final payment – it doesn't cost any more and give you continuing coverage of all possible losses from day 1.]  We did have to cancel a trip for medical reasons, and Allianz refunded everything with no hassle.

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have read about problems with some travel insurance companies, including one recommended by insuremytrip.  We have always used Allianz through our various travel agents – and I couldn't find Allianz when I searched on insuremytrip.  The Allianz  'Journey' plan provides pre-existing medical coverage even if you only take out the policy at the time of final payment.  [Instead, we start off with coverage for the non-refundable cruise deposit, increase for airfare, and then increase to the full amount at final payment – it doesn't cost any more and give you continuing coverage of all possible losses from day 1.]  We did have to cancel a trip for medical reasons, and Allianz refunded everything with no hassle.

Allianz always comes up on my insuremytrip searches.  If it didn't for you, it might have been due to an itinerary or a package they weren't covering at that time, or that it was too long after your first payment for them to underwrite you.  But insuremytrip certainly isn't failing to include Allianz in search results in general.