Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

Live: Crossing the Pacific, Los Angeles – Papeete – Auckland on Crystal Serenity from 22 January – 19 February 2020

Terry, no worries.  We know you will catch up later.  The most important thing is that you enjoy each day and savor every minute. Social media can wait.

Not so fast!! I thought there was nothing more important these days than social media and keeping followers up to date. I am sure I speak for hundreds of disappointed Stickman readers when I say that we are aghast at the need to dig so deep into our reservoirs of patience! And as one who has been on the receiving end of Terry's demands for up to date, comprehensive reporting I for one demand that Terry just stops enjoying himself quite so much and gives US his time!

But there again if my compassionate, understanding side is allowed to cut in perhaps I too should moderate my expectations. Terry (probably?!) deserves a proper holiday and a break from the need to have CC at the centre of consciousness. So, Terry, when you next check in - relax, switch off and continue to enjoy what sounds and looks like a wonderful experience. Tell us all about it sometime later. We'll still be here.

(and in the meantime thank you to Roy and Keith, in particular, for keeping us up to date with their perspectives and experiences)

Adrian

Thanks Adrian - I think you’re right 

It’s the speed to load images on CC that is the killer - there’s no shortage of photos and great tales to share - and not even a shortage of time to do it 

I have to load large image versions as it if I use the feature on my i device to lower the resolution it auto rotated the image so it’s sideways and I can be bothered messing around to work out a solution to that 

I would hate to give readers a crick in their necks reading the blog and viewing the images 

I, and Keith are posting regularly on the Crystal Society FB pages - it takes no time for me to load the same images in there (don’t mention video clips through) - so I can multi task and post updates there quickly while around the ship 

I walk around the ship and access the wifi continually during the day - the coverage everywhere is great and I’m yet to find dead spots or handoff failure

When we talk about internet access issues it’s not the intranet that is the issue it’s the gateway, link or internet bandwidth that is the issue in my view 

I have decided not to try offering a tutorial on how to post photos to CC - largely because i know full well there is nothing on that subject I can offer Stickman that he doesn't already know.

Which leaves me having to admit that I am one of those remaining Luddites who have still not submitted to the grip of Facebook.

(yes, I know 'my loss' etc etc....🤔)

Adrian

Isn’t it funny that only a few years back posting one or two photos on the forums was “wow” - now it’s hard to imagine a live from thread that doesn’t utilise photos to illustrate the experience 

I really agree that a picture is worth a thousand words 

23 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

It’s the speed to load images on CC that is the killer - there’s no shortage of photos and great tales to share - and not even a shortage of time to do it 

I, and Keith are posting regularly on the Crystal Society FB pages - it takes no time for me to load the same images in there (don’t mention video clips through) - so I can multi task and post updates there quickly while around the ship 

Terry, thanks for your report,

So if you can upload images to FB with no problems, but the very same images do not load well to CC, then apparently the problem is with CC and not ship internet????😕

Continue to enjoy!

Bob

6 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Reflections and menus 1 Feb

Terry, I’m getting an error from AWS when I try to open the Feb 1 lunch menu.  The other two opened fine.  Thanks for sharing these, I love reading the menus (from everyone that’s posted them recently from across the fleet).

Vince

I’m afraid a rainy day in Bora Bora curtailed our planned swimming with sharks and rays and beach picnic so we hired a van and took a 2 hour tour of the island 

We had fun visiting beaches and local attractions - and of course a bar 
There were a lot of people touring from the 3 cruise ships 

We returned to the ship and had lunch at the Trident Grill followed by a relaxing afternoon

I popped into our friend John George’s last magic show of the cruise and he continues to wow his audiences 

Then we went to the show by Ashley Carruthers an Australian pianist and comedian - he was excellent. I’d seen him before but had forgotten that but once he started performing I remembered his energy and talent 

Then it was off to Churrascaria with friends where we enjoyed salads and the various meats on offer 

The good news is we have been able to reschedule our boat trip to today, weather permitting, so hopefully we will get out and about and experience more of what Bora Bora has to offer

Interestingly I recall a recent thread about how people wished Crystal would do more things outside around the pool - well last night Crystal had planned a big party on deck - but they had to cancel it due to the weather here in Bora Bora

I was talking to Rick Spath last night and he was excited about what they’d planned - and hopes to reschedule it on the next leg

I just wanted to mention this as it tied back to an interest from some on doing things around the pool

The internet connection is on fire today - so I’ll try and get some more photos uploaded Later on but it’s a busy day with touring - I hope!

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I was talking to Rick Spath last night and he was excited about what they’d planned - and hopes to reschedule it on the next leg

I am excited to see what it is like as we have made many comments about having a deck party by the pool. See you in a few days...

3 hours ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

I am excited to see what it is like as we have made many comments about having a deck party by the pool. See you in a few days...

See you soon - I believe they really do want to have events around the pool but there are some issues to work around 

10 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Interestingly I recall a recent thread about how people wished Crystal would do more things outside around the pool - well last night Crystal had planned a big party on deck - but they had to cancel it due to the weather here in Bora Bora

I just wanted to mention this as it tied back to an interest from some on doing things around the pool

Like caviar around the pool with Ross?  😀

I doubt it - this is more theme parties at night on deck 

Seabourn seem to have put a bet on always available entry level Caviar whereas quality entertainment and food are where Crystal invest. For example I can’t think of anything we experienced on Seabourn that would parallel the ensemble shows on Crystal or the themed White Night 

That would not surprise me and I would be disappointed if that was not the case, as Crystal ships theatres would have to be twice the size as Seabourn due to the numbers of passengers so able to have more room for larger stages for props, actors etc . Some of the larger cruise ships, 2500 or more passengers, we have been on have had really big production  shows due to their size and space

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Seabourn seem to have put a bet on always available entry level Caviar whereas quality entertainment and food are where Crystal invest. For example I can’t think of anything we experienced on Seabourn that would parallel the ensemble shows on Crystal or the themed White Night 

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I agree Terry that Seabourn didn’t have something as big as white night but on our cruise there were several by the pool events. We had a classical concert / party; the crew farewell party/ the outdoor country fair/ caviar in the pool and later on the beach with a big seafood bbq were all impressive events. Azamara does an outdoor white party that was very impressive.

15 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

As you know Azamara is big on doing a deck party every cruise. Once in a while it gets moved inside due to rain. They even moved the decorations inside. They even done their White Night party with guests in windbreakers as people just want to be outside.

until this ship I never did  a ship party inside or a Crossing party inside.

been enjoying your pictures on Facebook. 

An outdoor party while the sun is setting in Bora Bora is always fabulous. 

Hope Churrascaria has a lovely candlelit dinner  on the Bora Bora night...weather permitting.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:24 AM, Stickman1990 said:

I popped into our friend John George’s last magic show of the cruise and he continues to wow his audiences 

Are they still issuing tickets to limit the size of the audience for the magic shows?  Or are they open for anyone to attend whenever they want?