Can We Share Luggage Allowance on Emirates?

tring

We are off early next week, travelling from Manchester to Sri Lanka, then back from Dubai and want to take three cases between us, but rang Emirates and told luggage allowance cannot be shared, so two of our cases would have to total less then our pp allowance of 30kgs.  We feel certain we have taken three bigger cases previously, but I know some changes came in last year (I think February), so can anyone tell us what has happened more recently regards any possibility of combining luggage allowance?

We are trying to get the weight down, but are away for 5 weeks including tour, land stays and cruise.

Edited by tring

Each passenger is allowed a certain number of checked bags and weight per ticket.  Business class is allowed two carry-ons.  

You can only share weight between bags  without exceeding the maximum bags per passenger.

If you are a ‘family’ travelling together then I don’t see it being an issue.  I’ve been travelling with Emirates since they first took to the skies and have never seen them segregate individual family members luggage.  When I travelled with my sons we just handed over three tickets, put all the luggage on the belt together and provided we weren’t over the combined weight limit they were all checked in and went down the conveyor together...  The changes last year were in baggage weight limits for different Economy Class fare categories.  Whereas previously all Economy fares received 30kgs, only the flex fares receive that limit now with the Saver fares getting a lower limit (I think 25kgs).... If they checked in all family member’s luggage piece by piece by ticket-holder we’d all be at check-in for hours!!!!   The only restriction I have ever come across is no individual piece should exceed 28kgs.....

With regard to Skoobdo’s comment above, I think he is referring to flights to/from the US which is by pieces allowed per person as opposed to actual weight limits but US flights are an exception in that regard....

Anne...

6 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

...With regard to Skoobdo’s comment above, I think he is referring to flights to/from the US which is by pieces allowed per person as opposed to actual weight limits but US flights are an exception in that regard....

Anne...

You're right, and unfortunately Emirates over looks their own policies depending on the city they're flying out of.  For example, I usually fly out of LAX and they actually allow one carry-on and a personal item, even though I only take one piece because I try to follow the policy. But, it's really ridiculous seeing folks with a roller board and a full size backpack in economy, and the gate agents say nothing.  And other cities that wouldn't be permitted.  And they definitely aren't checking weight at the gate. I just wish their policies were standard for all airports.  But, oh well.

Thank you both for the replies - looks like we should be OK, but will try to get two cases down to 30kgs, to be sure.  Will give feedback on return.

Jayayeff, we booked our flights about the time the changes came in, but decided to book with the agent who is doing a tour/stay for us in Sri Lanka as we got an add on price to our package for less than a saver fare, yet still get 30kgs pp, because that is what they have contracted with the airline.  You are right about the new allowances, with two other economy fare groups (special is 15kgs,  and flex plus is 35 kgs).

Edited by tring

• 3 weeks later...

We're flying Emirates Rome-Dubai-Singapore next week in business class.  My tickets for each person allow for two carry-ons not to exceed 7 kg each, and two checked bags with a combined weight of 40 kg, neither of which can weigh more than 32 kg.  Thus our checked baggage could be one suitcase weighing 30 kg and the other no more than 10 kg = 40 kg total.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for feedback.  We are now home, having spent 6 weeks away flying out to Sri Lanka and back from Dubai with Emirates.  We had no problem sharing luggage allowance on either flight.  We took 3 cases between us with a total of 50 kgs total in fairly evenly weight cases for the hold.   

Edited by tring

On 2/26/2020 at 4:32 PM, tring said:

Just for feedback.  We are now home, having spent 6 weeks away flying out to Sri Lanka and back from Dubai with Emirates.  We had no problem sharing luggage allowance on either flight.  We took 3 cases between us with a total of 50 kgs total in fairly evenly weight cases for the hold.   

good to hear however, I would have been very, very, very surprised if it had been otherwise!!! 😀😀

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff
  • Like 1