Unlimited Dining Package - "How to" guide

I'm looking for basic steps / advice for the Unlimited Dining Package. For example, should I be making MDR reservations as a backup even if I don't intend on ever going to the MDR for dinner? Should I (can I?) get dining reservations for the entire cruise as soon as I board? Do I have to plan lunch, too?

2 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I'm looking for basic steps / advice for the Unlimited Dining Package. For example, should I be making MDR reservations as a backup even if I don't intend on ever going to the MDR for dinner? Should I (can I?) get dining reservations for the entire cruise as soon as I board? Do I have to plan lunch, too?

no you do not make reservations anywhere else.  one the MDR is either traditional seating or MTD, where no ressies are even needed.   however, you should  schedule yourself for MTD and leave  traditional early /Late seating  out so that the staff know you won't be around and keep the table waiting for you.   plus it frees them up to assist other diners who would prefer either option..

if you want  specific restaurants and times then yes you should make reservations ( at any of the  venues)  on the first day.  if you are flexible about either, then you can   do so one at time on the day of.  

IIRC lunch is suggested to make reservations but not necessarily a must do.  

9 minutes ago, spookwife said:

one the MDR is either traditional seating or MTD, where no ressies are even needed.

I remember on my last cruise that I had to pick one or the other, but both options required a time. The difference was one was an assigned table and the other was not.

On our last cruise, we made all of our reservations for dinner when boarding the ship. There was no issue with getting any time/restaurant combo we wanted. They told us lunch reservations are not necessary. However, we tried to grab lunch on one of the sea days in Jamie's (this was on Harmony) and the attendant told us to come back later (30-45 minutes) because they were full up (even though there were many, many tables not being used). Needless to say, if we ever do the UDP again, I will insist on making lunch reservations for sea days from the start, regardless of what they say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RCFirstTimer said:

On our last cruise, we made all of our reservations for dinner when boarding the ship. There was no issue with getting any time/restaurant combo we wanted. They told us lunch reservations are not necessary. However, we tried to grab lunch on one of the sea days in Jamie's (this was on Harmony) and the attendant told us to come back later (30-45 minutes) because they were full up (even though there were many, many tables not being used). Needless to say, if we ever do the UDP again, I will insist on making lunch reservations for sea days from the start, regardless of what they say.

Thank you for this. I suspect places like "Playmakers" and "Johnny Rockets" will not be an issue, but the sit-down locations might require a little planning.

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

My tip is- write down your desired schedule before you book.  It helped me keep everything straight 🙂. Also, sometimes the reservations in the planner didn’t show, so I referred back to my sheet of paper 🙂

I second this.  I look at the time we are in port until and when the shows I want to see start and play 2 hrs for dinner.  Specialty restaurants tend to be very slow!!!

we will be on the Harmony in March and are buying this package for the first time 

my husband wanted it because after shows there is never anything to eat other then paying or pizza 

so if we wanted to just show up at sabers or Johnny rockets to grab something small we should be able to do that?

are there any other small places like those to grab something maybe Vintages is that on Harmony

4 minutes ago, ourfamilylovescruising said:

we will be on the Harmony in March and are buying this package for the first time 

my husband wanted it because after shows there is never anything to eat other then paying or pizza 

so if we wanted to just show up at sabers or Johnny rockets to grab something small we should be able to do that?

are there any other small places like those to grab something maybe Vintages is that on Harmony

The UDP can’t be used at Vintages 

It can be used at Sabor and JR

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 hours ago, ourfamilylovescruising said:

I would not use UDP for after-show eats.  UDP is not unlimited dining, meaning you can't visit more than one specialty restaurant per night.  You could go to MDR and a specialty, but it would be a waste to use UDP at JR vs just paying as you go (SeaPass charge).

3 minutes ago, osu_buckeye said:

... UDP is not unlimited dining, meaning you can't visit more than one specialty restaurant per night. ...

I thought when they changed the name from Ultimate to Unlimited, they allowed multiple specialty restaurants in one evening.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I thought when they changed the name from Ultimate to Unlimited, they allowed multiple specialty restaurants in one evening.

As usual, Host Clarea is correct!  I just spoke to RCCL.  The program changed from "Ulimate" to "Unlimited" in April 2019 - which was after my last cruise in Feb 2019.

However, to the original question, so you could use UDP for after-show eats, but it will typically be limited to JR and Sabor, as the other Specialties close at 9pm.  But since it's unlimited, maybe you have an early dinner @ Chops, see a show, then finish with tacos and guac at Sabor.  Happy eating.

1 hour ago, osu_buckeye said:

I would not use UDP for after-show eats.  UDP is not unlimited dining, meaning you can't visit more than one specialty restaurant per night.  You could go to MDR and a specialty, but it would be a waste to use UDP at JR vs just paying as you go (SeaPass charge).

Edit just saw you replied 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

40 minutes ago, osu_buckeye said:

As usual, Host Clarea is correct!  I just spoke to RCCL.  The program changed from "Ulimate" to "Unlimited" in April 2019 - which was after my last cruise in Feb 2019.

However, to the original question, so you could use UDP for after-show eats, but it will typically be limited to JR and Sabor, as the other Specialties close at 9pm.  But since it's unlimited, maybe you have an early dinner @ Chops, see a show, then finish with tacos and guac at Sabor.  Happy eating.

Oasis now has Playmakers and Portside BBQ..both great.  Hopefully Harmony will get those in another year. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, ourfamilylovescruising said:

thank you that is what I was hoping for 

has anyone ever just walk in and got sushi or do you need reservation for that

We walked in at lunch and got a to go order.  Told it would be ready in 20 minutes.  We left and came back and picked it up.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

This is my first cruise on RCCL (Symphony Of The Seas) and I am a little confused about the reservations regarding the Unlimited Dining Package.  Mom and I did specify for the first day a time we would like and I know we find out when we get on the ship which Specialty Dining venue it would be for that first day.  It also says that all additional reservations must be made once onboard at any Specialty Dining restaurant.

My question is that when I am on Cruise Planner it says that I may reserve Days 2-7 for Specialty Dining??? If I do that it shows the regular costs for Specialty Dining.  This is where I am getting confused.  I may or may not reserve Specialty Dining prior to sailing when on the Unlimited Dining Package???

23 minutes ago, traveltechpro said:

This is my first cruise on RCCL (Symphony Of The Seas) and I am a little confused about the reservations regarding the Unlimited Dining Package.  Mom and I did specify for the first day a time we would like and I know we find out when we get on the ship which Specialty Dining venue it would be for that first day.  It also says that all additional reservations must be made once onboard at any Specialty Dining restaurant.

My question is that when I am on Cruise Planner it says that I may reserve Days 2-7 for Specialty Dining??? If I do that it shows the regular costs for Specialty Dining.  This is where I am getting confused.  I may or may not reserve Specialty Dining prior to sailing when on the Unlimited Dining Package???

With the package you have to wait to book until you are on board.  

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

With the package you have to wait to book until you are on board.  

Unless you are in a full suite....in which case, the Suites concierge can make your specialty dining reservations for you prior to boarding.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OSUbuckeye said:

I do not know how, but someone is using my cruise critic nickname on this thread.  I guess I will make a new account,  but I am not responsible for these comments.  I,hope they do not have other personal information about me!

Change your password ASAP.