Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
KKB

Rome on June 2

We will be in port 7AM-8PM.

I understand this is a national holiday.

We are comfortable touring on our own at most ports; we likely want to see the most popular sights as it is our first trip to Rome.

We can do a 9 hour tour for around $100pp (there are 3 of us) which seems a bit much.

The question is, with the extra crowds, are we better off to bite the bullet & get a tour to maximize our day?

Therevare tours with the Vatican & without--what do you recommend?

Thanks!

$100pp for a 9 hour tour is NOT expensive. Not even close. Not sure why you would think it is.

To use your time most efficiently, I would do a private tour with a recommended vendor, like Rome in Limo.

The main impact of the June 2 holiday (the "Festival of the Republic") is the large parade that takes place in the center of the historic area. It attracts a lot of people and it will definitely impact your ability to get around in the area of the Forum and Colosseum. They block off a large surrounding area to traffic and public transportation stops running in the area from around 9am until the parade is over (can't remember exactly but around 1-2 pm).

I literally could not get from the Pantheon area to the Palatine Hill area during this parade a couple of years ago, the crush of people was too much throughout any direct or even semi-direct approach.

If you are unfamiliar with getting around Rome and have limited time to sightsee, I think a guide would be a good investment on a day like this as they could figure out the best itinerary to avoid the crowds and still see as much as possible. 

If you have your heart set on getting inside the Colosseum, you probably would have to do it at the end of the day unless you could get to Rome very early before the crowds gather.  The Vatican seems like a good idea on this day -- it would be out of the way of the crowds. (That's not to say it won't still be crowded; you should purchase a timed ticket in advance on the advice of your guide regarding the time.)

I think we will book Vatican tickets in AM & plan to tour all that is there in AM. Colosseum & Parthenon r the 2 things I want to see most in the city. Looks feasible.

Hmmmm....with more research, I am thinking there are 3 major focuses:

--Vatican

--ancient exhibits

--museums

To get all 3 in would be daunting, especially on a busy holiday.

Thinking of focusing on the latter 2. 

Would the National Museum & Borghese Gallery be in neighborhoods to avoid the holiday parade?

Edited by KKB

50 minutes ago, KKB said:

Hmmmm....with more research, I am thinking there are 3 major focuses:

--Vatican

--ancient exhibits

--museums

To get all 3 in would be daunting, especially on a busy holiday.

Thinking of focusing on the latter 2. 

Would the National Museum & Borghese Gallery be in neighborhoods to avoid the holiday parade?

Keep in mind that getting from the port to Rome proper will take longer than an hour, whether by train or car. I have often recommended to people that a 3-day stay in Rome is needed: one day for the Vatican and associated sites, one day for "ancient Rome" and one for sites like the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, possibly a museum.

Private tour guides also have been advising (in recent years when crowds have steadily increased) that an inside visit to both the Colosseum and the Vatican may not be possible in a single port day. 

So do keep your expectations reasonable.

The Museo Nazionale of Rome has several branches, but the most outstanding one is near Termini rail station. From there, the Borghese museum is not far. But to do both of those things would probably NOT leave you enough time to do more than have an outside visit to the Colosseum (and don't forget the Roman Forum next to it, also worth a visit...)

The Museo Nazionale is normally not very crowded but I can't vouch for June 2. The Borghese Gallery requires a timed reservation in advance.

Yes, I wish we had 3 days & I have tried to note transport times between the ship & ports. I realize being flexible is key.

Mom will go with the flow. 

I was leaning toward trying museums in AM & Ancient sites in PM; DD is more interested in Vatican than the other museums it appears. 

I was an Art History minor in college, so that appeals to me more...but I do want to see all and realize that won't be possible so  we will do what we have time for! 

Luckily we are in Rome 13 hours. We are always careful to budget PLENTY of time to get back to the ship.

13 hours ago, KKB said:

I was leaning toward trying museums in AM & Ancient sites in PM; DD is more interested in Vatican than the other museums it appears. 

I was an Art History minor in college, so that appeals to me more...but I do want to see all and realize that won't be possible so  we will do what we have time for! 

Luckily we are in Rome 13 hours. We are always careful to budget PLENTY of time to get back to the ship.

With the Vatican museum/Sistine chapel/St. Peter's you can get a bit of everything. The Vatican has an excellent collection of ancient Roman sculpture, as well as other priceless art. Be sure you ask to include it (it will eliminate the need to visit the Museo Nazionale also...).  Just be sure, if you go with a private guide, to tell them what you area interested in seeing. (For example, I could easily skip the map room and the tapestries, but others love them....)

The Sistine chapel of course is iconic and I'd think would be a must for an art history fan....

In a longish day, given the constraints of the holiday, I'd think perhaps I'd recommend you do the Vatican first, then spend the remaining time seeing the Pantheon, enroute to the area of the Colosseum and Forum for external visits only. 

It's unclear to me whether the private tour you are considering includes transportation to/from the port. If so, then $100 per person is a very good price. And you MIGHT have time later for an inside visit to the Colosseum, if that's also very important to you. I just caution that, based on my experience a couple of years ago, it does take the crowd a while to disperse. Not sure how close a driver will be able to get you to those sites (Colosseum/Forum).