tips for excursion guide and/or driver

tampadee

53 minutes ago, tampadee said:

Any suggestion how much to tip tour guides and drivers?

Some don’t tip any, we do however.  A shorter tour...$5 for driver and $5 for guide per person.  Up from there if outstanding or long. We have not tipped a couple times when the tour guide was awful...this has not happened often. 

So on my first Regent cruise I confess my ignorance and assumed that as Regent advertises tips included and shore excursions included, I thought the tips for shore excursions would also be included.  From reading on here, it seems a lot of people do tip and I may have been wrong about this.  On this last cruise my mom and I did, we gave $5 each to the drive and $10 each to the guide, roughly based on what I'd read here before.

Tips on shore excursions are definitely NOT covered by Regent.  We tip the driver (IF he has driven carefully) $5.   Then we tip the guide anything from $10 to $25 depending on how good s/he was.  This is for the two of us, not per person.  In Europe we tip in Euros but elsewhere in the world we tend to use USD notes.  Never coins unless you have coins in the currency of the country you are in at the time.  (Foreign coins can't generally be changed in banks, foreign notes can.)

The amount depends on what country we are in. I research the tipping culture of the countries we go to and where possible pick up sufficient currencies for the various places to cover tipping.   I don't tip USD unless i know for sure that USD are readily accepted in the country. It is rare but there are places where USD aren't always wanted or accepted because of currency restrictions.